Go Bottom Go Bottom

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
acerguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-09          93077

This spring I bought a 4100 with FEL and a 5' Landpride 3PH finish mower. It has about 470 hours on it. Before purchasing it the dealer (mid state equipment in Watertown WI) went through it and (allegedly) gave it a "full service". It has been a great machine with no problems up until last week. I turned it off after a good hour or two of mowing and FEL work. After a few minutes I went to start it again and got nothing. The starter doesn't engage. I checked (and rechecked) that the PTO is off, the parking brake is on, the tranny is in Neutral. Nothing. It appears to have plenty of juice as the lights are bright and when I turn the key to the start position I can see the dash lights dim a little. The low pressure light and the battery charge light come on like they are supposed to. I've checked the starter fuse, oil level, pushed the safety switch under the seat in while turning the key. Nothing. I can't seem to recall for sure but I think that that the low oil pressure light may have come on just before I shut it down. Again, the oil level is fine and I see no signs of anything (to my eye) wrong in the engine compartment. The only unusual thing I've had happen is the high temp light has gone off a couple of times because of the screen getting clogged with weed seeds. Both times I just cleaned it off, went back at it easy and the light went out within a minute. Any ideas before I call the dealer? Thanks!

Keith

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-09          93097

Battery? Just because it lights your dash indicators and seemingly has sufficient voltage doesn't mean it will crank over. If it has an internal short it could behave exactly as you describe. You could have your battery load tested for free at most any auto parts store. ....

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-08-10          93098

Had a similar situation with my Mustang. Lights and all worked fine but the engine wouldn't turn over very well. Diesels have much higher compression. My problem was the almost new battery. One cell was bad. Had I had the 20:1 compression of a diesel, it wouldn't have budged.

Next would be the starter. I can't imagine the engine running fine and then shut down and then not turning over being a siezed mill. Highly improbable.

Mike ....

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
acerguy

2004-08-10          93105

Well I suppose it would be easy enough to see if it's the battery. I presume that there would be no reason I couldn't jump it with another battery? The thing that throws me is that it acts EXACTLY like when you go to start it and it's still in gear. Perhaps there is a sensor that is connected to the tranny that is bad? (I'm going through a some electrical gremlin problem on my VW right now....oh brother!....I'm cursed!) Thanks. ....

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-08-10          93107

The sounds you hear can help you, some of which could be:

1)Engine turns too slow -- Bad Battery
2)Click Click -- Battery or Pull in Solenoid on starter, or corroded connections.
3) Spinning electric motor sound but no cranking -- Stuck pull in solenoid
4)No sound at all -- Safety switch or Battery, or faulty connection.

Have fun!

I would try to jump start it to eliminate some of the above first.

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-10          93127

I would check out the battery, first thing. Tractors are pretty hard on batteries due to vibrations and hard ride.

With nearly 500 hours it could have easily shorted out a cell. ....

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
acerguy

2004-08-10          93132

Well the dealer also suspects the battery so I'll check that out first and dutifully check back and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help! ....

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
JD855inWI
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-10          93142

Trouble shooting using a volt meter.
1. Set the meter to DC volts and measure directly on the battery posts; should be about 12.5 volts.
*Have someone turn the key on, voltage should drop slightly, about 1volt when the glow plugs come on.
+If it drops 3 or 4 volts, the battery is low.
2. Turn key to start, if battery voltage doesn't drop off more then it is in the interlock circuit.
+If it drops off like about to 5 or 6 volts it’s the battery
+If it drops off just another volt or so, then the bendix has energized, but probably not pulled in. If the bendix can't pull in the inrush current stays real high and will trip the circuit breaker or blow a fuse. I've heard this problem mentioned with some tractors, usually only happens with a hot starter.
3+If nothing changes in 2, move the probes to starter frame and battery terminal at the starter and try this again.
+If it voltage drops off more than before, you may have a bad connection, cable or clamp or ground path.

When the tractor is running check the voltage at the battery, right after starting. The alternator should be putting out about 14 volts to recharge the battery. After running for a few minutes, the battery should be recharged and the voltage will taper back off to about 12.5V. ....

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
Rammin

2004-08-10          93144

I had th same problem with my 4100 and it turned out being the wires connection to the ignition switch were corroded.I took and cleaned them and it started right up. ....

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
acerguy

2004-08-10          93147

I'll give 'er a try tonight. Thanks all. ....

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
acerguy

2004-08-12          93293

Well it's not the battery. And I cleaned all the electrical connections that I could get to (at least without pulling the whole thing apart). I've got the dealer coming out this afternoon. My guess is that it's one of the safety switches. We'll see...... ....

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
acerguy

2004-08-16          93643

OK guys....it turns out it WAS just the transmission safety switch thing had come unplugged. I just knew it would be something dumb like that. I wasn't there when the dealer came out and fixed it so I still don't know where it is located but I thought I had checked the thing over pretty well....Obviously I missed that one. Which leads me to my next question....who sells a "shop manual" for these things? That sure would have come in handy as the owners manual doesn't go into any technical details.

Thanks again for the help..... ....

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-16          93646

JD sells service and parts manuals for them. They're a bit spendy but worth it IMHO. ....

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
acerguy

2004-08-16          93650

Hmmmm....yep. $115 for the paper copy (part TM1630) from JDparts. $60 for the CD but they don't show inventory on either!?!?! Well we'll just see how much this service call is going to cost! ....

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-17          93719

This is the worst problem I have seen reported on a 41xx (not kidding!).... glad you got it solved. ....

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
acerguy

2004-08-23          94171

...as a followup, the dealer charged me $49 for the fix. That included $35 for the field call and $0.05 for a zip tie! :D I figure $13.95 for the knowledge of where to look for the problem is fair. ....

My 4100 won t turn over

View my Photos
zotter

2017-06-06          196723

Hi All,

Just found this thread and was having a similar problem with my JD 4100. From the list previously posted, I'm at this stage (this is exactly what is happening):

"3) Spinning electric motor sound but no cranking -- Stuck pull in solenoid"

How do I check the solenoid for this issue? Or do I just replace it?

I already checked the battery and it gives a solid 12V (plus I have a starter that I can hook up directly and it can't start the 4100 either, so not the battery.) The engine just seems to turn over and over, I can see the fan blade spinning but it never catches.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login