Go Bottom Go Bottom

2210 Attachments Questions

View my Photos
millers1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-29          89600

2210 w/ FEL. How much rear weight is good and how does it mount?

I need to level and finish grade around a pole barn. The barn was put up last year, so the surrounding ground is hard and pretty heavy with weeds. After I knock down the weeds, what's the best implement to use to grade/level? Box blade?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jd2210
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-29          89602

This is a relative guess, since I haven't seen the property, but you will need to loosen that dirt so it can be moved around. One way might be to rent, or if you own, a 4' rear tiller and just go around the building until it looks like loam. These units can really a tiller. Alternatively, you might get a 4' box blade and angle the teeth down without (this can be simply adjusted with the top arm) pulling soil with the box and break up all the soil and then raise the teeth and allow the box blade to work. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-29          89620

Your owners manual should have some hard numbers to guide you on the matter of ballast.

A good rule of thumb is to add to the rear what you have on the front. I.E.: the weight of the loader assembly plus the weight of the load (dirt weighs 90-100 pounds per cu. foot).

I like a combination of wheel weights and 3 point ballast. You can factor in your own weight as part of the rear ballast equation as you do add weight in the right area.

That said, a good heavy duty box scraper and a some wheel weights will probably do the trick. ....

View my Photos
millers1

2004-06-29          89656

I plan on getting a box scraper anyway. Do you think box scraper could hold enough ballast (dirt) to counter the loaded FEL?

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-29          89660

A box scraper really doesn't hold dirt - when you raise it up any dirt it's moving falls out. I suppose you could get some bags of sand and stack them on top of the scraper to add weight though. ....

View my Photos
millers1

2004-06-29          89662

Yeah.. that does make sense. Guess I'll pick up a 3ph ballast box and fill it with sand or dirt. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-29          89663

Weight is weight. There's something to be said for spending the ballast box money on a useful implement like pallet forks or a carry all and stacking extra weight on them when ballast is needed. You could also use these to move heavy stuff around when you don't need the extra ballast. This might be something to think about. ....

View my Photos
millers1

2004-06-29          89664

What's a carry all? (guessing it's just a box that hooks to the 3ph?) Is that a dealer item or a Tractor Supply part? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-29          89665

It's usually just a flat platform with a back that goes on the 3-point to carry stuff around. Picture a set of pallet forks with a piece of plywood on it. I got one from Borgford, but there are similar products available from other places. We don't have TSCs around here so I'm not sure what they have. ....

View my Photos
millers1

2004-06-29          89671

OK.. sounds similar to one of those racks I have for my truck.. but it slides into the reciver hitch.. Thanks ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-29          89672

You could buy a receiver hitch for your tractor and use your carry all on both the truck and the tractor. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-29          89673

As I think about reusing your trucks carry all with a receiver hitch on the tractor I realized that may not be the best way to go. It would mount higher than a 3-point design and may raise the center of gravity more than you'd want. ....

View my Photos
BH3131

2004-06-30          89724

I would use the money on a 4' box blade. The weight it provides is just fine and once you get a handle on how to use it, you can get a lot done. Save the time of switching back and forth. ....

View my Photos
quincy

2004-06-30          89726

I have a ballast box. It works well for my needs. Ifirst used crushed stone for weight, the first time I tried to reattach it to the tractor it all but killed me. I emptied it and then used bags of gravel,so I could take the weight out quicly,and or adjust the weight for different tasks. ....

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2004-07-05          90121

Unless it is for the lightest of tasks, DO NOT use the 210 loader without correct ballast. I almost learned this the hard way -- carrying a full bucket of topsoil (with a York rake on the 3PH) and turning on a slightly downhill lie. Fortunately I was able to lower the bucket quickly enough to catch the tip -- otherwise I would have joined the upsidedown club... Now I use the weight bucket filled with concrete, and find it provides good counterballance to the loader load. I previously had a 755 that I never used the weight bucket with, but the 2210 is some 400 lbs lighter and distributed entirely differently. IMHO the attachments you are talking about are not enough counterballance.

Cheers. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login