Go Bottom Go Bottom

New to the board and new the compact tractors

View my Photos
darrellb
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-15          53197

I'm currently looking into buying a new not so compact compact tractor. I want at least 40Hp and and 4wd. I also will purchase a front loader and a grader box with the tractor. Any info on the Kubota's GrandL, the Deere's 4010's, Case IH's DX's and the NH Bomer's would help, all 4 dealers are very close buy. I'm looking for the good and bad. The tractor will be doing all sorts of jobs as I'm starting a landscaping business. I've worked on a farm for most of my life but never have delt with these compact tractors. Every dealer says their tractor is the best, and give reasons why the others are bad but since these tractors are quite expensive I want some owners telling what they like and don't like about the brands they've had or have.

Sorry about the long post and thanks for the help.

DB

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-16          53204

I would go to the dealer that has given your farmequipment and you the best support over the years. The ag dealers that care about their customers will serve you the best and they all "SHOULD" have a good handle in the compact arena by now.

Good luck Harvey ....

View my Photos
lapine

2003-04-17          53310

The L series Kubota is not a compact its the step above but if you want a good hard working tractor for landscape work you may want to look at the new Kubota model B7800. It is a 30 hp 4 cylinder diesel which has a lot of power for landscape work and is 4 wheel drive hydro drive with power steering which you will want with loader work. I bought one in Febuary and am using it for landscaping and land clearing and have been real surprised with what it does with no complaints at all. the B7800 is the largest size of the compacts without the costly extras of the same size B2910. I hope this helps ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-04-17          53318

You are in the twilight zone of is it a CUT or a utility tractor .... The CUT's seem to stop at about 40 HP. What are you planning to do with the tractor ? Do You want hydro drive ? or synchro shuttle shift transmission ? If you are going to be using a box blade or plow you might want to consider draft control. Also look at the loader, do you want a self leveling bucket, nice but cost more.

I think we need more information to help you out.

The brands you mentioned are pretty much the same in quality. All are imported. I would look for one with the features you want/need, and the best price.

Enjoy. ....

View my Photos
darrellb

2003-04-17          53323

Yep it's gotta have the draft control and the self leveling loader as well. We have a 6400 JD on the farm and I really like the self leveling loader.

The tractor will be used for finish grading and loader work. I'm thinking of more of a Shuttle shift but the hydro would be ok as well. I'm for sure I want a power reverser.

I've been reading a lot of the other posts on the board and it's helped out a lot. I'm to the point where I think I'll go test them all and see which one fits the best.

Thanks for the help, and keep it coming.

DB

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-18          53342

I'm curious about the role of draft control in a landscaping buz, but maybe there are other needs as well. I think of draft control as something for plowing. I believe there is a discussion in the archives where Art describes experimenting with draft-control for a box scraper.

I'd compare the lift specs of a self-leveling loader with the same model w/o self-leveling. The feature on some models be selectable but it does take a bit of power to run self-leveling. Of course, start with a big enough tractor and power isn't an issue.

Self-leveling does have some safety advantages, but I suppose the main interest is that it saves time. If extensive loader operations are expected to be extensive, a few other features such as fast dump and maybe even return to dig features also might be time savers.

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-04-18          53351

Tom.
Perhaps I have used the wrong terminology. The self leveling loaders I was talking about, has to do with the way the lift/bucket cylinders are mounted with pivot points. As you raise the FEL arms the bucket keeps the same angle in relation to the ground, unless you cause it to change manually with the bucket control. This should not take any more power than a regular loader. Of course there is also the contour following option which is a hydraulic control thingy. It allows the bucket to follow the ground contour automatically, useful for scooping up material from a level surface, or leveling a driveway.

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-18          53373

I don't know if it is available for these small tractors, but a clam bucket can be invaluable. Years ago, my company experimented with just two in a fleet of many CK's. At the time you had to operate two levers in unison to make it work properly but I got to the point where I could clean spoil from a lawn and all you had left to do was sweep a bit. The time and back you save can be measured in $$ for a small businessman. The newer models are much more user friendly and every machine in our fleet has one on it! ....

View my Photos
Jeff Earthwerks Unli

2003-04-19          53377

I have a landscaping/excavating business also. I use a New Holland TC33D which is perfect for landscaping. The 4x4 and Super Steer options are the way to go. It will pull a fully loaded 6' box scraper with no problem.
Price without loader out the door was $13.500, included in the package was a spring-suspended seat, cruise control, industrial tires, tilt steering wheel. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-19          53387

Slowrev: I think we're on the same terminology--a loader that rolls the bucket forward automatically during lift to keep the bucket angle constant with respect to the ground. I think there are both mechanical and hydraulic ways to do this.

My point is that most bucket angles used for lifting loose material require power from the bucket circuit to start the dump. Then, gravity takes over and completes a dump w/o power from the tractor except maybe to hold it back. I suspect that some power to move the bucket would be required throughout a lift duration for most bucket attitudes. Any power required to move the bucket and lift simultaneously would add to the overall load a tractor must power. I suspect the issue is there whether the mechanism is hydraulic or mechanical, but I don't know if power required to move the bucket would actually affect lift specs noticeably. As usual, I'm being more theoretical than practical.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-04-19          53392

If you want a basic well built reliable tractor with little to no bells and whistles, I would suggest the John Deere 990. 40 HP, straight gear shift tractor. If you want a more versatile tractor with all the bells and whistles, I would suggest the John Deere 4710. 48 HP, optional ehydro, electronic MFWD engage, can be equipped with mid mounted PTO. The 4610 would meet your needs as well being a few HP less (44 HP) and alot less $$$. I think you will find that John Deere tractors hold the highest resale value of any tractor on the market. Check out the compact tractor section of John Deere's web site and compare. You can also compare the John Deere against other major brands and models there too. I own a 4410 with a 430 loader, and 72" MMM. I and VERY happy with this tractor and it does everything I ask of it. The ehydro is SO MUCH more user friendly and time saving to drive. I would suggest that you narrow down the models you are interested in and go to the dealer and test drive and operate them. You should also take into consideration which dealer is the most customer oriented and willing to go the extra mile for tech support and assistance. This is a BIG plus. I can tell you from personal experience that the 4710 is a great tractor. I recently procured 15 of them for the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). The soldiers love these tractors! We use them to tow helicopters on the flight line which weigh up to 50,000 lbs. These tractors do it without any problem. These tractors are now in Iraq and I have yet to hear of one complaint or break down. The only money I have spent on them was about $2500 in maintenance up keep parts such as filters and such. (very dusty and dirty over there and filters clog up fast) These tractors are run exclusively on JP-8 which most other makes will not even warranty use of. John Deere sent us a Government Sales/Support Rep to meet with us and has helped us with any issues we had to include training the soldiers on the use and maintenance of the tractors. No other manufacturer was willing to do that. Good luck on your decision! ....

Link:   John Deere Compact Tractor Link

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login