Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor security and temporary storage

View my Photos
paluvsjoshua
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-11          88341

Planning on leaving my new tractor on a parcel of land for a few weeks. Anyone have any recommendations for securing both the tractor and LX5 rear cutter? Also since this is an open 4 acre grass lot, any suggestions for protection from the weather? I realize that green and yellow left on a field is a magnet for theft so I am very apprehensive about leaving it overnight while I complete work on the lot.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-11          88342

We often have the same problem. Depending on how long we need to leave the equipment out for we use one of two different methods.

For longer terms we use a shipping container, it is very secure and is also weather-proof. Many of the bigger rental companies now rent out containers by the day, week or month.

For short term or in special circumstances where we cannot place a container we just use a security company, most big companies will have a canine division. They put up a temporary fence and shelter (usually a cube van that also brought the fence panels) and then turn a dog loose in the fence. It is surprising how cheap this can be done. A 150+ pound Rottwieller tends to ensure things are still there when the sun comes up.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-06-11          88349

That sounds pretty risky. How far to a neighbor where perhaps for a few dollars you could leave it in a less tempting setting than an open field. We used to leave farm equipment in the field overnight, but now with higher transport speeds and easier folding more road friendly equipment, and fuel tanks big enough for a big days work we think nothing of driving 20 miles home for overnight parking and next morning service work and fuel. The days of hauling fuel to the field in portable pickup transer tanks got old in a hurry when water and dirt problems with fuel got to be a real pain. There was a 4410 Deere and loader stolen localy and was recovered later I think by the insurance company. Frank. ....

View my Photos
paluvsjoshua

2004-06-11          88354

Your right... Just contacted someone to keep it in their yard. Still going to lock the LX5 cutter to the tractor somehow. ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-12          88366

Just wrap a chain throught the lift arms of the cutter and through the frame , or over the axle or through the rim on the tractor. I wouldn't worry too much about the cutter vanishing by itself, itis probably harder to steal than the tractor as a whole. You need 3-4 guys to lift it and place it in a truck or on a trailer. Between disconnecting it, and hefting it away, that's pretty risky just for a cutter. If it were some expensive contractor type implement for construction EQ, that might be more tempting.

Many people around me has tractor and compact tractor EQ in plain view and I haven't heard of any thefts. Even the JD dealer has no real security and his tractors and implements stay put. I have heard of construction EQ disappearing though from a local guys lot, but that's probably from past employees.

Due to space concerns, I have the tractor, RM, RFM, BB, and weight box all partially out of sight behind the house, but hardly "secured". So far no problems and I don't expect any. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-06-13          88396

Hardwood brought up an interesting point. 40 years ago the worst thing that usually happened was loosing a few gallons of fuel/gas. We never topped off at night...

However as cabs became common, curved glass and stereos VANDILISM has became the problem.

Now it's cut tires, fuel lines, hoses, smashed windows, broken guadges etc...

I also believe it's not limited to unsupervised kids. It's tree huggers, peta's and that list of whackos goes on and on. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-06-13          88442

So true, so true

If they just let teachers smack kids when they do something wrong in school. They wouldn't do thinks like that. I never did that. Most of the time its a key chain kid. No parents supervising them. They get into all types of trouble.

For the tree hugger and wackos a let the cops beat the crap out of them when they get caught. That keeps people from doing stuff again. A written warning or ticket doesn't do much. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-06-14          88444

Gottabegreen
THAT IS SO POLITICALLY INCORRECT!!!
But its exactly the way I think!
For ten bucks a month I have replacement coverage and it replaces it with a NON depreciated tracto if it never returns. Also covers any accident, and I mean ANYTHING even if I roll it! 10 bucks is a bit spendy but think of it as a sleeping medication! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-06-14          88447

I'm wondering why someone hasn't came up with some sort of a motion/sound/light detector kinda like the alarm things on a car that honk the horn, (usually till the battery goes dead). Seems like back in the seventys or eightys that driveway alarms got kinda popular but I haven't heard much about them since. I don't know much about dogs, but I'm sure if your dog bit a thief you'd get sued even tho the thief stole your tactor. Anybody know something about alarm systems? Frank. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-06-14          88460

That sounds like a good idea for a new product. Has anyone seen something like this on the market? Does anyone else think there would be a decent market for this kind of contraption?

If it is was 12V compatible, you could connect it to any battery even if the unit you wanted to protect didn't have one. It could also be powered by one of those jump start battery devices. In addition to sending off an alarm, it could flash lights or have a kill switch making the tractor disabled for a half hour or more.

I've been lucky with not having any vandalism to my home or equipment. Out in the country, most of my neighbors know me and watch out for my property. I've also made a reputation for myself as being a "wacko" when it comes to people messing with my stuff. My one neighbor drives around following cars that appear to be somewhat suspicious. About a month ago a number of neighbors had some solicitors dropping in to see who was home in the neighborhood in this beat up van. They said they were selling Kerby vacuum sweepers, ya right. About three neighbors got together and urged them to leave cause they thought I'd be around soon and shoot them. Darn, I missed them by about 5 minutes. My neighbors were really scared that I would do something to them. It worked!!!! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-14          88462

There are alarm systems available, in fact almost any good car alarm system can be easily rigged to work on a tractor or other equipment.

I have seen people rig up simple alarms using a deep cycle RV battery, mtion sensor and a few lights and noise makers. The problem is they often go off from animals or such. People in the area may investigate the first few times but the novelty wears off, as does their patience, real fast. The thieves merely disable the system then wait a little while, go back and help themselves.

This happened to a local municipality near me. They lost 4 trailers completely loaded with turf equipment, total loss was over $200,000 according to the news reports. The thieves merely cut the lock on the gate then cut the wire to the alarm horn, then sat nearby and waited, when nobody came to investigate they hooked up to the trailers and drove away.

Bottom line, locks and alarms only stop honest people.

The reason we hire a security company to provide dogs is simple, no maintenance or liability, the dogs bite someone they sued not me.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login