Go Bottom Go Bottom

790 Hitch Lift Capacity

View my Photos
shackbar
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-13          68652

I am looking at picking up a 790 soon to do primarily field mowing. I like the heavy duty MX5 but it is very close to the rated hitch lift capacity of the 790. MX5 weighs 823 lbs and the rated capacity of the 790 is only 815 lbs. Is this workable?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

790 Hitch Lift Capacity

View my Photos
zodiac

2003-11-13          68655

why not try the lx5. its as well built as most companys heavy duty mowers. ....

790 Hitch Lift Capacity

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-13          68657

The JD compatibility chart indicates the MX5 is not approved for the 790. The LX4,LX5,and LX6 cutters will work though. ....

790 Hitch Lift Capacity

View my Photos
shackbar

2003-11-13          68660

Where is this compatability chart available? ....

790 Hitch Lift Capacity

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-13          68663

Links don't seem to work so you will have to go to the John Deere web site and navigate to the 790 page and click on attachments. The chart will come up.

790 Hitch Lift Capacity

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-13          68672

I have a 790 and an LX-5 and it works well. I think the 790 will LIFT the MX-5 because I have lifed my LX-5 with 240lbs of concrete bags on top when used as ballast for an extremely heavy FEL load.

It seems (to me at least)those ratings by JD are to be safe and are for the basic 790 so as not to be light in the front end from such a comparatively heavy cutter. The tractor will lift more than 815lbs. If you have a FEL you should be better balanced from to back than a guy without one. I think the tractor will turn the MX-5 blades fine unless your chopping trees.

Do you really need an MX-5? Are you going to be cutting stuff that an LX-5 can cut but just want the extra bef of the MX-5. In that last scenario I don't think the MX-5 will be much harder for the tractor to operate. Now if you get crazy the tractor may bog on real thick stuff.

I have slightly "enhanced" my hydraulic capabilities as a couple of other 790 owners have as well ;) I could tell you how but then you know I'd have ta' kill ya':) Seriously though if you end up with the 790, I can email the discussions on this subject.

Scott

790 Hitch Lift Capacity

View my Photos
hared1112

2003-11-14          68781

I have a 790 with MX5 cutter and have had no problems. The 790 lifts the cutter just fine, although I do make it a point not to travel too far with it up in the air just to be on the safe side. I might add that the JD dealer sold the MX5 to me, so I am assuming (I know, could be dangerous) that he knew what he was doing. It is considerably heavier duty than the LX5 and also has a slip clutch. ....

790 Hitch Lift Capacity

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-14          68789

Yeah, I'd get the slip clutch on whatever one you choose.

I have the SC on my LX-5 and if I didn't I am sure I would have gone through MANY sheer pins :) ....

790 Hitch Lift Capacity

View my Photos
loghouse95

2003-11-14          68793

I might be wrong, but when you start putting extra weight on a 3pt hitch to lift a heavy load with a fel you are asking for trouble, that is the quickest way I know to break a tractor in to ....

790 Hitch Lift Capacity

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-14          68798

The hitch lifts 800+ lbs, the MX-5 weights 800+ lbs I don't see the problem. I now JD doesn't list the MX-5 in the attachment table but it should be OK it's 8 lbs more than the tractor is rated to lift at 24" from the ball ends. If you go by the rated lift and PTO hp it doesn't sound like much of a mismatch.

I try not to abuse my tractor by driving full speed over bumps with my LX-5 or ANYTHING hanging off the hitch. I adjust the anti-sway chains on my 500lbs counterweight so it has little to zero play to minimize shock to the machine. With the same common sense approach I think I would be equally safe and not abusive to my tratcor with the MX-5

The tractor CAN be equipped with an FEL and #7 backhoe that weighs almost 800lbs and not break in half doing all that digging and prying so one would think a brush hog who's tail wheel is most times contacting the ground when being used shouldn't be a problem.

On this and the "other" board I've never seen one "790 broke in half post" The simply have pretty strong frames and limited lift capacity so I don't think they are likely to break themselves.

In the same or similar size and HP ratings other manufacturers spec 1500 or 2000lbs of lift, maybe they have a better chance of breaking in two :) I worry more about how they spec 3000lb tractors to lift 1500- 2000 lbs without flipping :) :) How's that work????

The 790 is in my humble opinion a tractor that is very strongly built in relationship to it's capabilities and also very conservatively rated by JD. I think the ratings are more guided by VERY safe operating parameters rather than getting and specing every last drop of power out of the thing.

I "adjusted" my tractor and it now probably lifts more like 1000lbs. No problems but you need to be aware, I think 1000lbs is about the safe operating lift for a sub 3000lb tractor unless you are ground that resembles a flat putting surface :) ....

790 Hitch Lift Capacity

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-15          68816

There are designed capacities but they may not be easy to stay within them if a heavy bucket is dropped too fast or a bump is hit at too fast a ground speed and big weight on the 3ph holds down the rear end. Of course tractors are designed to carry counter-weight ballast. The whole question is how much and what size load shocks are reasonable.

I wouldn't have a clue about how big a bump I could hit or how fast a bucket could be dropped and stay within design limitations for my tractor. Few owners would I guess. It is an issue and I know enough to go slow and to feather the controls when managing heavy loads. I think there are max ballast specs for a few tractors. A Ford 1210 was discussed here where the front diff fell off due to a broken frame member--probably from heavy loader work and maybe compounded by fast ground speeds--it does happen but no two models are the same. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login