Go Bottom Go Bottom

4000 Ten Series 50 hour break in service

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-01          56190

How many of you did the full transmission sump drain, filter replacements, and suction screen inspection and cleaning at 50 hrs.???? I am at 49.7 hours and don't have the suction screen gasket yet but have everything else. Did the engine oil and filter today and have done everything else except trans. oil and filters? My buddy who is a John Deere Rep. said it is really not that big of a deal and 99% of the time the oil he has seen come out of the trans. was clean as was the filters screens. He told me I really did not need to change the oil and filters at 50 hrs. Did any of you find any kind of debry in the suction screen or hydraulic 3 pt. hitch lift filter screen? I am inclined to do the service as per the manual if for no other reason than to stay within requirements of the warrantee and is cheap insurance. Any comments, thoughts, or suggestions. I didn't want to attempt the trans. oil and filter change until I had the suction screen gasket in hand.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-01          56195

Betcha a buck you find some metal shavings on the screen. I'm with you... do the full service.

I just re-used the same gasket on the sump screen. Didn't even think about getting a new one. ....

View my Photos
GK
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-01          56200

I just completed the full 50 hr service on my 4110. My dealer told me not to do the tranny (HST) until 200 hrs, but I felt better sticking to the manual. Glad I did, as there were plenty of metal shavings on the screen. I also reinstalled the original gasket/o-ring with no problem. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56234

I am only at 25 hours but I already have every thing in the garage for my 50 hour service. Routine scheduled maintenance has to be the cheapest insurance policy available. My dealer said it would not be necessary to do the trannny at 50 but if it was his he would do it. There is bound to be some metal shaveings in the filter/screen. As far as the oil the origional oil is break in oil. I Personally can not see why anyone would not change the oil and filter every 50 useing the best synthetic or recommended oil available. ....

View my Photos
Long610

2003-06-02          56249

I just had my dealer perform my 50 hr service on my 4710 hydro. I wanted to develop a service relationship and record so if a warrentee issue happens it cant be blamed on incorrect maintance. Cheap insurance for down the road.
The members of CTB helped me select my tractor, my name was Walt20. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-02          56274

How much did the dealer charge you for the 50 hour service? Did you or any of the rest of you use the low viscosity or standard Hy Gard? ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56278

I am useing Hy guard as recommended. The Jd oil is a synthetic blend but I am considering amsoil for the future. ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-06-02          56293

Doc,
How much do you use your tractor? I would be spending a LOT on mine at 20 gal per change + a couple of filters :( and 60 hours every 2 months or less....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56298

I'm not sure where the 60 gal comes in but if Your capacity is that large it would seem your service interval would be longer. No matter what the hours of individual use scheduled maintenance is the most cost effective warranty. Mine takes 13 quarts and the first Transmission service is at 50 hours and then every 200 hours after that. I do use the low Viscosity Hy-Guard. Just curious but how do you put so many hours on that acreage ? It seems with that capacity and hours that you would change your tranny fluid/filters every season assumeing your season is not year-round. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-06-02          56311

Chief,
I have a 4610 so the prices may be different.

9.9 gal of Low Viscosity hydraulic oil was $89.10.
1 filter was $34.09 and the other was $21.75. 1 hour labor at $40.00 = $184.94.

I questioned using the Low Viscosity fluid, since the OM says for my climate to use Hy Gard. He said he went to one of those JD training schools and JD recommends Low Viscosity in all eHydros.

slowrev,
After the initial 50 service, the hydraulic fluids are changed every 400 hours. The filters are changed every 200.

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-06-02          56313

Doc,
Not 60 gal, 20 GAL. My fluid is supposed to be changed once every year or every 1000 hours. Not a hydro.
Sorry if I misunderstood you post about changing the fluid every 50 hrs.

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56318

slowrev; I think I need glasses to ! I just have a little toot so less fluid but more changes. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-02          56338

Billy, I got 12 gals. of the regular Hy Gard. Mine holds 6.8 gals. I believe but I wanted some for the front axle and spare top off fluid. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56348

Chief, Dont you use gear lube in the front axle ?? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-02          56355

No, the front axle on the 4410 calls for Hy Gard according to the manual. ....

View my Photos
Long610

2003-06-03          56525

Chief The oils used are part number LVA10419 and LVA11522. Filters and screen are m806419,t111383 and ty6389. You tell me what oil. I think its the every day oil. The total cost with labor was just over $200 . Ihad them do it for reasons I posted before and the fact I have no time to do it. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-10          57281

Got another question related to this 50 hr. service before I get started. I have the 72" MMM installed. I looked and it is iffy as to whether the mower has to come off to get the filter out. Any of you done this inspection with the MMM installed? Sure would be nice if I did not have to remove it. But then again I was thinking that I don't want to risk getting oil all over the belts and pullies. Maybe I just answered my own question. <;o) ....

View my Photos
17ACRES

2003-06-11          57317

I just completed my 50 hour hydraulics/transmission oil change on my 4510. I sure wouldn't attempt it with a MMM installed. I had enough trouble containing the 9.2 gallons of oil. You will need to catch the oil under the drain plug and under both filters as you remove them. I used a 10 gal "wash tub" and still spilled some oil on the floor moving it under the filters. I will be in the market for a bigger container next time.

I found hundreds, if not thousands of very small particles on the pickup screen. Keep in mind that this is a good sized pickup screen and I doubt that there was enough to plug up 1/2 of one percent of the screen. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-06-11          57328

Yep, changing TX oil is a pain. I don't have enough ground clearance to get a standard 5-gallon pail underneath my Ford. Good thing I didn't decided to dig a pit under the tractor because then I couldn't have gotten the full buckets out.

I used the largest box-store automotive oil drain pan I could find and came up with a small trick. When the drain started getting full, I screwed the TX dip stick back in which slowed the flow enough so I could screw the drain plug back in without making much of a mess and then transfer oil in the drain to an empty oil bucket. However, it won't work unless there's an empty oil bucket to start with. Places like Northern Tool probably have 10-gallon drains that are flat enough to go under a tractor but other than that you've got to plan on changing the drain pan at least once and you have to have a container for the used oil.

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-12          57445

I think the JD 0w-40 is synthetic, and the 15w -40 is regular blend, shouln't you wait for at least 100 hrs, before using synthetic? that sounds crazy to change just one , i think if you are going to go through the hassel of doing it change filter and fluid togather. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-12          57447

plots1, I have a 55 gal. drum of John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50 in the basement and that is what she gets engine wise along with the John Deere filter. Don't know where the 0W-40 synthetic came from? ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-13          57460

I cant imagine changeing the oil with out the filter. I know the JD 15-40 is a synthetic blend. I guess I figured that the oil she came with was some type of break in oil but why would it make any difference if you started running full synthetic at 50 Vs 100 hours ? ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-06-13          57464

If the rings are not yet fully seated and you put full synthetic oil in there, the rings might have trouble finishing their seating process.

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-13          57470

look at this it only states that the 0w-40 is synthetic. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-13          57471

I want to run synthetic also but hear you should wait for ring seat as Slowrev stated.If you read from the site I posted it shows you can extend your change intervils by many hours by running synthetic. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-13          57472

Who said anything about changing the engine oil without changing the filter?????? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-13          57473

I'm really not worried about extended oil change intervals as I plan to change engine oil and filter every 50 hours. VERY cheap insurance. The 0W-40 synthetic has a value if you use the tractor in extreme cold environments or run the tractor for extreme periods of time between changes. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-13          57477

go back and read through post I though I seen someone post about changing just filter. ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-06-13          57478

A bit off this topic, but since plots1 brought it up. Some of the older IH tractors say to change the oil every 100 hours and the filter every 200 hours ? I change the filter each time though.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-13          57479

plots1, I was referring to the transmission but I am doing the entire shooting match by the book. Was just "geeee what iffin'" and checking to see what other owners were doing. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-13          57480

I have to believe the rings are seated by the time you have 50 hours on the engine. But for conversations sake I fail to see the difference as to why the rings would seat any differently with synthetics Vs conventional oil. It seems to me the rings will seat better as will all new parts with less friction and heat. If this were not the case we would not see any engine manufacturer sending out units with synthetic oils or synthetic blends. Simply put Synthetic oils or any product that really extend the life of a unit are the manufactures worst night mare as they are in buisiness to sell new units and parts. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-13          57485

From what I understand, the break-in/ring seating process takes about 50 hours. In cases where the rings have not seated in this time period. They drain the oil and replace with break-in oil and go another 50 hours. If still not seated, there is a problem and the engine is disassembled for inspection. Although a shaker full of Bonami Cleaner powder shaken down the intake manifold with the engine wide open will solve ANY ring seating problems. <;o) ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-06-13          57488

Heat and friction are required for ring seating.

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-13          57494

Correct Slowrev and they say friction levels are cut in half with synthetics, so wouldn't that extend breakin hrs if used, they run 15w-40 at the factory and it appears it's not a synthetic but the 0w-40 is.As I stated I want to run synthetic but heard to wait untill a least 100 hrs,I read that on a post here somewere. Chief have you heard of a synthetic lube for the trans? I just replaced mine with the Low vis hi gaurd, but would like to put in synthetic if there is one. maybe the hi guard is ???? don't know. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-13          57496

I'm not sure where youre getting the info. My dealer has told me the factory uses a special weight break in oil not the 15-40 which is recommended after break inn. As far as synthetics takeing longer to break in I think perhaps some one is pulling your leg. Friction is always presant with or with out synthetic. What would be the net difference if your engine took 100 hours vs 50 for break in. Many companys such as Porsche and Mercedes now use mobil 1 right at the factory. Clearly synthetic is a better product when ever you start useing it. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-13          57498

Only synthetic hydro oil that comes to mind is Amsoil, but I am not sure how that would square with your warranty if anything went wrong. You can go wrong following the manual and the manufacture's specs. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-13          57499

I had just spoke to my dealer about this a week or so ago. He is also a Amsoil dealer. He said that the Amsoil would not void the warranty as it exceeds their reccomendations but he reccomended just sticking to the scheduled maintenace due to the cost and for most people on a tractor this size the amount of use. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-13          57500

I was told that by the dealer.And I to think synthetic is better. wonder why they don't recommend to run there 0w-40 insted of the 15w-40? may be they want to sell more tractors sooner. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-13          57501

They probably want to keep their costs down and their profits up. If they use that synthetic they will have to charge a lot more .... and if they put it in standing on one leg, even more. lol. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-13          57524

Doc, you better check your ankles for bruise marks. I had several Amsoil Dealers AND Amsoil Corporate Reps. tell me that it was recommended to put 3000 Series 5W-30 Sythetic Diesel engine oil in my NV5600 6 speed transmission on my truck. I turned right around and got in writing from New Venture Transmissions and Dodge that they would absolutely void the warranty on the transmission if I did. Amsoil has some very good products but the sales and marketing people will tell you what you want to hear. Oh yeah, the Amsoil people told me that the Magnuson Moss Warranty Protection Act covered me if Dodge or New Venture tried to void my warranty. I can tell you right now who would win that pissin' contest. Whomever has the most money and the slickest lawyer. That would NOT be me. Long story short....... use and follow the manufacturer's recomendations and products if specified. I use Amsoil products where and when appropriate and whenever possible but not unless "Uncle Johnny" approves in my 4410. ;o) ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-13          57533

Hey Chief, before you worry about my bruises you better worry about your own ankles wrapped around your ears with your hinny hanging out. I really dont think you are trying to say Dodge tells JD what to do with their warrantys are you ? I think you would be a little foolish to put HDD oil in your tranny or ANY non-tranny fluid appropriate for the vehicle. I mean really, If you piss in your gas tank you might get better fuel economy...And if you believe that I have a bridge to sell ya. I trust my JD dealer and maybe you should re-read the post, it clearly says he recommended useing JD tranny fluid. However he is ALSO a Amsoil dealer and they do make an APPROPRIATE Tractor tranny-hydro fluid. It is more expensive and everyone should ask THEIR own dealer THEMSELVES to assure if their is a problem that their dealer will honor the factory warranty. They also make Synthetic gear oil. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-13          57537

Doc, I did re-read your post and I stand by what I wrote. Your Amsoil dealer is not going to be there to cover costs if there fluid recommendation voids a warranty or is in question as I said in my post. I stated the Dodge issue as an expamle of what Amsoil will tell you vs. what the factory warranty and manufacturer's position really is. I have no Earthly idea where you got what Dodge tells John Deere?????? Or pissin' in gas tanks?????? As with most Amsoil advocates and dealers, the idea is to create an adversarial environment to fog the issue instead of sticking with fact and the manufacturer's requirements. Some of Amsoil's products are not SAE certified but Amsoil still skirts the issue and pushes their product for a particular use that requires that certification. As I said before, they make some great products but make some really questionable recommendations sometimes. Need to lighten up a little Doc, and get more fiber. I was just kiddin with ya about the ankles thing cause these Amsoil dealers are pulling alot of peoples legs. ;o) ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-13          57541

Chief; I think maybee youre talkin through where that fiber needs to exit. lol. I understood exactly what you were saying. You are slandering a product with an absolutely absurd analogy. I do not believe for a moment that any oil company recommended, several times that you put Heavy Duty Diesel oil in your manual transmission. So we are clear I have never used their products and now that some one else has pointed out another synthetic I doubt I will. The problem with too much grab ass is that its just that... TOO Much. AMSOIL just like Mobil 1 or shell Rotella etc. Does not void a manufactures warranty. Theese products exceed their reccomendations. In short I think there are those who just like to say something about everything for no purpose other than to stir the pot. I am going to eat my Raisen bran now. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-13          57542

EASY FELLAS ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-13          57547

Doc, you missed your call as a comedian! ;o) Prove it to yourself. Call your Amsoil dealer friend and ask him what Amsoil recommends for lubricant in the NV5600 transmission for the Dodge truck. Mind you now, don't tell him a thing about our conversation please. I'm betting he tells 3000 Series HDD 5W-30. Then call up the tech rep at New Venture transmissions and ask him the same things. He will tell you Texaco 1874 MTX or Mopar Part # 4761526. Then ask him if the Amsoil is also approved. He will tell you no and it would void the warranty if any lubrication issues arise with the transmission. Dodge is ditto. I know for myself because I have alread done this and got the results. Then call back the Amsoil dealer and tell him what the New Venture tech rep said. Then hang on to your shorts. I am trying to dig up this info. and I'll show it to you when I can figure out what I did with it. Not bad mouthing Amsoil as I use their products in my gearboxes, axles, and transfer case. Excellent products that worked beter than any other oils I have tried to date. I call a spade a spade and the dealer as well as Amsoil told me what they told me about motor oil in the transmision. Plain and simple. I asked them to put it in writing and they would not. That just ain't right. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-13          57549

Hupp! Doh! The pissin' contest flag has been thrown. I gonna put myself in time out! ;o) Just want to keep things nice and neighborly. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-13          57554

It certainly seems that the crux of what you are saying is if they dont have the right product they will sell you what ever and tell you it works. why Put Diesel oil in an tranny when they make synthetic gear oil ? How does this relate at all to The question of can I use synthetic tranny oil in my JD ? Simply put, it Doesn't. Like you said they wont put it in writeing so it is little more than slam dunk lip service. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-14          57600

Spelled out in simple English........ just because the Amsoil dealer says it is OK to put in your John Deere does not guarantee it is an approved fluid by John Deere or compatible with the John Deere warrantee. You can put panther piss in your transmission for all I care. I was just trying to give you a heads up about potentially putting an oil in your tractor that may not be approved or suitable. End of discussion. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-14          57609

Maybe I never was too bright, but let me tiptoe into the crossfire here.

I was an Amsoil dealer about twenty years ago. I got fabulous performance from their motor oils and to this day believe they make a quality crankcase oil.

But I ruined two manual transmissions using their synthetic gear lubes. In both cases I lost the syncros. On the '74 Datsun I got the stuff out and replaced with regular lubes in time to limit the damage. On the '79 Ford truck I was not so lucky. The transmission became unusable and had to be rebuilt.

Never had a lick of problems with the same fluid in a rear axle.

The real problems surfaced when I ran afoul of the Amsoil "culture". I started a side business distributing Amsoil fluids into retail outlets.

When some HMFIC at Amsoil central control got wind of the plan I was called on the carpet.

I explained how much product I thought I could move on a yearly basis, thinking that they were interested in actually selling the stuff. Duh! Guess again.

They explained it to me as if I was simple minded: my job was to sell dealerships not products and if I could not get on board with their pyramid marketing scheme, maybe I didn't deserve the high honor and rank of an Amsoil Distributor.

They told me that if I dared to stock the shelves of the local home store with their products it would be the last thing I ever did as an Amsoil Distributor.

I got a big box and mailed all of their crap back to them.

Bottom line: When it comes to lubricants, I think I feel more comfortable at this point with names like Shell, Mobil, Pennsoil, Chevron or even Deere and Kubota than I do with Amsoil.

I am in the market for good oil. If I want religion, I can get that in church.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-14          57612

I used Amsoil for a long time in automotive engines and had great results. In the mid eighties I bought a new car. After the break-in period I wanted to put Amsoil in it and was told by the dealer that it would void the warranty because the oil was not SAE rated. Is that still true?

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-14          57654

I think I'm just going to stick with the JD oil and forget about it, after all that is there recommened oil, an surely it's good stuff. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-14          57656

Ditto. The Jd is a lot cheaper and a easier to get. I cant really ever remember hearing anything negative about another oil so I am going to pass on them entirely. Thanx to to tip from Mark I may try the Rotella T for the engine. I started to wonder about the Break in oil today plots and I wonder if they use different oils from the factory as we have different machines. What is the capacity on your engine ? Mine is only 2.1 qts. Looking back it is plain to see I have a serious case of IDNS ! And selective CRS. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-15          57690

Mark, as you probably alrady know loosing synchros on trannys back then was not exactly a uncommon problem. was it determined that theese failures were directly attributed to Amsoil ? How many miles on the trannys ? Did You void your warrantys if their were any and mostly I would like to know if when you worked for them you reccomended useing HDD diesel oil in the tranny ? I have a fair amount of respect for the input you share here as it always seems pretty straight forward and reliable. You'll forgive me for saying so I hope but it seems you have a pretty Sizeable bone to pick with Amsoil. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-15          57699

Doc, actually it was three transmissions. I forget about giving some to my boss and it wrecked the syncros in his Peugeot. I'm guessing the Datsun had 40k on the clock, the Ford around 20k and I can't remember what was going on with the Peugeot.

Anyway it was a long time ago and back then warranties were 12 months /12,000 miles and there was no recourse with Amsoil. They simply dismissed it saying it was not their problem, it was the Alaska climate, the dog ate their lunch, cheap, poorly engineered japanese(american, french) transmissions......

Two items of note on the subject: I had several other manual transmissions in the ensuing years in the same climate and never had another transmission problem but I stuck with standard lubricants.

And: Recent reading on the Red Line Oil web site revealed that they discovered they had to add friction modifiers to their synthetic gear lubes because it was too slippery for the syncro's.

Bottom line: I may be a slow learner but 3 out of 3 transmissions was enough for me.

In terms of cross over recommendations (engine oil in the tranny, etc.) amsoil has always done that but in fairness so have others. If you read through the Chevron web site they say you can put Delo Syn in your tranny, but they think you should only do that if you are above the Arctic circle.

As far as picking bones.... I figure there is a lot of s--- ya gotta let go of, if you don't it'll bog you down and kill you.
There are so many choices available these days in synthetic lubricants that Amsoil is rendered insignificant.
I think they only remain in business because of a cult-like following and the promise of riches built into their marketing scheme.

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-15          57701

Mark, I sure am glad this all came out before I ever used their products. It just goes to prove that even a pissing contest can result in getting out good info to help others. There certainly is a lot to wade through. The one thing that I was leary of with Amsoil is the claim that you can go double the manufactures recommended oil change mileage with their products but only if you use their filters. Looking at their filters they dont seem any different from anyone elses on the single filter system. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-16          57752

Chief, I wrote Amsoil and asked them their reccomendation based on the info you gave. The response I got was that your transmission uses a straight 30 weight oil from the factory. They reccomended 5w-30 Synthetic motor oil. I have to say YOU WERE RIGHT ! gulp. I personally think that is piss poor advice and before I ever used the wrong product in any of my vehicles simply based on any given brand I probably would use Panther Piss as it would likely void the warranty just as quickly. I did tell them just for giggles that useing this would void the warranty asked if they offer a written warranty. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-16          57756

Doc, I was surprised and VERY disappointed when Amsoil told me that. Ever since then, if I do use their product, I make sure it is SAE certified or in writing compatible with the item I am using it with warranty wise. I think the Chevron info. Mark got us should meet our needs for tractor use. It caught my attention when I found out that commercial truck companies around here were buying the John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50 oil buy the 220 gallon pallet load for their over the road trucks. I bought me a 55 gallon drum since that made the price $1.29 per qt. I have a suspicion that Chevron may make the oils for most if not nearly all of the tractor manufacturers in the States. That panther piss is mighty expensive and dangerous to obtain. ;o) I saw you post that you put 5,000 miles a month on your Duramax? Wow! That is a bunch of driving. Do you "hot shot" trailer loads on the side or something? That is an oil change a month. You may want to look into a 55 gallon drum of something or other. The price goes waaaaay down when you get the 55 gallon drum or more. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-16          57763

Ok I just got the MF act notice from AMSOIL. LOL. Hay every now and then ya gatta eat your hat or drink a bottle of Panther Pee. I cant say I would ever have any faith in a company that would conduct buisiness in this matter. It seems more of a "They cant say you cant Use our products " defense when that is really a moot point in relation to useing the WRONG product for any given application. The info mark gave is a LOT more sound on the Chevron. I personally will stick with the JD just because its cheaper and I personally wont put that many hours on. I am beating a path to my hunting property about 6 times a month this time of year to get the work done before the bugs and heat are too much. The cost on the oil changes for the Duramax dont bother me that much but it gets to be a PITA changeing it every month. I also want to thank Mark for pointing out that Shell Rotella T is a synthetic Diesel at a pretty fair price. I intend to try this out and hopefully switch from the standard AC filters to a higher grade like Hastings. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-16          57766

Doc, I saw that Genos Garage had the AC oil filters for $12.50 each. If you are interested in the Hastings filters (good filters) I posted a link where you can buy them. ....

Link:   Link to Hastings Filters & Other Goodies

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-16          57769

Chief; Firstly the saga continues. I received another message from amBSoil basicly saying they would sue Chrysler and slam dunking them, blah, blah, blah. They then tried to say I should get it in writeing from Chrysler. Now I thought that was pretty darn funny and told them so as I had asked them for THEIR warranty and got nothing but gum flap. Thanx for The link and Ginos Garage was great. For what ever reason The Murrays auto parts stores have the AC filters for about $3.50. I want to get away from the standard paper filters though. MANY THANX ! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-16          57772

More than welcome Doc. $3.50 is an outrageously good price! I would stock up at that price. Unless like you say you are looking to get a better filter. I tried to cross reference you a Fleetguard Statapore oil filter but had no luck. I emailed Fleetguard and maybe they will get back to me with an answer. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-16          57776

I was paying $15 plus per filter from the dealer untill I went to Murrays. I bought a Dozen a year ago and their price is still the same. I just want to start to use a better filter in the off months when I am not putting on the miles so hard but when I have to change every month it sure is a great price. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-06-16          57777

Doc, what makes you think the AC filter isn't as good as anything else out there? Just curious. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-16          57782

Chief; OK Now what I really want to know is how you got the clowns at amsoil to go away ? More e-mails telling me what garbadge everyone eles's product is and that they have succesfully sued oem'S for denying claims for their customers. I guess that means they have had more than a few product failures, Of course there are disclaimers attached to all of their emails. Billy, If you click the link that Chief left above and take a peek at the Hastings filters you will see all of the extra features that many premium filters use. The Duramax is still new enough that filter choice is pretty limited. The AC filter is a single element paper type. Theese are fine if you change frequently but for longer runs in time or mileage I just prefer a better filter.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-16          57785

Doc, are these AC PF 2232 oil filters they are selling you for $3.50? If so, I would buy enough to last the life of the truck at that price. AC makes a good oil filter and you will never run into a warranty problem. Below is a link to the TSB covering what types of oil filters are authorized on my Cummins. You may want to make sure that whatever filters you decide to use besides AC are authorized under warranty. For example I was at Wally World not long ago getting an oil change on my wifes car and saw the mechanics install a Fram oil filter on this guys Cummins. He had no idea that the Fram oil filter could void his engine warranty. Didn't believe me at first. I gave him this website info. I am sure he is a believer now. Not bad mouthing Fram, this is just the position Daimler/Chrysler took with respect to authorized oil filters. ....

Link:   Link to Oil Filter TSB

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-16          57787

Chief; ya as far as I know the PF2232 is the only AC filter for the Duramax. What I dont like about the single element paper filters is that they do not seem to retain fine media. I drive in a lot of dust and dirt. If that fellow was getting a Fram filter at Wally World he was probably getting a pretty good filter compared to the filters a lot of the quick change places use. I would never let anyone else near my truck for just that reason not to mention they charge around $60 for a diesel change. The chrysler warranty is pretty darn tight as all OEM's probably are. In the case of the Fram and Wix filters they mention, theese seem like pretty clear product failures. Either way even with an approved filter if you have an engine problem related to the filter the OEM is not going to pay for it and it is probably a pretty fair bet that with any of theese companys it would take more in legal fees than the cost of the repair. But in short you are right, the AC filter is a good filter but I like the Hastings even better. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-16          57790

Doc, To some people it is a cult. You stomped on someone's religion.

I think you are drawing the correct inference.... if they brag about all the time they spend in court, well what are they doing there in the first place?

They brag that you can go 100,000 miles between oil changes. Well why on God's earth would anyone WANT to do that? Duh?

And pour engine oil in your transmission? When transmission oil is cheaper and easier to get? Huh?

Thirty years ago I had a bunch of Hemodialysis machines that required the use of "Zurnoil", a very expensive hydraulic fluid. I think it was about $7.00 a quart, which was a lot of money back then.

Well, someone ripped off a small stockpile of the stuff and it only took about a week to figure out who it was.

It was the guy who missed work with a seized engine. The rocket scientist involved figured anything that expensive had to turn his jalopy into a real racing machine. It did say "oil" on the label, didn't it?

And another thought: Since when (especially lately) does winning in court guarantee the winner was "right" in the first place? ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-16          57791

Hay they stomped on my religon first, I hate being wrong, and then I had Panther piss in my cornflakes which probably really upset the natives ! I dont get it maybe I am dumb but I sure as S$%^ am not going to put HDD in my tranny. They can experiment on their own trucks. You sure are right, winning dont mean squat, try getting paid ! ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-19          58016

I ran by Murrays today and they had the AC Delco 2232 filters at $3.59 Plus 10 % off ! So I am in AC filters again for another 50,000 miles. They also had Shell Rotella T 15w-40 in a 5 gallon pail for $35.00 which seems like a darn good price. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-06-19          58019

Doc, on the Rotella. That's right at what Wal Mart sells it for. I'd rather buy it from anyone than Wal Mart, price being the factor. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-19          58020

Their not exactly at the top of my list either. I sure would like to find the Shell Rotella T synthetic 5w-40 in a 5 gallon pail. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login