Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
TXIEC57
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-24          55492

I'm trying to decide which one. Both have FEL, 4wd. I have both priced within $300. I have 15 acres. I will mainly mow the pastures, move dirt piles, spread gravel and stump pulling. Please give me insight as to durability, maintenance, and general comments. I'm leaning more for the JD 790. That is why I posted in this forum. Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-05-24          55499

I LOOKED AT BOTH MY SELF,THE DEERE IS ALITTLE LIGHTER EASIER TO TRAILER AND TO MOW WITH /I LIKED THE FELL LOCKOUT ON THE 790/419 FEL QUICK BUCKET,FORKS,BLADE,FRONT MOUNTED SNOW BLOWER(MID PTO).
WHAT SOLD ME WAS THE LOCAL KUBOTA 7 MILES AWAY HAD (THERE IT IS )ATTITUDE, LOCAL MASSEY 2 MILES WOULD NOT EVEN BUDGE ON A (1250) I REALLY LIKE THIS SET UP TOO/ 2 JD DEALERS WITHIN 15 MILES WERE ON MARS, ONE JD DEALER 56 MILES AWAY KNOWS MY UNDERWARE SIZE !!!!!! AND STILL CALLS ME EVERY 3 MONTHS TO SAY HI.!!!!! AND HAS PROVEN TO STAND BEHIND HIS SALE !!!! ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-05-24          55500

SORRY, 100HRS ON MINE /50 IS HOE WORK
2 OIL CHANGES-NO CONSUMPTION
2 SWING CYLINDERS ON HOE LEAKED-WARRENTY/REPLACED BOTH SATIFIED
50 HRS HYDRAULIC FILTER /OIL CHANGED-BREAK-IN PARTICLES REMOVED
GOT THE CONVERSION FROM 7 HOE TO 3PT HICH DOWN TO 10 MINUTES, WILL GET THE ROPS EXTENSION KIT
MIGHT HAVE THE PARKING BRAKE LOOKED AT/I LIKE THE IDIOT LIGHT
NO LEAKS,WILL MOUNT A YELLOW LIGHT ON TOP OF THE ROPS YOU CAN BARLY SEE THE FLASHERS WITH THE STABILLIZERS OF THE HOE IN THE WAY,ALMOST GOT CREAMED THIS WINTER MOVING SNOW.
MY 5 YR OLD SON SAYS IT NEEDS A HORN !!!
I SAY I BOUGHT THE RIGHT ONE AND WENT TO THE RIGHT DEALER !! ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-25          55520

I don't know much about the L3000dt model, But I can say that the 790 is one heck of a torky unit for the buck. It has done all I ask of it so far on my little 40 acere piece,repaired pond, drag timber,cut brush,cut trails through timber,move dirt, grade road,pull stumps, worked up 3 acers for deer plots, and so on. As I stated I don't know how the L3000dt compares but i think you would be more than happy with the 790 to work your 15 into shape. I've only got about 38 hrs on the clock so far but it has giving me no problems yet.TOUGH UNIT FOR THE BUCK!!!! best of luck in choosin yours. forgot to mention the down fall's I've come across so far not to roomy , and the machine runs out of traction far before power is used up.added weight really helps get the most out of it, beings it's a 2100lb. 30 hp unit.(lot of power for it's weight). ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-25          55523

Stop capitulateing and just get the one you like best, after all it is YOUR tractor. I like the 790, but hay, that's just me. Buy one already and feed those deer ! ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-05-25          55550

Make sure you try both and see which is more comfortable.
No offense to 790 owners but I found the 790 uncomfortable.
The operator area seemed to cramped,seat to high ,felt like I was riding on the steering wheel.
I felt the Kubota 3000 was more roomy and more compfortable,with higher lift capacitys(my opinion) ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-05-25          55551

Also check out the Kioti 3054.Around the same price as the 790 and 3000 but has foward/reverser and syncronized tranny.The 790/3000 do not. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-26          55575

Gotta agree with wolbert at least as far as makeing sure you take the time to test drive. For some reason this is a step a LOT of folks seem to skip. If the dealer wont let you drive it just go down the road. The hardest part is finding a good dealer not a good tractor. All of the above are great models especially for the $. I have seenthe Kioti but not driven as they were heavier than I wanted to tow. I find the step through opetrator area on the JD suoperior to the Kubota butt I have a big gut. lol. The Kioti is a WHOLE lotta machine for the buck. A lot of peolpe say that the bota is a lot cheaper than JD. I never found that to be true but the Kioti is truelly a great buy. I'd love to put one to the test. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
TXIEC

2003-05-26          55585

Thanks for all the replies. I will continue to make my decision and of course I will test drive all of them before I decide. The JD dealer had a sand pile to test the FEL and I thought that was great. I will also look at the Kiote if I can find a dealer.
Tim ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-05-29          55851

I would look at every tractor in the range of what you want and can afford that I could. For the big three, I would also check out New Holland TC30, especially if you might want a hydro. Others to check out would be the Branson/Century and Mahindra for Korean tractors. At least when you do make your decision, you won't have any second thoughts or regrets.
Pacesetter ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-05-31          56122

I think the Korean tractors are going to be a service problem,,NOT enough dealers and they havent been around long enough,,I know Kioti is having some transmission problems,,and Centry so SO new,,Mihindra has NO re-sale value,,I thinkl the TC 30 Is a bargin ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-06-01          56133

stevenc,
I don't know where your information on Korean tractors comes from but it is WRONG !!! Kioti has been making tractors for 50 years,been in the US for nearly a dozen.
I read several differant tractor forums and have never seen any transmission problems on Kioti.
How do you know Mahindra has no resale ?(i have not seen that !)
Century/Branson are made by the same company (Kukje)and have been making tractors for many years !
If your giving out information Please try to make it semi-accurate.

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-06-01          56147

call any dealer and ask about Mahindra,,when they quit laguhing, that you were foolish enought to buy one,they will tell you there is NO value there ,,and Kioti has had transmission problems,,a LOT of them,,and I was misstaken about how long they have been in the US,, ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-01          56148

Weight on a tractor makes a ton of difference in how it performs. After looking at the specs and prices of the KIOTI I think they are worth a good looking into. Things I've seen on the net about them make them seem tough.BUT I'm still happy with my green machine,It's a great tractor. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-01          56151

Both are great tractors for the buck. I am thinking that eventually you may consider later on down the road upgrading to a Hydro transmission or larger model, maybe not. I feel that you best resale/trade-in values rests with the 790. The Kubota is good, but the John Deere is a little better. Any of the other makes of tractors just will not carry a very good resale value and be difficult to sell or trade. I have watched at the John Deere dealer over and over, the used John Deere tractors move fast and the other brands sell very slow if at all and end up going to auction. I can also speak to the issue of quality, durability, and support from my experience procuring tractors for the 101st Airbone. I had to do an extensive comparative tractor analysis and John Deere was the leader hands down. Kubota was second. New Holland threatened to sue if we did not buy their tractor as well as refuse to compete or assist in the comparison. I am not going to get into brand bashing but I can tell you from experience that the John Deere is the best built and supported tractor out there; but not necessarily the cheapest. Brings to mind an old Scotish saying, "when you buy quality, you only cry once". Good luck on your choice and tractor purchase! ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-06-01          56160

Well stevenc,
I still don't think you know what your talking about. But Hey whatever !!
I just got back from 5 1/2 hours of mowing my field grass that was over the hood on my Korean Kioti DK 35 with a 6' brush mower.And it performed FLAWLESSLY as always,Thank you !!
I'm still looking and I have yet to find a single transmission failure on Kioti.
But I did manage to find several on the NH tc35 and 40 hydro models.( Snap ring failures in the transmission PTO brakes). So maybe you should look closer at your own before Slamming others !!

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-01          56163

I know fairly little about some of the other Korean brands but ALL I have seen have been nice machines especially for the buck. It is only my view but personally I thought the blue was the poorest value to dollar cost. I an not saying they are not nice machines but some dealers on the blues here charge MORE than the green. While some of the lesser known brands may sell for less and trade slower they also cost less to begin with. I have looked at the Kioti and I would love to have a weekend to play on a CK20. They look top notch to me. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-06-04          56637

I'm still waiting for my buddy stevenc to show where owners are claiming transmission problems on Kioti.(Not hearsay Steve, show me proof)
Since I already know he will fail to come up with enough to support his claim I took it upon myself to E-mail him a site that shows multiple transmission failures of his own all superior tractor model.

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-06-04          56651

Your welcome Doc. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-06-04          56652

Come on Steve old buddy.
Everyone here is still waiting to see where the owners of Kioti tractors are claiming to have all these transmission problems your keep babbling about !!
Show us the proof Steve. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
kdealer

2003-06-05          56663

Hey Wolbert, we have been dealing Kioti's since 1996 and I have yet to have one come back with tranny problems. That is well over 200 tractors to compare. I don't know where this info is coming from, but it is very unfair to people who are considering buying a compact tractor. The Green, Orange and Blue are all really good tractors as far as we are concerned. What it comes down to is personal preference and budget. By the way, your hoe should be in next week. I just put an 85 on my DK45 and all I can say is "Wow". With the direct hydraulic hook-up I can run that thing at less than 1400RPM and I have all the power and speed in the backhoe that I could ever ask for. I operated for 2 hours yesterday and the hyd. lines were barely even warm. If anyone is considering a Kioti, come see us. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-06-05          56664

Seems my buddy Steve completly fabricated the problem.
I have been reading most of the Kioti sites out there for 2 years now and have yet to see transmission problems.
Did you make this all up Steve ???
Is any of your mud sligging at the other brands true ??
Thanks guys at Group Farm Equipment(gave me a great price on a Rhino 85 backhoe) I will have a backhoe on my DK 35 in a week or 2.

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-06-05          56666

FIRST.Wolbert,,Im NOT your BUD,,and will NEVER be,,the comment was rude!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sold Kioti in Mt Airy ,NC,,and we had a LOT of problems with the transmissions,,so DONT tell me im misstaken,,the tractors were wholesaled from Wilson ,NC,,and as I understand the problems are even worse than I said,,There is NO reason to be so rude in a open disscusion,,it was uncalled for comment,, ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-06-05          56667

and If you ever need me,,im easy to find,,Im "srauchfuss on AOL NEVER say I cant be found!!!!!!!!! your RUDE wobert!!!!!!!! ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
TXIEC

2003-06-05          56676

Ok, This thread lost it's purpose. It does not matter. I have decided with the JD 790 for a lot of reasons over the Kubota L3000 for the following reasons:
Engine access
FEL bucket removal, FEL controls on tractor, What is left on the tractor after FEL removal is minimal.
Dealer support
Quietness
Responsiveness
(Note: I did look and test the Kiote brand and did not like. It felt inferior.)
Thanks

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-05          56677

There all good tractors, (none perfect)I think you will be happy with your pick. best of luck with your green machine.As I stated in early post try to add some weight to the 790 it will help it perform better for you. speaking of weight, thats what I liked about the DK35 it weights in at about 3600 lbs. (weight makes a difference in performance) I've added about 250 to rear wheels with some homebrew wheel weights to my 790 and it really seeem's to help the power to weight ratio. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-05          56684

If I did not have to tow mine I certainly would have considered the 790. It seems a great tractor and I am sure you will be very pleased. One of the things I have said many times and others that buy JD seem to agree is that the operators area is more comfortable. The controls are well placed. I was really skeptical about what what a FEL could do on a small machine like mine. It was probably the best $ I ever spent. I looked at the Kioti and I actually thought it was too heavy. The new Ck20 looks pretty darn sweet though. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-05          56689

Hay Doc , do you tow yours every time you visit the land? ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-05          56692

Ya I sure do and will for about the next five years. That was the primary reason I choose the 2210. It really has been no trouble at all than to a top quality trailer with a rubber torsion axle (although I would still get double axle next time). My trailer is only two months old and I probably have 5k miles on it. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-05          56695

I have a couple of bones to pick here.

First off as I read through the posts, it is clear that the original posters thread and intent somehow got highjcked and turned into pissing contest. (Not the intent or purpose of the web site)

Secondly I see in this thread and on others posted on different subjects, dealers/businesses are posting replys. (This is MORE that welcome in my opinion) HOWEVER, I feel Dennis puts in ALOT of work and effort to keep the web site going and if dealers want to advertise, I feel it is only right for them to pay Dennis the modest fee he charges for the advertising. Posting a link to provide another member information they were looking for is one thing, posting a link to your own business is another. (this is my opinion as I am not the administrator, Dennis is) Again I heartily welcome input from all dealers, let's just do the right thing as far as advertising.

TXIEC, congratulations on your new tractor! I'm sure you will be very happy with it. Did you make em' give you a hat and coffee mug??? ;o) ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-05          56699

chief; Most strands this long do digress somewhat. That certainly is nothing new to any web site or strand. Especially as you have paying members that have spoke on another strand or numerous strands they may tend to run together. Maybe you were just speaking in general and I'm confused (again) but I didn't see any dealer links on this strand. I guess the same rules apply for them as every one else. I have to dissagree with you some what, not saying that I am right and you Are wrong, I just dont welcome some of their input as much as a fair amount of it seems intentionally miss-leading or unjustly biased. That is NOT meant as a poke in ANY way to the dealers who are members who contribute regularly and promote their product at the same time. PS. It doesn't look like it was much of a contest, more like a slow dribble.lol ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-05          56705

Doc, by input, I am meaning legitimate objective input within reason. We all have our preferences as far as color and manufacuters of impliments. Just did not want to see the dribble develop into a flood. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-05          56706

Chief, I agree completely. The one thing I do not like to see is the new fellow not get the info he needs. I think for many they expect to start shopping and find a clear stand out. Not always the case as their are a lot of tough decisions. I gues the one thing I would like to see Dennis do is change the registration somehow so one person could not have numerous handles. Not that that has happened on this strand but It seems like you need to pay to post to avoid this. Dealers should pay more if they are going to link or tout their product. There certainly are some great dealers here and I would have been swayed by brand if they were closer to me. I have to admit to being very puzzled as to why any one thinks they are entitled to a service for free. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-05          56708

Don't mind me, I am retiring this Friday from the Army and am currently on terminal leave. Guess I am decompressing & getting used to having a little time on my hands. I have about got it out of my system. After 21 years, it is tough to shift gears to another life. I am in the process of getting one. <;o) ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56813

TXIEC, so when is the big day the 790 comes home to roost? Did they at least give you a hat and coffee mug yet? ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56861

Once he gets it home we wont hear from him again for a while. To busy playing with the new toy ! ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56867

I have a feeling we should hear lots of feedback from a VERY satisfied customer. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56870

Gotta give the guy a few hours to play before he knows if hes satisfied or not. But I dont see how he could not be. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56872

Have yet to see a customer who purchased this model that was not very satisfied. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56873

I am sure this one wont be any exception. That is IF he gat a free hat. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56875

I got several free hats, calenders, key chains, pens, and coffee mugs. ;o) ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56878

I git ripped off ! I didnt get any of that stuff I cant use any ways. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56880

Helps if the salesman is an old Army buddy. ;o) ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
TXIEC57

2003-06-06          56995

Ok, I'll try this again. I lost everything I typed earlier because I did not login or something else happened.
Here is why I decided with the John Deere 790:

After I decided on the 790 or 3000 to compare, I then had to make a purchase decision on which one. In this process I looked at the following attributes and here are my findings:

Application- I have 15 acres with scattered trees with some slight embankments. Either tractor would suffice for the type and amount of planned use.

Accessibility for Maintenance- I did not like the engine access covers on the L3000 especially with the FEL attached. Just to clean the pre filter screen you have to bend out of position to remove. I liked the flip up style hood on the 790.

FEL: JD has quick release bucket and controls are integeral within the body. L3000 controls mount on what looks like a backyard bracket that is in the exit path to the right. When L3000 FEL is removed the controls and huge ugly main mount frame remains vertically in the way on both sides. The 790 mount frame just extends out laterally maybe 8-10 inches. Might be a good extended leg/foot rest. I liked that. The L3000 shows to have more capability but I will sacrifice that for safety, less clutter and appearance.

Workmanship and feel: The 790 gave me a good feeling while working the tractor. The seat is more on top providing good visability. The clutch had good response and tractor responded with positive feedback. Kinda like a nice sports car. The L3000 was unpredictable and less responsive. Sat lower in seat, however I like the fenders better. The engine on the JD is much quieter. The L3000 may require earplugs.

Dealership: Saved the best for last. Let me tell you the JD salesman is superb. He stayed 1 1/2 hours after the store closed to answer all my questions and go over my thoughts. I could not make up my mind which tires I should get. R1 (Ag) or R4 (Ind) What did he do besides identifying pro and cons. He went out of the way to position two tractors with both tire combinations and then I was able to visually and dimensionally compare the two side by side. I selected the R4s because of the FEL stability the R4's gave the tractor. Besides I want to work close to the house at times. So I will sacrifice some traction for keeping my yard AG free. No comment on other dealerships.

Overall, I'm sure both tractors would be an excellent choice for my application. I am in no way intentionally putting down any tractors. I just felt right with selecting the JD over the L3000 or any of the comparable tractors of other brands I tested.

Thanks for all the support. I will pick up my tractor and my HAT soon and I will report further. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-06-07          57015

Sounds Great !!
You took the time to compare the models that intrested you.And picked what best suited your needs.
Good luck with your new machine. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-06-07          57024

congrats, another 790 owner. I agree the fell setup is well engineered it was a factor in my purchase.
as i said in my past post, I did not let two previous JD dealers discourage me , I did find a dealer that wanted to work with me with the machine I wanted !!!! ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
benfranklin

2003-06-13          57508

My congrats too on the 790. Mine is 3yrs old with 250 hours. Machine and dealer are exteamly reliable. A good point was made up front here and that is "how does it feel to operate". the machine needs to "fit" you and each of us just likes different things about the machine and deck on it - where the handles are, pedals etc. Most all are good machines but they need to fit and then get the job done. You made a good choice for you. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-13          57528

Another "Gedi" Warrior won over to the "Green Side". <;o()> ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
jeffmiles

2008-07-29          155703

I don't know if this counts but my L3000DT was stolen. I replaced it with a 790. It has not been stolen....knock on wood. ....

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
mancho58

2008-09-12          156599

Hi, I am new here, will you happen to have a set of instructions on what is involved and what needs to be taken care in the process of changing the oil (diesel) and the hydraulic oil on a 790 JD tractor.
And do you happen to have a grass cutter for this machine.
Thanks for your help on this.

JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-09-12          156617

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancho58 | view 156599
Hi, I am new here, will you happen to have a set of instructions on what is involved and what needs to be taken care in the process of changing the oil (diesel) and the hydraulic oil on a 790 JD tractor.And do you happen to have a grass cutter for this machine.Thanks for your help on this.

Can not help your questions but let me suggest you post this as a new Message rather than to the end of this one as many will not look here and miss your request. Your question on the grass cutter is a puzzle, there is a classified section here and you may find one there but this is not a dealership site. If you are wanting suggestions on what your options are on cutter for your tractor there are many Green Guys here who will chime in with expert advice. As to the oil change, is there more to a JD oil change than remove the oil pan plug and the filter? Are you needing info on type of oil or amount? Great site. Hope you enjoy it. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login