Go Bottom Go Bottom

what tractor

View my Photos
john.wolfe
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-29          52119

im in the market for a tractor,im thinking jd,kubota possibly kioti? i have a 5' very heavy duty bush hog and will be doing a bunch of fel work and also some mowing. how much power do i need and what models should i look at? was thinking a jd 790 cus of price vs 4210 but havent looked at other brands yet.any help would be appreciated!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

what tractor

View my Photos
boatman

2003-03-30          52190

I just purchased a tc 30 but wont receive it until Wednesday- I hope to be able to give an opinion after use.
See below link for info. ....

Link:   

Click Here

what tractor

View my Photos
john.wolfe

2003-03-30          52193

thanks boatman,im very interested!! i hope to be making a purchase soon and all comments are welcome! ....

what tractor

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-31          52225

John: A basic idea in tractor selection is that small and large tractors do about the same work but small ones take longer for power work but may be faster when a lot of maneuvering is required. Of course there are particular tasks that will stop either a large or a small one cold.

When starting to look for a tractor, there is a rule of thumb that relates tractor size to the size of typical rural properties and that can simplify the looking task a bit. Of course, I forget what the rule is but if you say how much property you have somebody will likely comment.

Myself, I have a 24 pto hp tractor for two properties each about 3-acres. It is a little large for finish mowing and I use a riding mower. However, the size is about right for the other work and it's a good compromise for me. Generally, the 'one size fits all' idea doesn't work that well for tractors and some compromise is required. I figure it's a good compromise if the tractor does 80 or 90-percent of what needs doing and the bigger stuff is contracted out and the smaller stuff done by my flock of small engine tools.

what tractor

View my Photos
john.wolfe

2003-03-31          52237

hi tom,thanks for the input. ill give some more info and hopefully ill be able to eliminate some of the choices. i have 63 acres about 3/4 is wetlands and 4/5 wooded. i have a 9n but it just isnt up to the task of bushhogging with my 5' hogger.its underpowered and very old with no loader.i just dont want to put money into it,id rather step up in size and ability. other work will include a gravel driveway about 400 plus feet in length and some deer food plots, dragging some good size trees,BIG stones,and probably some diggging trenches,then your normal mowing work and landscaping. this is just for myself not commercial.i hope thats enough info,again all comments are welcome!! ....

what tractor

View my Photos
ruger454

2003-03-31          52289

Get as big a tractor as you can afford. It sounds like you have enough property to justify a larger tractor.(jd 4510-4710, n.h. tc40-tc45, kubota 3830-4830?). I started small and ended up with a tc45d and love it, I do a lot of similar
work that you described. There are a lot of good deals on
used tractors also, just make sure you test some before you buy. I have had great luck with all of my compacts. ....

what tractor

View my Photos
john.wolfe

2003-03-31          52291

i just looked at a ford 1910 with 770a loader.its pretty good size but im not sure what the power rating is for it.didnt get a chance to talk to owner so im not sure what year either. ....

what tractor

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-01          52330

1910's are around 27 or 28 pto hp and were built in the mid-80's. NH provides parts and service support for the 10-series Ford compacts.

If it has one shifter on the steering column and the range shifter on the TX top cover, then it has the optional 12 x 4 synchromesh TX which is very desirable if much loader work is anticipated. 4wd also is a desirable option for loader work. I think creeper kits for these tractors are still available from NH but mid-pto is mysterious. It's a little hazy if a mid-pto has ever been available for these tractors although there is a fuse slot for it.

what tractor

View my Photos
john.wolfe

2003-04-01          52410

tom ,it had two shifters on the floor,cant say ive seen one like it before,but then i havent been around tractors very much either.is 27 pto hp good enough to cut down thick brush? and if so how big of a diameter stems is it capable of cuttting with out slowing the blades down to a crawl? thanks.john ....

what tractor

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-01          52413

John,

The 790 will do what you are wanting but it would be at it's limits in medium to heavy stuff. I would recommend the JD 990 for your application. For the money, the JD 990 is a best buy as far as most tractors go. If you are wanting hydrostatic drive, a 45,46,4710 is what I would suggest. The 4410 can run an MX5 but that may not be as big and heavy as you are specifying. 4610 is a good bet for the money in that department. Good luck!

Randy

what tractor

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-01          52414

John: I just checked the site tonight to login in and activate my new elite status. Easy to do and the least expensive way I've ever come to be known as elite.

More later if needed. There are quite a few threads in the archives that are relevant to your question and provide detailed answers. Briefly, the main idea in tractors is big ones and small ones do about the same jobs but small ones take longer for power work and big ones take longer if tight maneuvering is required. Big tractors get work done faster mostly because they use wider implements.

Generally, it's good if implements are just about the right width to cover the rear wheel tracks. Rear wheel and power tend to go together and implement manufacturers tend to build implements rated for the power most tractors of a particular width have.

The question of how big material a tractor will cut really is more related to a rotary cutter's rating. Many manufacturers rate their cutters as light, medium and heavy models that will cut 1", 2" and 3" woody material respectively. However, it's not uncommon for a tractor not to have enough HP to run a heavy-duty cutter that's as wide as the rear wheels. Of course, the hp required does depend on what's being cut and operating techniques often can cut material larger than a manufacturer's rating. However, using a big tractor and a light-duty to cut heavy brush just because the hp is there is asking for a broken cutter.

In terms of specifics, I'm not sure if 1910's are much wider than the 5' of my 1710. If it's about 5', the 27 or 28 pto hp should put the tractor comfortably into the 5' medium cutters of many manufacturers. The issue with the non-synchromesh TX is that you would have to come to near stops when shifting either gears or ranges. It can be an issue in loader work.

what tractor

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-01          52422

I've been able to use a my TC29 back to back with an 8N, and I would say that they are close the same as far as power and what they'll do. The modern tractor is much more convenient due to the live PTO and live hydraulics, and simply because it is easier to get on and off. The TC30 and TC29 are close if not identical in engines. I would think you'd want the next class up in the Boomer tractors, say a TC45. Maybe you should look at the NH 3010, which to me looks like an affordable alternative. Or even the 2wd TN series farm tractors, which I believe are more affordable than the Boomer line.

Link:   New Holland 3010S

what tractor

View my Photos
john.wolfe

2003-04-02          52477

thanks for the info guys! i think im going to have to look for a used tractor after looking into this stuff. boy you can spend a lot of money in a hurry!! im gathering that i should look for at least a 35hp tractor minimum for what im looking to do and they dont come cheap.lol thanks again!! ....

what tractor

View my Photos
john.wolfe

2003-04-05          52628

hey boatman,just wodering how you like that tc30?? enough power for you? a freind just bought one and said it is the exact same motor as the 33d.is that true? j. ....

what tractor

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-04-05          52630

John, First the 790 doesn't have enough 3-PT lift capacity for your Brush Hog. I love JD tractors, but there is much better value eleswhere in the under $20K range. I would check out the big three from Korea before looking used. Century - Branson (identical except for loaders) Kioti and Mahindra. My local Century dealer had a 30HP tractor with R4 tires quick attach loader for $13,500 out the door (plus tax etc.). This is the minimum tractor I would get for your size acerage. I just ordered a 48HP Century for my 20 acres. The universal feeling is that all the Korean tractors are an exceptional value for the money. JMHO
Pacesetter ....

what tractor

View my Photos
boatman

2003-04-09          52836

John, my TC30 seems to have more than enough power for my needs. Keep in mind that mine is the 9x3 trans (with the hydro trans option you will lose some PTO HP). So far I have put 10 hours on the tractor. I am heading out now for another full days work in the pasture. I absolutely love this tractor. I will post a message tonight with some initial impressions of the TC30 after todays work. By the way, I love this 9x3 trans-the shift lever is on the dash and 2nd and reverse are in direct line so that you don't even have to look when shifting between forward and reverse.You can shift between forward and reverse with your left hand without even taking the hand off of the steering wheel (excellent). This makes for very efficient work when you are looking behind (backing mower in and out of tight spots). ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login