Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hi Guys

View my Photos
tpulley
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-04-04          177785

Just popping in. I am soon to be an owner of a DK40. Hopefully by the end of the week. Looking forward to many hours of fun... errr Hard work....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hi Guys

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-04-05          177790

I was looking at that model. Please keep us posted on how it works out. ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-04-05          177791

First welcome to TP.
Second read your manual. Then at the tractor read it again being sure you can relate to each control it mentions.

Then get to work, err have fun, wait you can do both at the same time.
KT ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
tpulley

2011-04-05          177792

I will read the manual for sure (this don't classify as reading the directions, it is merely to inform users of the features of their product).

Thanks for the welcome.

Since I like to write I would guess that you will hear a lot about it. ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-04-05          177793

We will be glad to hear. Is this your first tractor or you 982nd one? ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
tpulley

2011-04-05          177794

This will be my first ever NEW tractor. I own a ford 3000 Diesel, 8N, and a MF backhoe currently. My father in law has 140, super A that we all use interchangeably. Gotta love the old 140's.

My newest tractor is the ford 3000 (late 60's model) no PowerSteering (PS). Never had a PS on a tractor before.

The wife, father in law and I are beginning a upick farm, in central NC (near Raleigh). The farm had been used for tobacco for years. We decided to make this drastic change to the orchard last year. With the bulk of the trees/vines and bushes being planted this year.

I really like the 3000 it is a strong pulling tractor. I am hoping the dk40 can handle its implements ok. From what I hear I can take 10hp off the tractor by adding 4wd. I really wanted a powerful tractor that is small enough to fit in between the rows of grapes that I have.

I won't get rid of the 3000 just yet, but hope to sell it at some point. ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-04-06          177808

Well hate to say it but you will loose the Kioto tractor..as soon as the FIL or wife uses it...its gone!

Sure wish had a magazine tossed recently about what you are doing. This is the insurance agent in me coming out and also having raised some produce myself. Get good liability insurance. You will want at least $500,000 if not a million in coverage. Be sure it covers people getting hurt on your property and the produce if it makes them sick. Find out from someone what records you need to keep on the chemicals you use, when you applied them and the rates and such. Then pray you never need any of that.

Hope the U-pick works well for you. Thirty years or so ago tried it a few miles south (about 20 west of Myrtle Beach) of you and learned my first name was "U". Also think that was when I quit eating butter beans looking back. It was a part time venture that quickly prove that field corn and soybeans were more my likening.

Am not trying to discourage on the u-pick. Berries here really work well here. Vegetables not as much. But you have a population that is so much greater than ours and they are not on vacation, golf course or retired. Grapes have gotten a lot of attention here from ex tobacco farmers. Not sure how well they are doing but some invested very heavy in them.
Hope you well.

Hi Guys

View my Photos
tpulley

2011-04-06          177809

Thanks for the info on the insurance. I have been probing to find out what it costs etc. For the first year or two we are trying organic. So chemicals are minimal. I will keep good records just in case I put to many praying mantis's on the area. :-) The area is about 5 miles from a town of about 4k people and 8-10 miles from the capital city, closer if you count where they have annexed).

I am looking to use it for some retirement income in about 10-15 years when I will begin thinking about that phase of life. ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-04-06          177810

No idea if same will be true in NC as in SC but here Farm Bureau is the lowest price you will find on farm insurance. Here they require your home first or some other line to go with it. My guess $600 per year with them and in a full blown commercial policy from anyone else about 2 to 3 times that much. Also a good source of insurance on your new tractor if you want or need it. Now that is now with U-pick on the land, no idea how much that will affect it. Animals would also affect it. NO I AM and never have been FM agent and compete with them often on other lines but not their farm coverage.

A thought and you need to be careful with it. Is this land on the same land as your house? If so your homeowners company may not keep you insured if they find out about the farm operation. But if not on the same deed as your house first place to ask is there. ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
tpulley

2011-04-07          177821

This land will be divided into two tracts the house on one and the farm on the other. This is currently my father in laws land. He is to make this over to us end of next year. His house is on the property as is. The split may not happen but that is the plan for now. He intends to give that (house) to his grandson at some point.

On a further note, there was a glitch in placing the order for the dk40. Seems they had some issues at the factory with their computers that the dealer couldn't place the order until today (a 3 day delay). I say all that to say this, the dealer had the DK45SE in stock with a loader already on it. It was the model I had test driven. So, I opted to get that one for an extra grand. I pick it up this am. I am renting an excavator tomorrow and feel I needed the loader to help clean the dirt away when it was here.

Thanks for the input. I am all ears. I am planning to call our local college (NCSU) who specializes in ag and get some feedback from them on various things. One of which is what grass should I plant? I want something low growing that is traffic resistant and the roots don't abuse the soil of nutrients. So much to learn... That is what life is though a life long learning event.... I love it... ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-04-07          177826

NCSU is a great Agriculture School. Most likely they have a lot of support on their web site. You might want to look at Clemson's also as they have a lot on their site. Not sure what school in Virginia is their Agriculture School but you may want to check them out to. Really do hope you well with this. ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
tpulley

2011-04-08          177831

Thanks.

Well I picked up the dk45 today. Drove it home it is only about 5 miles from the dealer. Stopped on the way home as I found a store that sells nonhighway use diesel. Saved me about .43 per gallon. Still it was about $3.42 a gal.

The road trip was good and uneventful. Got to the farm and couldn't wait to start using it. Father in law (FIL) had several loads of topsoil brought in a few years ago with the intentions of using it for filling in some low spots around the pond as well as widening the dam. I began to tackle this as my first "chore". I like the controls, I just have to learn the motor skills to smoothly go up instead of down, tilting back instead of dumping the bucket.

The 45 has great traction in getting a bucket load (72" bucket). When full makes it the back end bounce a little while moving about. I think I am gonna put either my disc or tiller on the back. Tiller weighs about 300# The disc is near #900 I think. I found I like medium range 2nd gear. It has power enough to keep the wheels spinning as I am grabbing a bucket load of dirt and good speed when transporting that load to the dump area (about 75 yds away). I found I like setting the throttle via the column throttle to about 2k rpms and when it starts to bog down use the foot pedal to get more power. If I dropped to a lower gear I didn't need any more that the 2k rpm. It turns over the tires fine.

I had a 20 cu yard of shredded mulch brought in a week ago. They dumped it in a less than desirable spot. I made quick work of moving that and clearing the path around the orchard.

I noticed two annoying things about the seat placement. I am a big guy with the seat all the way back. I found my right leg will bump the FEL control. Then on the other side my hip is constantly being poked with the seat belt.

I also found that my knee slammed into the key bending it forward.

So for its first 3 hrs it has been used as I hoped it would. ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-04-08          177832

Glad all went so well. You do have a SMV sign on the tractor if driving on public road, right? As to seat there might be another pattern (bolt) you can use moving the seat further back on the slides. You also might find beneficial to use the seat belt while using FEL to prevent sliding into the key or other parts. Many like to use a box blade on the point hitch when using FEL to balance and to level with. Would be careful with a disk as they extend a good bit making it easy to back into something. Of course that depends on where you are working. You may wish to look on youtube for videos of accidents with FEL. Might help prevent one.

About 20 years ago there was a good bit of pumpkins grown south of you. A very pretty fall sight as there were stacked for sale. ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
tpulley

2011-04-08          177833

I have a bod blade, I just wondered if it would be heavy enough. I am thinking I am going to put some balast in the tires. When i was younger I remember you could get something that went on the end of the water house. I need something like that but with a siphon that allows me to put antifreeze in there too.

You know. I do not have an SMV sign on there. I will need to get one. I saw the place to stick it.

I did wear the seat belt for a bit to test that feel out. I can work like that.

I am hoping you are right about the bolt pattern that would help a lot.

I will also check out youtube. I do not want to become a statistic....

I am still exploring ideas of what to plant. I have about 2.5 acres coming up in the late fall I will need to plant. I can't do agriculture (it is designated as horticulture for tax purposes) that requires 10 acres of open land. I think I will have about 7.5 or 8 + a 1.5 acre pond.

Thanks for the heads up. ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-04-08          177835

Will the pond work for water supply to irrigate if (rather when) needed? You will get different opinions on fill tires. If you are using the tractor to pull think you fill them. If you were using it for mowing only think you don't. As to filling them Tractor Supply should have the hose attachment to fill them. If you decide to do it yourself come back for suggestions on how to. Hey, you just bought a tractor, ask your dealer how they fill them, they may be willing to do it for cost of the materials if you take it back or just little more. Mine uses an air tank with plug they pour antifreeze into it and let the air push it into the tire. I have used short hose and funnel before adding any water. ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
tpulley

2011-04-08          177838

Yes the pond is going to be used for irrigation. I rented an excavator for the weekend. Trying to dig a hole to build a reservoir for the drought. Although this pond rarely gets very shallow. You never know when there will be a drought again.

If I were to break it down into percentages I am thinking 30% for loader work, 50% mowing and 20% other farm activities.

I may call them. I usually prefer to do things myself. I enjoy it and get a self satisfaction from doing it and saving money to boot. ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
lockhaven

2011-04-08          177843

Just a thought on the tire filling, A DK40 is a heavy tractor so I guess you will be mowing more fields then lawn. I have rimguard in mine and that makes for good traction and nice weight for the FEL. I have been told that filled tires are also better on hills a little more forgiving on the roll over.If you are going to fill them yourself some have done this by removing the tire from the tractor and using a funnel and hose to pour the liquid in then replacing the valve stem and topping off with air. some have used auto window washing fluid other water and antifreeze. I have been told tho that rimguard is much heavier then the water. Rimguard is beet juice so if it spills no environmental damage is done and it does not rust the wheels. ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-04-09          177846

If you fill the tires they are heavier, also if you need to handle them such as changing the wheel base width, mounting on tractor...they also have a moving weight to them so not as stable and needs more hands on to handle them. The handling of filled tires is a big reason to hire pros. But the filling is not hard most tractor people are able to to.

Park on level firm ground with valve stem at the 12 o'clock position. Block the front wheels, place jack to lift the wheel you will be filling. If you are going to do both at same time be sure you don't use a single jack as the front axle pivots allowing the rest of tractor to pivot and could cause the tractor to fall damaging it or worst you or even killing you. You need the weight off the tire, remove the valve stem's guts (some valves are two parts). You can use cut off water hose and funnel to fill the anti freeze or what ever fluid you want to install (you will need winter safe solution where you are). If topping off with water the pressure of it should be sufficient to fill the tire but only to the top of rim (read your manual for level they suggest). It is easy to drain if over filled but back to the last post, depending on what liquid you use it is can be toxic to at least dogs and children, so keep checking as you fill to prevent the issue. I have seen the water coming in be cool enough to show the water level as sweat on the tire but the most dependable to me is to disconnect and roll the tire with open valve stem to see where the level really is. If you over fill you will not be happy as there needs to be air in there to tack any shock or flex the tire needs to take.

You may need to keep opening the valve letting pressure out to allow for liquid to fill. Have seen the fill valves with a simple push button on them for such. Now that you have filled tires how do you empty them??? For if you need to haul them for repair or if you want to break them down for repair to replace tube or such your self it will happen. Never done this myself but wanted a pro, he jacked up that tire, rotated valve stem to bottom and remove valve stem guts and the air pressure pushed liquid out. Of course you may need to capture it. When air pressure ran out, he rotate the tire, added more air and rotated it again in place. Amazed me when I had just let gravity do a very slow job.

If the only reason to fill the tires was for the FEL use think would try to use weight on the 3pth. If you need it for traction disking, not much option. You can always add weight to your box blade if that is implement you use with FEL. ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
Calzwowz

2011-04-09          177857

what is a dk40? just curious. ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
tpulley

2011-04-10          177867

DK40 is the model of the Kioti. I think it should be DKXX SE the XX represents the horsepower. Th DK is the model part. Not sure what the SE is.

I am so on the fence with filling the tire with water. I can pick up a whole load of dirt and only in certain times does it start to get front end heavy. I am gonna try the box blade thing before I do it. I ran into an "issue" with the 3pt hitch. I am going to post that in the post egg on face as it seems more appropriate there. :-) ....

Hi Guys

View my Photos
tpulley

2011-04-17          178018

I put the box blade on. Made a noticeable difference in stability. I am now able to put in an oversized load into the bucket and the rear end isn't hopping around.

On a further note I almost got it stuck today. Last week I had rented an excavator and dug around the pond pulling out a lot of mud and rock. It came some really awful rain and winds yesterday. I was moving the dirt and rock away from the edge of the pond and it was kinda wet in there. The front tire went down into a hole and began to spin not moving an inch backward. Tried going forward notta. I was unable to move forward or back. Me thinks hmmm. Its time to try out your new best little friend... So I lowered the FEL lifting the front tire out of the rut. WHile in 4 wheel drive, pushed down the locking in both rear wheels tab, tipping the bucket tip which was pointed toward the rear, back toward the front. This was enough leverage to give me traction enough to get outta there.

I decided not to press my luck and wait until it dries out more before moving any more.

I LOVE this tractor. I am at 20 hrs now. I feel comfortable on it and it moves with ease around the place. I love the short turning radius it has even when in 4wd.

Hi Guys

View my Photos
tpulley

2011-06-05          178858

Well its been over 50 hrs. So far all is well. I changed the oil and filter yesterday. I have personally never seen a filter put on so tight. Man... I broke one oil filter wrench trying to loosen it. I changed to this thing that has a belt on it and a 3/4 in block that is hollow and accepts a 1/2 drive socket. It wasn't easy but it finally gave up the ghost.

I noticed on the Front bucket it has about 5 holes across the edge. Me thinks this is for either buying or making a plate for the bucket to put some teeth on the bucket. Hmmmmm. I can foresee in the near future this being made or bought. I Have a lot of smaller trees in a wooded lot that I am going to try removing. I think the tractor has the power it just has a poor gripping bucket for this.

Tractor is running well and performing up to my expectations. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login