Go Bottom Go Bottom

compact tractor comparison

View my Photos
homebre973
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-10          30847

I am looking for help in deciding on a reliable compact tractor for bush-hogging (4 or 5 ft mower) and gardening (front-end loader). I am seriously considering the Kioti 1914 or 2554 and the Kubota L2600 or B2410. Price and reliability are big considerations. I would appreciate any advice. [John Deere and New Holland are too expensive in my area]. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
RON M

2001-08-10          30848

It may be to your advantage to shop around a bit more. I was originally looking at a KIOTI because Deere and New Holland were too expensive. I couldn't even consider Kubota. I began to look on the internet for pricing and a dealer in Kentucky had great prices on KIOTI. When I went to a local dealer (well known), I was suprised at the pricing. A KIOTI 2554 w/loader was 13,700. I began to look at John Deere beecause someone told me about the 790's. A brand new 790 w/loader was 14,097. Thats 30hp vs the KIOTI's 25hp for only 400 odd dollars. I couldn't get the dealer to consider the prices that I got off the internet so I bought the Deere. I understand that KIOTI is a good tractor. I understand that they "borrowed" the design and engineering from Kubota. I couldn't see buying the KIOTI with the reliability level of the Deere. John Deere dealers are very busy pushing the 4000 series, so when I first went to John Deere, this particular dealer didn't even show me a 790. I went to another dealer. New Holland was still high. I love the 790. I runs and works great and you can steer the thing with 1 finger. It also has a great turn radius. Take a little more time and shop. It may be worth it for you. Good luck!!!! ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-08-10          30854

Ron, those 790s looked real good to me as well. Good hydraulic pump flow, power steering, mid PTO, and a proven engine/tranny combo. A hard combination to beat. ....

View my Photos
james mills

2001-08-11          30868

a few months back I got tractor fever in a bad way. I found this and other forums, read all i could, and made the rounds of dealers new and used, real and cyber. As i understand it, some of the better internet new prices are for factory direct, read partial assembly required, units. I really fell in love with the new deere 990 but way too much money. I found and purchased a forester package assembled by les distributors payeur which includes a 3 year old Kioti LK3054 and metavik log loading trailer. the tractor has 340 hours and was provided with substantial skid plates and falling object protection by payeur. I am very pleased with the power, traction, and operation of both tractor and loader, as a support for my portable sawmill operation both have become invaluable. I also purchased a walco whistler brush hog and have been taming the wild grass and hay around the 11 acres of orchard i just moved to. Short of catching up on the maintainence i think the previous owner neglected i am very happy with this $16,000 purchase and the new fel sits waiting for assembly. ....

View my Photos
JP

2001-08-17          31042

James, Could you detail the prices of all the gooddies you got? Actually I'm curious to see how do these tractors go for? They seem to be more reasonbly priced than the other brands... Also, the price you gave was it in Canadian or US dollars? ....

View my Photos
james mills

2001-08-18          31062

actually i bought the tractor, a kioti 3054, and the loader trailer, a metavic 1050 am12, as a package for 16,000. I did a lot of real world and internet shopping before finding this set up in a local want ad magazine. the previous owner moved up to a forwarder for his tree harvesting company, and i was the right person at the right time. i use the tractor and log loader as support for my woodmizer sawmill and for harvesting logs and firewood from my 86 acres. this combination is well suited for my operation though it was somewhat small for the previous owner, thus i was able to talk him down in price as he new i was his buyer for this special package. new these two sold for nearly $33,000 as a package from les distributors payeur www.payeur.com in canada. the tractor has extensive protection and skid plates along with rops and fops. to establish a relationship with payeur i bought a kioti loader and walco 6 ft mower from them, giving me a very versitile support combination for my sawmill and firewood operation. with less than 400 hours i feel that i made a good purchase at a very good price. the tractor is smooth and powerful and i have moved 10 ft 28 inch diameter red oak logs with ease. the mower has tamed the orchard though i have yet to insall the fel. this package definately fixed my tractor fever. james ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
james mills

2001-08-18          31063

sorry for the brain fade, the 16,000 was good old us greenback dollars ....

View my Photos
JP

2001-08-19          31092

That forester package is pretty nifty... Thanks for the feedback on pricing. Now I only have to keep looking for a good deal. ....

View my Photos
Randy

2001-08-20          31100

I looked at the JD 790, Ford TC29, and Kubota L3000. All three were priced pretty close in this area of New England. Th JD 790 had a 3PH lift cacity of only 813 LBS. The NH was the highest price. I bought the Kubota. I really like it. I don't think the Kubota L2600 comes with a dual clutch, which you are going to want if brush hogging is one of your tasks.

All three tractors are nice machines. The only down side about Kioti's in this area is a dealer that sells them. I would have to drive 70 miles to get to one with a service tech.

Happy tractor hunting ....

View my Photos
mlmartin

2001-08-20          31102

Are you sure that that 790 3ph lift capacity isn't in Kg? My JD870 (roughly compatable) has a 3ph lift capacity of 853 Kg (1880 lbs) 24 inches behind the lift link ends.
--
Matthew ....

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2001-08-20          31105

Yes, the specs for the 790 indicate the 3 pt hitch lift is in the 850lb range - not KG. I beleive the 870 is a larger tractor - hence the additional lift capacity. The 790 numbers seems low, but I have one and it hasn't been a problem - yet. I have a 550lb bushog and it lifts that and a 160lb person satnding on the tailwheel - no problem. If you do the statics, this is a little more than 850lbs at 24" behind the lift arms - maybe I'll try 2 people next time ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-08-21          31129

I think that capacity specs can be best interpreted as 'safe capacity' rather than 'physical capacity.' In terms of physical capacities, most similar powered tractors have similar diameter lift cylinders and similar pressure hydraulic systems. The physical powers are similar, and manufacturers would likely design cases and supporting structures to be adequate for the power that can be generated. Basically, the 3ph's of all similar compacts can lift about the same weight. There are other factors in lifting besides physical power. The weight distribution and wheel-base have major effects, but that starts getting into the idea of 'safe capacity.' Given recent liability awards against corporations, a manufacturer isn't likely to publish a high capacity with a bunch of qualifications. They aren't likely to say you can lift a lot but you have to have a bunch of ballast low on the front and you can't be driving up hills or over bumps. My idea of capacity is that if the hydraulics stall, then the load is too heavy. If there isn’t good steering, then there’s too little front ballast. I have to trust that the 3ph is designed to withstand what ever the hydraulics can lift and that the 3ph pressure relief valve is adequate to protect the 3ph against load shocks. With this attitude, I recognize that I am making various safety issues my responsibility, but it does simplify dealing with specs. I also have to recognize that too much ballast can damage a tractor. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login