Go Bottom Go Bottom

Winter storage under cover

View my Photos
Captain B
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-11-24          33377

I am clearing land in New Hampshire on which we will build next year. I am considering storing my JD990 up there (I don't have a truck or trailer) so I can work weekends through first snow. So far I can't locate indoor space. My neighbor has offered space behind his barn. If I remove the battery, check the anti-freeze, and secure the tarp carefullly am I ok outside? I assume that with loaded tires I don't have to use blocks. The 990 is in pristine condition. I am particularly concerned about condensation under the tarp which might cause rust. On the other hand, I can spend $650 on hauling down here and back next spring and have total peace of mind. What to do?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-11-24          33378

With your said intentions I would think you could save your 650 dollars for another attachment for your tractor. I don't see any problem with what you would like to do. Come spring look around first before starting to make sure some rodents didn't make a new home in your tractor some place. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-11-24          33388

I can't see any problem with leaving it out with the tarp on it. Your tractor is no different than you car. You could probably spend a little money on a solar battery charger and leave the battery in the tractor.
I'm sure that you could find someone with a car hauler that will move the tractor for less. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2001-11-25          33394

CPT B Your tarp idea should be fine. Just do not tarp it tight to the ground, allow air flow. Use bungy cords to secure the tarp or weighted jugs, gallon water bottles should work unless you have very high winds. Put some padding on sharp areas and painted areas. A better idea for long term storage is build a small tight frame work over and around and nail the tarp on with battens and heave the whole mess in the spring or save for a wood shed. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-11-25          33398

Don't forget to block the clutch. There are usually some other things mentioned in the extended storage section of many manuals. Frozen clutches from not blocking them aren't uncommon.

It is nice to be have a tractor sheltered year-around, not only for storage but also for maintenance and repairs. I got my tractor late one summer, after doing what tractor work I had to do it was too late in the year to solve the storage problem. I got a 10' x 25' arctic shelter enclosure with an entrance high enough for the ROPS and an all-weather cover. The price wasn't too bad, and I'm still using it 3-years later while I'm still thinking about building an equipment shed. I figure that when the shed get built, the shelter still will be useful for lengthy projects in the bush. I suppose, I've got to get the shed done since I have several implements that won't fit in the shed and have to be tarped. Even my wife wants me to build a shed. Of course, she wanted a wash-shed and rail fence at our camp this summer more than she wanted an equipment shed. I guess that’s a pretty good reason to use the arctic shelter for another year.

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2001-12-01          33583

I stored my JD1070 on my building lot in southern ME last winter under a good quality tarp(not blue). I used it though occasionally to plow out the entrance so I had a place to park while my kids went sledding etc. I don't think it was particularly bad for for the tractor but I wish I had purchased one of those soft shelters from BJ's or similar as I would still have it to use now. The big problem is snow load of course. Even though I put a cut off soda can over the vertical exhaust pipe I'm surprised the weight of snow didn't rip the tarp. When ice forms in the folds the weight can be unbelievable. This year I will either build a true shelter or more likely a quick temp lean to off another structure as money and time are tight but 2X's are plentiful. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-12-02          33608

I've writtten to several companies that make motorcycle covers and asked if they would be interested in making one for a compact tractor. To date, no replies. Maybe if we all wrote them we could get a response. I do have one particular cover that I prefer for the motorcycle. Anyone have any ideas how to get their attention?? ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-12-02          33609

To expand on the thought, I keep all 3 tractors under tarps. Used to use the blue ones and bunjee cords and they would flog terribly in the wind. but I never did see any damage as a result. I should mention that I have been known to wax my tractor.....so to me paint scuffing is damage....
Lately I have been using regular tarps with one slick waxed side and one soft side next to the tractor. They are so heavy that they won't flog, so they are held down with boot laces. After a season they sort of conform to the tractor shape and they do breathe a little. I punch a hole for the exhaust and label the corners as well as the inside/outside surface. But the darn things are heavy and bulky. Would much rather have something like a motorcycle or sports car cover.

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2001-12-02          33621

I thoughly agree. I've looked at those ATV covers by the dozen but never found one that would work for my purpose. A semi fitted cover perhaps with battens inside to arch over non-contact areas like between the rops and the steering wheel to shed snow. Perhaps vented made out of, lets say, Sunbrella material. How am I doing so far? ....

View my Photos
harvey

2001-12-03          33623

Custom make tarps can usually be obtained thru a canvas/sail maker. Boat areas usually have a couple of these guys in the yellow pages or stop at the marina. THEY CAN GET PRICEY! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-12-03          33628

The 25' x 10' shelter (actually 12' wide at the bottom) cost about $1200CAN three years ago. It's on a steel frame and carries a substantial snow load, although I don't think I'd want to leave it for an entire season without clearing the top. However, in areas that get periodic thaws, the snow would tend to slide off the top before the next freeze. The shelters are made for arctic conditions, so they withstand high winds when anchors are installed and the cover aprons are weighted with gravel. They are billed as 'snow proof' but not 'rain proof'). In fact, it's adequately rainproof for my purposes. I got an all-season cover fabric that allows the shelter to be used year-around. The winter only cover is slightly less expensive.

Mine gives me enough space to work on the tractor and get most of my implements inside as well. Big thing is that I can drive it in and out of the shelter without removing tarps etc. Many people around here have one or more of the shelters. They are about the least expensive way of getting a decent sized shelter erected quickly.

View my Photos
Jiffyjam

2001-12-06          33677

Seems I saw an ad on Carvers website that they carry compact tractor covers, sorta like the ones you use on cars. ....

View my Photos
cordspa

2001-12-14          33815

I think tractors are made to take extremes in use and storage. Of course Maine and Can. are limits. I went to NAPA and bought a 50 ft roll of corrugated flex 3/4 inch wiring cover. It is weather resistent to sun rot and all weather. I sleeved all my Hyd. lines. everything else except the seat is protected by the frame or body parts. I also cover it with tarp disconnect pos. battery terminal, block clutch etc. If you have block heater tractor should be fine. Also I have measured my tractor and if you look at a Checker Auto or equivilant in your area you will find a car or truck cover that will be a close fit. Rick ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-12-15          33828

Rick: the wiring covering is an interesting idea. Is it the same stuff that's used as an alternative to BX (aluminum armoured wire)?

If have a length of it that my electrical inspector wants me to use to bring a really poor wiring job a previous owner had done for a new well pump. Basically, the electrician just brought standard poly-covered line in through the basement wall and sort of looped it over to the control box. Inspector says that's a no no. The flex conduit seems like pretty good stuff, but I never thought about using it outside. It's really good stuff if it's sun, weather etc. resistant.

View my Photos
cordspa

2001-12-20          33932

Tom; try NAPA part # 737302 polyloom. I found the 3/4 inch to be the best for hyd lines. It comes in 25 ft. rolls. Rick ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-12-21          33940

Thanks Cord: I realized after I posted that you were referring to the automotive rather than the residential wiring stuff. I already looked in our local box store, and they don't have 3/4" in stock. I guess what they sell is to people looking to protect trailer wiring. Most everything had to be ordered here in the country I guess.

I'm not actually sure the residential flex conduit would be good to use on hydraulic lines. It would provide better mechanical protection, but it's less flexible and would almost seal the hose except at the ends. It probably isn't intended for outside use either. It is good stuff for residential wiring though--a big improvement over alternatives of BX or rigid conduit. ....

View my Photos
Gary in Indiana

2002-01-17          34636

I know I've seen tractor covers (like car covers) advertised somewhere on the internet. I'm not sure it wasn't with Carver. I do know they exist. Do a seach with Carver here and, if that fails, try Google. ....

Link:    Google

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login