Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 455 garden tractor

View my Photos
Steve
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-10-27          9177

Any comments on how well a John Deere 455 garden tractor with a 60" mower deck will:1) Snow plow a 1200' gravel driveway with a front blade attachment2) Mow 5 acres of weeds in a field (no small trees or bushes)3) Level out dirt in a field with small ridges and valleys with a front blade attachmentI am looking to buy a used 455 with a 60" mower deck within 100 miles of Canandaigua, NY. Any offers?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Ben

1999-10-27          9186

I can't say I have experience with your exact situation, but I can give you my advise:1) the plowing question will depend in large part on the grade of the driveway. It may be difficult to plow uphill oh a steep slope, even with chains and/or rear ag tires (I think i'd recommend chains since you needn't worry about scarring your blacktop). Otherwise the 54" front blade will do a good job of clearing your driveway, although it will not be nearly as fast as a larger tractor.2)In my experience, finish mowers tend to choke on anything other than normal lawn. Although they do a great job of finish mowing, they don't do very well in tall grass or weeds. If your field is mowed relatively often, you may be able to pull it off with a 60" deck, but another option is the M40, a 40" light duty 540rpm PTO rotary tiller that Woods makes especially for the JD 400 series.3)as for dirt moving, I have no experience except the really loose stuff left after a larger machine is through with it, so I'm really not sure if the front blade will handle any packed dirt or turf. I know that the blade is really only designed for light dirt work, but you may be able to push that a bit. Anyway, i hope i've helped a little.P.S.-you've probably noticed but there's a 445 for sale on the board here somewhere, I just saw it in the new messages section. I don't know if you want to step down to kawasaki power from yanmar though. ....

View my Photos
Ray C.

1999-10-27          9188

You mind not like what I have to say. I had a JD318 with a 54"blade. I got about 500' of driveway.Granted the 318 is a smaller piece of equipment, but not by that much. I live in the Chicago area...where we do get some decent snowfall. 1.) I found the blade for plowing absolutely inadequate.Even with chains and wheel weights. The snow gets too heavy and pushes the tractor instead of the tractor pushing the snow.2.)That mower is a finish mower. It will not work too well in a field of weeds. Maybe if you get it under control after a few mowings and then stay on top of it you will be ok. It will have a tendancy to bog down if the grass/weeds are too much.3.) I never had much luck leveling dirt for the same reason as number #1. Not enought tractor for the job.I live on 3 acres. You must have some land there if you got 1200' of drive to plow.I ended up buying a JD425 for my mowing needs and a JD755 compact tractor for my tractor needs.In my opinion , a compact tractor is what you will need to do atleast jobs #1 and #3 You will just be disappointed with the equipments performance and you will beat the heck out of your equipment if you try to do those jobs with that lawn tractor.Sorry I couldn't be more positive....just trying to give you my honest opinionRay ....

View my Photos
John, SW Missouri

1999-10-28          9189

I've had a JD455 for a couple years. I have the 60" deck and mow 3+ acres of mostly flat land. I could not be happier with the machine for this purpose. It has the power to do all that you're asking, but it does not have the weight and the attachments are overpriced for their capabilities. I bought a JD4200 with 420 loader for dirt and drive work. It is very capable of doing everything that I can throw at it on my lot. I do have a neighbor who has a JD455 with a hyd. front blade. He has pushed dirt around but cannot break the soil loose with the blade. In other words he cannot dig with the blade and I doubt he could with a loader for the 455. Good luck. You might want to look into a compact tractor with a loader and bush hog or finish mower depending on your terrain and type of lawn. ....

View my Photos
DougH

1999-10-28          9199

I do not have experience with the 455, but my brothers-in-law and I have MTD 18.5hp garden tractors that are similar in weight and power, but certainly not quality.My B-I-L plows a drive about that long with no problems. It does take a long time which seems even longer in the cold of a Wisconsin Winter. If the snow gets too deap before he gets to it, he has someone with a tractor come and plow it.I have mowed about 15 acres with my finish mower. It takes a long long time. As mentioned, it does not work very well if the weeds are very high. It bogs down, clogs and just folds over the weeds instead of cutting. Part of the porblem is there is a shroud all the way around a finish mower while a rotary cutter is open, at least in the intake side. The rotary mower also has a larger area under it to allow the weeds to move up into the blades. Even the finish mower on my 4300 does not handle it that well and I usually wind up using a rotary mower. If you do get them cut once and keep after them, you may stand a chance. For dirt moving, it is just too light in my opinion. You might consider a low end JD or Kubota utility tractor or something like a Ford 8N. You could probably get the 8N, rotary cutter, box scraper and a loader for half of what you pay for a [new] 455.Doug ....

View my Photos
Bruce

1999-10-28          9214

You would be much better off adding just a $1000 or so and getting 4100 what your asking 455 to do with front blade will not work very well, not enough weight. ....

View my Photos
Steve

1999-10-28          9215

OK, I get the sense that the 455 may be on the small end for what I want to do (I placed the original question). Would a 790 work well for this application? Would not having HST on the 790 be a large drawback on both operating and resell? Would I need to get 4WD with a 790? ....

View my Photos
Mike

1999-10-28          9217

No,not having a HST would not be a big drawback,unless you plan on mowing,loader work,or blade work,and also trying to regain some of your investment when it's time to trade or sell.I'm not trying to be smart,but one day a standard trans will be a thing of the past.Yes,you want 4WD,when the snow falls,and for any loader work,you'll need that option,plus again it helps re-sale. ....

View my Photos
Brian

1999-10-29          9244

I have a JD455 with all wheel steer and use a JD blade to help clear 5 acres of woods in my back yard. Granted, it's not a compact utility tractor, however it does a nice job moving the soil if you're patient. I usually back drag with the blade in the lowered position and the front wheels off the ground. With all wheel steer you can direct the tractor with the rear wheels. It works best when the soil is dry. In wet soil it doesn't have enough traction to do a good job. I mow my lawn, snowblow the driveway, grade my woods, and even run a PTO generator with my tractor. Not bad for a tractor that will fit in my two car garage without leaving one of the vehicles outside. ....

View my Photos
John, SW Missouri

1999-10-29          9270

If you look at the 790 give the 4100 and 4200 a look also. I keep my 455 for cutting the lawn but bought a 4200 w/loader and 12" auger to kelp plant trees and put in fence posts. The 4200 was purchased this spring but I know it will do a fine job of clearing snow with the loader alone. You can put a mower on the 4200 but I wouldn't consider it for 3 acres. Just as a point the cost of a 455 with 60" deck is around $11,000 - the 4200 w/420 loader is around $15250. Why don't you look into a ZTR mower w/60" deck and a 4200 if you have any dirt work to do. The 4200 is only about $1500 more than a 4100 and has nearly double the capacities. Take a real look - the 790 is a light unit with very limited capacity. Drive the all. The ZTR mowers are nice and cut mowing time by 50% or more. If I had it to do again I would buy one instead of the 455. ....

View my Photos
Steve OF NJ

1999-11-09          9533

I bought a 455 in May of this year. DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE PERIOD! I love JD, but the 455 is by far the most over priced machine on the market for what it is. I was tricked into the machine by an autoparts dealer who happend to carry JD tractors. Sold me on the hitch, never told me it was only Cat. "0", which means you can't do much more with it, than a sear garden tractor! The loader is a bigger joke. The dealer said I would be lucky to lift 200lbs off the ground more than a few inches. Along with that, you can't not use the spools to control the bucket without effecting the 3-point lift. Real nice, dump or retract bucket to lower the rake? Real tractors in this price range, even in JD's product line, will blow away this machine in performance and quality. Go with the 4100 if price is an issue, or even the 790. I found a great dealer who is going to help me out of this overprice lawn mower into a real machine. Don't make my mistake, spend the $$ on a compact, you won't regret it. ....

View my Photos
Ken Fangohr

2000-02-27          13199

Steve, I'm curious what did you do? I'm in the process of moving up to a #455 from a #322 with all the attachments. My #322 was an excellent machine and pushed snow with no problems and did an excellent job of tilling. As for some of the replies, its been my experience you can always find something better if you have the the dough.
Ken ....

View my Photos
Steve

2000-02-27          13200

I just bought a used deere 430 garden tractor two weeks ago. This is the precursor to the deere 455, but slightly heavier. It only had 733 hrs on it. It has a 60" mower deck. Needless to say, I really have not had a chance to use it yet. I will let you know in a month or two how things are going if you have not bought anything yet. I was debating for months between something like this or a compact tractor. After I saw a neighbor roll his compact utility tractor over, I decided to go with this as my wife and sons will be doing a lot of the mowing. This is almost as heavy (1200 lbs)as the newer subcompacts but with a wider wheel base and lower to the ground, I should not have to worry about my wife or sons rolling it over. Also, I noticed that the price discount for used heavy duty gardent tractors was much better than the compacts. So this fit budget better. Since I am not going to day any front loader work, I think this will fit my needs. The rear end is incredibly beefy and I am planning on adding a Category O 3 pt hitch. The 430 can lift 400 lbs as measured 24" back from the tractor. That is all I need for a back blade, weight box, York rake, etc that I was planning on using on the back end. With chains and the weight of the tractor, I should be able to plow snow well with a front blade. ....

View my Photos
Steve

2000-02-27          13201

Ken, by the way, if you get your 455 soon with all the goodies, let me know how the attachments work out. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-02-27          13203

I have a JD4100 with gear transmission. I love this tractor and I use it for mowing, snow plowing, garden plowing and rototilling, and blade work/snow removal. It will handle what you want to do just fine-plenty power if you stay with the 4 and 5 foot attachments. I have a 52" rototiller, 14" one bottom plow, rear dirt scoop, 5' blade, and 54" mid-mount mower. Anything larger would be overkill for me-something to think about if you will be doing a lot of lawn mowing. In response to other posts regarding the gear vs. hydrostat transmission: I don't really mind the gear tranny, and it's really not essential to have a hydrostat as some have suggested. The hydro would be easier, but the issue is basically the same old automotive standard vs. automatic transmission argument. Both will work fine. You will have to clutch and shift the gear unit. Just like a standard car, clutching and shifting become second nature and you get to where you do it and don't think about it much. For mowing it's not that big a deal since you mainly mow in one gear anyway. For me, I didn't want to spend the extra $1800 for the hydro. ....

View my Photos
SteveofNJ

2000-02-27          13204

Just to add some comments on what I see;

-455 as a plus can lift 670lbs at 24" (I think) on a cat "0" hitch, which is nice. However I was hard pressed to find any attachments that worked with the cat "0" hitch. You can not just switch cat "1" pins to cat "0" and expect them to fit on your 455. Second cat "0" attachments seem to be harder to find and are more expencive when you do finally find them.
-455 can roll over too if the user is that careless! And no seatbelt or any type of R.O.P. on a 455. A compact has a seatbelt and a roll bar, and if used correctly, the compact is a safe machine. A compact isn't a lawn toy, and if you are not "qualitfied" you should not be operating it to began with. I would not even began to think of letting my kids or my wife use the compact unless they were cutting grass on a flat level surface, and were wearing the seat belt!
I have read stories about roll-overs with garden machine too. So that should not play a factor in the use of the machine.
-If you plan on cutting grass and tiling a small plot of ground go for a 455 if you can justify $12,000.00 for it.
-The resale of a 455 is not comparable to that of a compact. And, if you ever want to expand into a loader, the loader for a 400 series will run you around 4k by the time you buy tires and wts.

If you got to have a 455 , please buy a used one, and don't waste money on a new one. I paid 12,000 for mine and got 8,000 for it just six month later. Some trade-in value!!!!

Buy Big if you want to Dig :) ....

View my Photos
Roy

2000-02-28          13208

I was lucky. Looked at the 455 last Spring and Summer (along with every other make and model of larger garden and compacts), but continued shopping since nothing was exactly right. (Fortunately, I did not have to make a buy decision at that time). The 790 lacked the HST/PS I wanted, the 4100 was just too large and over my budget. Was looking for a garden/compact tractor mix. As soon as I saw a Kubota BX prototype in December, I knew it was right for my own needs. Price and size of a high-end garden, features and implements of a small compact. (Fits in my 2-car garage with 2 other vehicles, one bay is 22'. ROPS is low enough.) It will be interesting to see how JD responds. A sub-compact of their own, and/or substantially lower 4xx prices? Since it's new, no way of knowing what the resale will be. Guess that will determined on what people will categorize sub-compacts. (I expect JD, CC and NH will come out with their own models soon enough). I'm sure that over time, it will debated if they are high-end gardens, or low-end compacts. Personally, with Cat-1 hitch, 540 PTO, hydraulics and 4WD I think that they will become the smallest of the compacts. ....

View my Photos
Steve

2000-02-28          13229

Ken, one more thing. I looked for months and oscillated between a compact tractor and the 455. As I said, I bought the used 430. That was because I felt like it would meet my needs and I could afford it. However, if I had the money and was going to buy new (e.g., $12,000+ dollars) I would have bought the Kubota BX2200. It has the 4WD and Category 1 hitch, but is sized similar to a 455. I was not planning on doing any heavy duty front end loader work. I am going to do a lot of mowing and the Kubota was not so heavy it would rut the yard. However, you can always add a lot of weight for snow plowing, etc.

Just my opinion, but I thought I would toss it in since you seem to be looking for something similar to what I was looking for. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-02-28          13238

I agree with the posts which recommend either the Kubota BX series, the JD 4100, or the smaller Kubota B-series. I went through the same evolution in thought processes as you-started looking for a high-end garden tractor-and ended up with a JD4100. High-end garden tractors are not much cheaper than small compacts, and everything needed to make then perform (hydraulics, hitch, wheel weights, etc.) are extra-most of this stuff either comes standard or is not needed on the compacts. Almost all attachments for the garden tractors are available at the dealer only (at a substantial price), but you can pick up category 1 implements just about anywhere made by any manufacturer. When you add it all up cost-wise, plus also considering the resale values, it's much cheaper to go the compact tractor route-and performance is so much better. My 2 cents. ....

View my Photos
Roy

2000-02-29          13245

Steve, For the record, my BX2200 with a 60" belly deck and rear wheel weights was actually a little under $10k. A loader runs about $2,400 more (I have one on order). Who knows, maybe I was lucky, and Kubota wants to make an immediate market presence, and introduced at a discount, just to raise to list later (then, I'll count my blessings). Or, the model could flop, and I'll be stuck with a dog.

This is what amazed me, and made my decision so easy. The BX was less than the quote I received for a 455. All the other high-end garden tractors with a diesel engine (CC, Wheel Horse and even Kubota's own G), were in the same ballpark as the BX. For me, $ for $, it was a no brainer. Something has to give. Can't believe enough people will one-color shop for those models to survive at the prices I was quoted last year. I think we are going to see some changes in offerings over the next 2 years or so, all for the better.

View my Photos
Jim

2000-03-01          13316

Well I just unloaded a JD455, I had a lot of trouble with oil leaks on the unit. To make a long story short the tractor is overpriced for what you get. The parts are even more overpriced!!! I think the reason they paint them green is because it takes alot of green to keep them going!!! I bought a New Holland TC18 With all the bells and whistles for less then a loaded out 455. It is a little big for my application, but it does a great deal more! Besides the resale is much higher on a compact tractor then a garden tractor. I think that if the BX Kubota was available at the time that I replaced my Deere, it would of been a consideration. Although I am hooked on the compacts now!!

Just something to think about.

View my Photos
Roy

2000-03-03          13422

I agree, Jim. Did one year of research and shopping before buying mine. Concluded that ANY compact (new or used) is a wiser investment than a $10K garden tractor. ....

View my Photos
Ken Fangohr

2000-03-19          13944

Steve, You asked me to get back with you about my #455. Just to let you know I bought a used 99 #455 with 87 hours. The tractor belonged to a Deere employee and I got a good tractor and a years warranty. I also located a used Deere tiller/pto/3 point in the paper. The tiller works great and I feel will holds its own against any other tiller set-up available.

As far as buying the #455 I have no regrets and feel it is a very plush heavy duty piece of equipment. Deere has come alongs ways since my #322 was manufactured. Ken. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login