Trade X475 for 2210 : John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Trade X475 for 2210 : John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 02-15-2004, 11:10 Post: 76917
Garycorn

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Trade X475 for 2210

Hello Friends,

I live on 5 acres in Nebraska, most of which I mow. I was raised on a farm and have operated tractors all my life. I have had a couple of different Ford tractors with loaders to clean up tree limbs and snow. Used a Dixon to mow for 17 years and more recently a Sears rider. This fall I decided that I wanted to get something better for mowing since that is most of my tractor work. Only use the Ford 861 about 10 hours a year so I sold it. My Father-in-law had an old and pretty rough Farmall M with a loader that he gave me for the heavy work.

I bought a new X475 in October and really love it. I had the 3ph installed and bought a used blade from the dealer. I got the 62C mower deck and found that it has plenty of power to operate it. Shortly after my purchase I found this tractor site and while I only have a garden tractor and not a CUT I have learned a great deal from you all.
I've lived here 24 years and this is the most snow we have ever had. That little tractor with the rear blade can move more snow than I ever imagined! I love the hydro transmission. I use it more than the big M.

My father-in-law lives here with us about half the time, he is an old (81) retired farmer and loves to putter around on the tractor. We had talked about adding a FEL to the X475 this spring so he could play around with that. I went to the dealer last weekend to see if he had any used equipment that someone traded in for a snow blower or front blade. He didn't have anything but did price me a new 45 FEL for the X475- $3,000. A lot of money for a light weight tool.

He started talking to me about a 2210. He has 2 coming in on trade. A couple of customers have gotten larger acreages and are moving up to bigger tractors. One only has about 15 hours on it. Both have FEL. Should have the first one in 2 or three weeks and he will call me when they come in and let me come over and play on them. He said I could probably trade in my X475 and less money than the cost of a new 45 FEL.

I think this might be a very good idea. Better loader, 4WD, better 3ph, rear PTO. Trading gas for diesel has both good and bad points. Could sell the Farmall and let the 2210 do everything. I researched this forum for 2210 info and it seems to be a good tractor for the money. I love my X475 and realize I would be going from a top of the line garden tractor to a lower end compact but I would have a lot more machine. Would miss the cruise control but see no other drawbacks.

Any advice from the forum members would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Gary

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 02-15-2004, 11:23 Post: 76919
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Trade X475 for 2210

If you went to a Kubota BX2230 it does have cruise control.

02-15-2004, 12:37 Post: 76925
mowhoward

Filter by User
 Trade X475 for 2210

Gary,
I would definitely try one out first. If you are going to be primarily mowing, I think the 2210 is a great choice. The 62" MMM is very easy to get on and off. You might find the FEL a little lacking at first, but if you equip your bucket with a toothbar, it works pretty well for what it is. I would also look into a 3 pt hitch adapter which will allow a ball hitch for trailers and chaining logs, etc.

I couldn't be more happier with my 2210. If you liked your X475, and don't expect big things from your FEL, I think you will like the 2210 with 4 wheel drive. I think the Yanmar diesel is a big plus also.

NOTE: I am a 2210 owner, not a JD dealer, and certainly not a competitor dealer. Feel free to email me.

02-15-2004, 14:46 Post: 76933
Garycorn

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Trade X475 for 2210

I'm on vacation this week. I think I will take Art's advice and look at a BX2230.

Mowhoward,
Yes I realize the FEL will not be able to do too much heavy work. I don't have too much need for that, perhaps I can one day get a box blade to help with dirt work. Anything really big I can rent something for.

Thank you both,
Gary

02-15-2004, 17:59 Post: 76961
bigpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Trade X475 for 2210

Sounds like you are making a logical decision. Since it was obvious to me from your post that you are not necessarily shopping for a new machine, the suggestion of going over to a Kubota dealer to trade a used JD X series for a new BX sounds like it came from a Kubota dealer. That suggestion is a completely different logic than you have applied, i.e. comparing the cost of your loader add-on for your X to the cost of trading in on a good used 2210. You can go ahead and talk to the orange dealers in your area if you think the cruise conrol is worth it. Make sure you price out a NEW 2210, or a 4110 which is much more machine than either the BX or the 2210, as well. It'll cost you quite a bit more than the deal you are considering. I'm not sure I see any other features besides the cruise on the BX that beats out the 2210. Please come back and post your findings if you do shop brands and price. When I went from a JD 445 to a sub-compact, the Kubota dealers basically told me (with their trade-in values) that they were not interested in having used green machine in their inventory. Remember, some folks on these boards sell the brands they recommend and might not really be considering your best interests. I owned a 2210 for over a year and chose it for its greater 3-Point capabilities, more user friendly loader and mower attachments, and more user friendly loader control and hydro pedal features over the BX (just my opinions). I'm sure you would be happy with either, but I can personally recommend the 2210 as a past owner.

02-16-2004, 07:20 Post: 77002
Garycorn

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Trade X475 for 2210

I agree with you Bigpete. I realize that my John Deere dealer will give me a better trade for my X475. I also don't think I can trade for a new machine either BX or 2210. My dealer said that the X series tractors have a better trade in than the 2210. So you know he has a good market for my tractor if I choose to make the trade. A near new 2210 for the deal I am looking at is my best oportunity. But it is winter and not much to do outside, might look at the BX for fun to compare the two.

I was 7 years old when my father tied me to the seat of his JD 70 and I drove the baler while he stacked bales on the hay rack. Later he got a 730 and I spent thousands of hours in the fields on that tractor. When I was in high school he got a 4020, wow what a great tractor! So I pretty much have JD in my blood when it comes to tractors.

02-16-2004, 09:49 Post: 77015
bigpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Trade X475 for 2210

Garycorn,

Enjoy the reaearch. That is a big part of the fun. Let us know how the model comparisons work out for you, and how the cross-brand trade-in values work out. I'd be curious to hear about your experiences. I'm sure if you were trading a 'Bota in on a Deere, it would be pretty similar. Pluses and minuses come with both brands and you want to see it for yourself. It gives you a chance to get to know the dealers a little better which will help you with your thinking the next time you are considering an upgrade or implement.

My Dad grew up on a farm and was a design engineer with Deere in Waterloo in the Fifties before going into engineering academia at a major midwest university. I didn't grow up on a farm but spent most summer months as a youth working with relatives on family farms in Iowa and Kansas. You can guess I saw plenty of green paint on toys and machines as a kid, just like you. The green paint isn't always the best choice, but it does "color" your perspective quite a bit. BTW, all those family farms are still in the family. Don't know how many more generations that can last. 75% is now leased out to bigger operators and arable land is in huge demand in the midwest in a big, big way. Every operator has to get bigger and bigger to survive these days. Pete

02-16-2004, 10:23 Post: 77020
ScooterMagee

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Trade X475 for 2210

I did my comparison-shopping about this time, last year. I compared the X595, 2210, 4110, BX2200, and BX22. I am on 2.5 acres in Eastern Nebraska. In the end, I opted for the 2210. For the most part, Iím very happy with my choice. However, I wish I had included the MF GC2300, NH TC18, and TC21D into the mix for comparison. In addition, there are times where I wish I had gone with the 4110 (or similar sized machine). But, I think in the end, when my landscaping projects are completed, the 2210 will have been the right choice for my property and usage. Still, I would never rule out trading up, at sometime.

02-18-2004, 20:07 Post: 77261
Garycorn

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Trade X475 for 2210

I went to the Kubota dealer today and they had a new BX2230 there which I tried out for a few minutes. I was very impressed by the tractor as a whole. Price quote was Tractor, FEL, 60in. MMM, wheel weights, full fuel tank, delivered: $13,000. He wasn't much interested in taking my X475 in on trade, which is understandable. I'm going to the John Deere dealer tomorrow. I'll compare the BX to a new 2210. Of course the best deal will probably be the used 2210 but it may be few weeks before the dealer gets these in. It will be interesting to see the price difference between trading for a new and a used one.

02-18-2004, 20:36 Post: 77262
mowhoward

Filter by User
 Trade X475 for 2210

Gary,
Sounds like you have it narrowed down to two very similar and very fine machines. They are very similar priced and spec'd. It may come down to ergonomics and convenience. Convenience being things like how easy the FEL and MMM come off and on. I did not mean to overstate the limitations of the FEL in my previous post. I have used it a lot more than I thought I would. I have loaded it with firewood, brush, built a creek crossing, leveled paths, etc. So actually I'm very pleased, and for what it appears you will be doing, it should be just fine. Just make sure you have the proper amount of rear ballast. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 76917 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | bigpete 4 | Garycorn 5 | mcgavic1 1 | mowhoward 2 | ScooterMagee 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
shovelhead

Shibaura - Electric over Hyd p21f
Electric over Hyd p21f

Unanswered Questions

Belarus 825 - needs a new clut
Drain Cock
Need more hydraulic flow for s
HINOMOTO HB 501
Belarus 420A - Problems bleed

Active Subjects

460 Long hyd leak
460 axle
Key will not start engine
6x4 engine rebuild vsHarbor Fr
Things we say and what do they
The Plus and Minus of Ignoring
Looking to buy a New Pickup Tr
Need more hydraulic flow for s

Hot Topics

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch s
Duerr hp 678 Chipper replaceme
Gator 620i gas in engine oil
KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
Duerr hp 678 Chipper Manual
Adjusting 7308 Pressure Relief
Long 460 hydraulic problem

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won t start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor