Go Bottom Go Bottom

exhaust pipe sparks Very Stuck

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-24          86692

Hi Guy’s, Heres really to posts. I think the sparks where nothing, but i really need to get the tractor out of the stream...

Friday night I was out doing some light rough cutting (grass) and running at the rated RPM. It was a really light load on the tractor, and 3 sparks came out of the exhaust pipe. I have the JD 790 w/ 17 hours on it. It didn’t loss any power; oil level is fine and runs like a champ…..?.... So any ideas what happened?

Also Saturday I was moving some dirt around and making a ramp down to a stream to cross it…I ended getting quite stuck after the front wheels went into the stream. The bank is muddy and about 8 inches tall. The back tires are slipping. Is it safe for me to put a chain and come-a-long on the clevis and pull it up?
The tractor is at a slight angle and when I try reversing it continues to slide to the right, and if it gets down there it would be bad news…
Thanks,
Brian

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-24          86693

Yes, you can use a come-along to slowly pull it out while in neutral. Keep your anchor point low, so you don't tip it. If you are only a little bit stuck you can try the following.
1. Tilt you loader bucket all the way down past vertical
2. Lift the front end off of the ground several inches
3. While in 4WD and reverse, pivot the bucket back up. This pivoting motion should give you 6-12" of prying motion to push you out backwards. At the end of this motion, your front wheels will touch the ground and hopefully you have enough momentum to keep going out backwards.

If it was dark at night and you went from lots of idling with no workload and then to light duty working, it is not uncommon to see a few sparks from burning out the carbon. You generally in daylight will see some black smoke and be able to smell a greater amount of exhaust fumes. ....

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-05-24          86694

I tried using the bucket but i had no such luvk this time..
Is there anything in the front of the tractor that i can put my chain around and pull the front end back on to the path?? ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-05-24          86698

I would be very careful about trying to pull the front end sideways to get it back in line. Don't pull sideways on the loader. Don't know you actual situation so it is hard to judge how bad your situation is. I would crank the steering wheel in the direction you want it to go and slowly pull the tractor around with the come along from the rear. Do you have anything mounted on the 3 point hitch? A slight offset pull on the 3PH, carefully done may help to straighten it out. You want to be careful, not to jerk too hard or too crooked. ....

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-05-24          86699

I have my LX5 Rough cut mower on there now..

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-05-24          86702

I just added a few pictures of my predicament.. ....

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-05-24          86704

I hope I'm not stating the obvious...you did try to raise your LX5 before backing up? Is there any way of going FORWARD? The pics must not do your situation justice, it sure seems like with the differential locked, you could pull yourself out, especially with the weight of the LX5 in the air...good luck! ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-05-24          86705

From your Picture #4 it looks like your mower deck is stopping the unit from going backward since the tractor has drifted to the right. Is there a way that you could disconnect the mowerdeck and drag it away with a 4wd pick-up. Your treads are full of mud and have zero pull. The other pictures look like you are pointed down at a fairly steep incline putting all the weight on the front. That is why the rears are just spinning. Using the loader, can you lift the front end and lay logs under it. If the rears have spun a depression, dig a portion out behind at a more gentle slope. If you have a 4WD pickup put a long chain or nylon rope onto it and pull gentle. Your pickup won't pull much but maybe enough to get it moving. I'd be very careful about trying to pull it out backwards and anchoring anyplace on the mower deck. Does anyone else in the neighborhood have a tractor to help you out. A tow truck may be the best answer before you get into more trouble. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-24          86706

Regarding exhaust sparks, they are not uncommon. In our area spark arrestors on the exhaust are mandated by law to prevent woodland fires. If you are in a wooded area you might look into getting one. I think the dealer charged me around $15 for one IIRC. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-24          86707

Just looked at your pics. They remind me of the time I got stuck (see my pics). The R4s plugged and wouldn't develop traction (since traded for R1s). Anyway, I got out by laying down a bunch of branches under and behind the tires and that gave me enough traction to get up the hill. Of course you'll want to raise up your cutter, be in 4wd, and use your differential lock. ....

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-05-24          86727

Unfortunately I haven’t a truck and I don’t know any one up here yet. My Nissan sentra won’t help.. And all this rain we've gotten isn’t helping matters. I can get the LX5 off of the mud, but it will have to stay on there, I won’t be able to move it. Pulling forward doesn’t help any. If I get off to the right any farther I won't be able to get it back on the path. The drop on the top is only about 2 feet but it’s a very steep 2’. I took these pics after a called it quiets for the day. I'll have to raise the front end up and try to block the fonts, and dig out the backs a little and chain to a near by tree and pull on it a bit.

Thanks for the input on the sparks; I was a little worried something wasn’t right with the engine.

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-24          86737

Have you tried cranking the top link all the way in? ....

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-05-25          86786

Last night i was able to turn the top link in a bit and got the cutter a bit higher off of the ground. Its so muddy and slick i must have taken a spill at least 4 times. I managed to get the tractor back on the path and straighten it up some, with the come-a-longs. There's a guy next door with a big old Case tractor i'll pay him a visit. I got some one with a 4x4, and tried to pull it how it lies now put the truck couldn't budge it.. I left the chain around the tree I pulling with so if we get any more rain, i shouldnt lose to much ground. Check out pictures #5-10. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-25          86791

Three suggestions.

First, remove the toplink completely and using a come-along pivot the cutter up as far as the driveshaft wiill allow, then use a chain in place of the toplink to keep it there. This will add a lot of traction to the back wheels.

Second, speaking of traction, get as much mud out of those tires as possible. Then use a shovel or rake to get any dirt out from around the tires, even a little hump of dirt will hinder it moving.

Third, drop the FEL right where it sits, all that weight that far out front is a big problem. You can always drag it back up the hill later.

I would do all three of the above, then using ANYTHING to gently pull on that chain, try backing the tractor up in the lowest gear it has. Do NOT let the wheels spin even an inch. That will cause two problems, tires packed full of mud and a bigger hole to climb out of.

As a last resort, drive down the hill and turn around then clean the treads out & look for another spot with untouched ground cover that you would have a better chance of getting up.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-05-25          86793

Your rear wheels are in a rut from spinning, making it more difficult to get out. I thought for sure that you could have gotten it out with a 4 x4 in combination with digging out, backing up and using the loader to pry. A bigger tractor can get you out but make sure he pulls slowly so he don't bend something. ....

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-05-25          86794

If I drop the loader how much trouble will i have moving it back up there? Unfortunately there is no place to go ahead and turn around… If I could get some one with a FEL could they pick up the LX5 and get it out of the way or is the extra weight going to be helpful after I pick it up closer to the back end…

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-25          86796

As long as the bucket bottom is close to parrallel to the ground it will skid along on it just fine when dragging it from a 4"x4" between the two mounts.

I am a little confused about not being able to turn around, in the original post you said you were making a ramp down to a creek in order to cross it, is the stream valley so soft you can't drive on it?

You WANT the extra weight of the cutter for traction on the rear end, especially if you have to reverse up that hill. But don't even think about climbing that hill until you get those tires clean, and even then make it a slow straight climb with the diff. lock engaged.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-25          86798

I am a bit afraid that when he drops the FEL that big mower deck will over balance and pull the front wheels off the ground.

Do you own a high lift jack? Any auto parts store shuold have one. They pull as good as they push.

If you can get the jack in the middle of a length of chain and wrap one end around a sturdy tree you can slowly winch your self out. Use that come-along to take all the slack out of the chain before you start running the jack. ....

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-06-01          87402

I'm hoping you rescued your tractor.
How did you get out? Have you looked at the threads, I Hate and I Hate My R4s, part 2?
Best Luck,
bliz ....

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-06-10          88237

Back in business!! Thanks all for the suggestions. I finely got it out Monday night. I went went down the road and had the guy with his big old case come over and we put a 1" 25' cable under the LX5 and on to the clevese and put mine in neutral and turn the wheel alittle and the next thing i new i was back up on soild ground. He wasnt over for more than 10 minutes...

I just check for any water in the filter and check the oil and greased every thing up and went to work...
Thanks again, Brian ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login