Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors

View my Photos
JD2210-KUBOTABX2230
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-03          89979

I no nothing about tractors, but we have decided the woman needs one, getting to old to haul dirt. I have been looking at getting a utility tractor, a JD2210 vs a Kubota BX2230, real close in comparsion, attachments will be a front loader, pull behind mower, and a rotary tiller. JD price for this package is around $14,000, Kubota's is around $13,000, we will use it for small farm and landscaping work, residential only.. I need some opionions and recomendations please..
Thanks
Newbie-Wantabe
PS: Yes it would be cheaper to get another Woman...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-04          90014

The BX has it by the price! When you can get more for less what is the problem? Just pull the covers off the spindles on the mower deck and look at the drive belts as well as the thickness of the deck. The reverse air flow on the radiator is great as it doesn't leave you sitting in the heat of the engine while mowing. Can you find a women with the mower you need? ....

View my Photos
Highlander

2004-07-05          90151

I have the BX23 same tractor as the BX2330 and I've moved about 75 yards of top soil with mine with NO problem. I've moved all kinds of things with it so far. get a rear blade for it they work well, I also have the 60" inch belly mower with it and it cuts the lawn great, best mower I've ever used it does a far better job then my Bolen does, but then again my Bolens 27 years old...needed to up grade. Good luck.. I love mine... It's better then a wife... ....

View my Photos
jamesrm1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-05          90156

Highlander, is your belly mower side discharge? I guess most of them are. I'm used to my mulching deck on my JD. With the mulching deck there are no clippings visible (as long as you cut often enough), does the side disch. throw grass all over the place? How easy is it to get the mower off of the bx23. It was a pain in the ass with my JD155. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-07-06          90165

Mower deck is a piece of cake to remove and install. No jacking or manuvering, just disconnect and roll it out to the side.

Deck discharge is to the right side. It will blow grass around if you don't cut often enough, just like any other machine will.

I have the 2230 with the 54" deck and bagger. Superb machine. ....

Link:   Deck and Bagger

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-07-06          90169

Deere and Kubota both build top notch equipment, so I'll just jump back on my old soap box and preach the good dealer sermon again. Your most importand decision is the dealership you are working with. How long have they been in busines, their reputation in the community, etc? With proper maintenence either tractor will last you a long time. Just curious, when you said get another Woman, do you mean you'd have two Women? On second thought that might work out cause then you could get both a Deere and a kubota, one for each Woman. Have a great day. Frank. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-12          90689

Go Kubota, All the VIP employees of Deere at the main head qaurters are snobs! Who wants to support arrogance? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-12          90691

I've seen plenty of arrogance on the Kubota side too. If your dealer isn't arrogant why punish them for the behavior of others? ....

View my Photos
JParker

2004-07-12          90693

If you are thinking about moving dirt and smoothing it, a rear box blade will be a must.

You may want to see if either unit has a rear position control (A quick way to go back to the same height setting over and over again). If so, I'd go for the feature over the color. I have a little larger model, but think in hind sight that would have been a good feature to look for. ....

View my Photos
mowhoward

2004-07-12          90726

I've put 100 hours on my 2210 since a bought it new last fall. The FEL and MMM are a breeze to take off.

The reason I chose it over the Kubota was the Deere's superior ergonomics.

The 3 cylinder Yanmar is also a plus. The 2210 has exceeded my expectations.

These 2 tractors are very similar. I would think it might come down to dealer and ergonomics/comfort whichever way you go. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-07-12          90732

I could say the same thing about my BX2230. I chose the Kubota for (among other reasons) the fact that the local Deere dealer wouldn't even talk to me unless I was going to spend $250,000. The New Holland dealer told me they didn't make a small +/-25hp diesel tractor. The Kubota dealer was friendly, knowledgeable and treated me like a valued customer. ....

View my Photos
mowhoward

2004-07-12          90733

So far I have a great relationship with my reputable dealer, too. Since the compact and sub compact machines come in several colors and are similarly spec'd, the reputation or past experiences with a certain dealer might be the deciding factor when buying a new machine. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-13          90748

Ken - It wasnt the deere dealer that diplayed arrogance, it was Deere themselves which you will probably never encounter an issue with them directly. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-07-18          91222

There are several things I look for in judging what tractor to buy. Loader BREAKOUT force, Loader detaching, and hydrostatic transmission operation.
I could care less if one brand lists a loader lift CAPACITY 150 lbs more than the other. BREAKOUT says when the loader arm stops moving up and you can no longer lift more no matter how much weight you hang on the back. I almost always lift things that max out the hydraulics and wish I had just a little more capacity.

When the loader is removed from the tractor, do the hydraulic control valves stay on the tractor or do they go with the loader. They better stay to operate other attachments like a blade or snowblower. Kubota has been notorious for stupidity with this but I believe they may have changed some of the tractors recently.

The hydro tranny needs to stop quickly if you pop your foot off in a panic situation. New Holland is the only one I found unacceptable. Also why have individual brake pedals if they are on the same side as the hydro pedal. They need to be on the opposite side so you can push the hydro and one brake to steer sharply. On the same side they can only be used easily when the cruise control is on, a time when it is less likely to be needed. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-20          91408

Good pionts. ....

View my Photos
idbiker93
Posts: 5 Garden Valley, Idaho, in the mountains north of Boise

2004-07-21          91562

I have 52 hours on my 2210 after going thru the whole Kubota vs Deere bit for about 2 months prior to buying. Went with Deere cause it was cheaper than what the Kobota dealer was quoting; and while I think the Kubota is a good tractor, I liked the green better! The 2210 has exceeded all my expectations! The mowing deck cuts much better than the Toro Wheel Horse that I had and the tiller is just amazing. When I finished tilling our garden, we didn't even want to walk on it it looked so good.

Just a side comment. Bought the 2210 in early March. The Kubota dealer called in late June to say he finally got an FEL in for the 3 or 4 BX's he received in March and was I still interested. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-07-23          91760

The kubota BX is a better choice. The 2210 has a lot of plastic, were the BX is still metal. I have seen guys do a lot of stuff with the BX23. Deere doesn't make a subcompact with a back hoe. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-24          91769

Goodluck idbiker...YOU'LL NEED IT. ....

View my Photos
mowhoward

2004-07-24          91770

idbiker,

I have over 100 hours on my 2210 that I bought last fall. My experiences and expectations reflect yours. It is a very well built and capable machine.

I think I will go over to Kubota forum and bash their tractors. Oh wait, I have a life. Nevermind.... ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-24          91777

What kinda life could a guy have in Missouri? The 2210 is a slightly oversized lawn tractor with a little itzy bitzy loader on it. Get a real tractor then we'll talk. ....

View my Photos
mowhoward

2004-07-24          91781

I live a very nice life. Thanks for asking. Your right, it is not a "real" tractor. It's a very capable subcompact utility tractor. If I needed a tractor, I would have bought one. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-24          91783

Capable of what is the question. Cutting the grass maybe? Moving some loose gravel around? a lawn mower & a whell barrow would have done that.

By the way - This arrogance i'm diplaying is rude huh? Now ya know how deere made me feel just 6 months after I spent over $20,000 with them not to mention other implents i bought from them. And I mean deere, not the dealer. Real nice huh. ....

View my Photos
mowhoward

2004-07-24          91784

Sorry about your bad Deere experience. Thanks for taking out your frustration on me. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-07-24          91787

Gras, I find your comments TOTALLY out of line and TOTALLY in opposition to the purpose of this website. Childish seems to come to mind with these types of comments. I agree with you 100% and will add that you are damn right about being arrogant. I could care less what color tractor you own. Your words to Mow are completely uncalled for. I think you might want to reconsider them and consider an apology to Mow. I guess this thread is on its way to the "Pointless & Hostile" section. ....

View my Photos
mowhoward

2004-07-24          91790

Thanks, Chief,

I agree wholeheartedly about the intent of these boards.

Many good points have been brought up in regards to the first post. The major players in this price/size category offer similar capabilities, each having different strengths and weaknesses. It is ultimately up to the buyer to carefully culminate all the variables before buying. The honest opinions and honest info of these boards is a good starting point. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-24          91792

Mow - I am sorry I got out of line with you. I have deep frustrations with the arrogance & way I was treated by Deere. I have a pleasant weekend. ....

View my Photos
mowhoward

2004-07-24          91793

grasgod,

Apology accepted. So far I have been treated very well at the dealer level. Unfortunately big companies can drop the ball, so to speak. All it takes is the actions of one decision maker, and you're hosed. Let's hope you have a different experience this time around. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-24          91805

Mow - I agree with you completely! And hopefully I wont get the same treatment with Kubota however, Ya never know I guess...so far so good. ....

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-07-27          92001

I've got almost 200hrs on my 2210 and still love the little guy. It has done everything I've needed so it's sized right for my personal situation.

A neighbor who has a Cat 416C is building a 10' high by 50' long retaining wall. He's putting re-inforcing fabric every 3rd level and backfilling after each course. Well, the 416 won't fit behind the wall so he borrowed the 2210 to do the backfilling. Sized right for the job. Of course I borrow his 416 when I need a backhoe. Life is good. ....

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2004-07-27          92002

On a similar note, I am trying to decide between a JD 4115 and a Kubota 7800 or 2910. Both handle the 72" mmm and seem to have a capable FEL. JD is rated at 24 hp and Kubota is rated at 30. I have always liked green but the spec sheet seems to be tipping the scale to the color orange. Anyone else go through this one? ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-07-27          92053

I am going through the same considerations right now. JD 4115 or Kubota 2910. Kubota does have some nice specs. I demoed one yesterday. Engine has more horsepower, Three point hitch has extendable links to ease hooking, Three hydro ranges, Nicer cruise control, and similar loader specs. I found the tractor unacceptable due to the loader not being "very easy" to re-attach, the bucket not being quick attach-(standard on JD), and the brake pedals being on the same side as the hydro pedal (ARE THEY RETARDED). That is why they added the type of cruise control they did. For the John deere, Less HP, No deluxe 3 point hook up, only 2 ranges, but is does have what seems to be a easier loader hookup, similar to the older New holland and the Internationals from the 70's. No kick stands to mess with. I think my wife could even do it in a pinch. Hydor is opposite the brakes, like they have been since the early 90's at least. Why can't everyone else get a clue. Better resale value but maybe not a huge amount. A local dealer has a 2910 with loader, calcium in tires, extra lights, a tooth bar, and only 41 hours and it looks it. It cost around 18000 new and he cant even get 14,200 for it now, its been for sale for 2 months. I know a 4115 would sell in days at that price, I would buy it. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-27          92054

The HP is closer than it sounds. The 4115 is rated with 20 PTO HP and the 7800/2910 has 22 PTO HP.

I would have been happy with either color. I bought the first TLB package I could find in this class and ended up with green. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-10-12          180834

This Thread was started the year I got my Kubota. After seven years I am still pleased with it. How are all of you making out with you equipment? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-10-13          180845

I have a B2710 and a M6800. Other than a gear having a tooth to break off ($1500) totally pleased with mine. Had a friend who had a L series here yesterday and he said only brand for him. Being fair bout any brand could handle the light load the last three years, then I think of the pulling of loads of dirt the M has done and the conditions and maybe not. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-10-13          180856

I'm very happy with my JD 4310. Had it about 5 years now I guess. Other than having a fogged instrument panel replaced under warranty it has required nothing but routine service. As PM the battery was also replaced with a AGM to eliminate the possibility of outgassing causing radiator corrosion. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2011-10-13          180860

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCTB | view 180834
This Thread was started the year I got my Kubota. After seven years I am still pleased with it.How are all of you making out with you equipment?

I bought my John Deere 4410 in November of 2002 and she is still running strong after nearly 10 years. Knock on wood, I have done only regular scheduled maintenance with the exception of changing out the battery for a sealed AGM battery to prevent radiator and oil cooler corrosion.

It has developed a really slow fuel leak I have not been able to track down just yet but I think it may be the fuel tank.

The eHydro transmission has worked well but if I had it to do over again, I would NOT get the eHydro. It just NEVER had a nature feel to it, it is a bit sluggish in response to operator input and gets even more snappy engagement as the transmission oil gets hot.

After digging a wildlife refuge pond with a John Deere 310G 4WD TLB equipped with a manual transmission and directional shuttle shift, I think that is the way to go. It truly did spoil me.

All said though, for the money, the little 4410 has definitely earned its keep. It is very small and with the addition of a set of John Deere 42 inch forks is a major asset around the farm and the beekeeping operation. It is also great for cleaning up and cutting trails in the forest for the hunt clubs and our own access. It is a fuel misser that burns about a gallon per hour.

Just yesterday I used it to level out and move around about 120 tons of base gravel mix for the farm entrance and parking areas. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login