Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4400 HST GEAR SELECTOR LEVER WILL NOT MOVE

View my Photos
TERRYG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2018-06-30          197826

MY 4400 HYDROSTATIC 4X4(1999) 1200 HOURS.WILL NOT MOVE. ENGINE STARTS, RUNS FINE, HYDRAULICS ON 3 POINT, BELLY MOWER, AND FRONT END LOADER ALL WORK FINE. THE GEAR SELECTOR LEVER WILL NOT MOVE AND IS APPARENTLY STUCK IN NEUTRAL OR BETWEEN GEARS.OIL LEVEL IN FRONT AXEL AND HYDRAULICS ARE ALL FULL,JACKED UP REAR AXEL AND THE WHEELS WILL MOVE ( ONE GOES FORWARD, (ONE GOES IN REVERSE)SO THE BRAKES ARE NOT LOCKED UP.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jdgreen

2018-07-08          197852

WHat were you doing with the tractor when it quit moving? Did it make any noise? Has the range lever been shifting ok previously? If you don't shift the range lever very often, it may be just stuck from rust. Try spraying pivot points with penetrating oil and keep moving it back and forth to see if it will free up. If it won't move at all, then heat may be required.

If you have used it frequently and it suddenly got stuck, then there may be something broken inside. Tractor may need to be split to see what is broken or stuck. ....

View my Photos
TERRYG

2018-07-09          197853

tractor and gear selector was used regularly. total hours is only 1225( bought new) when the dealer pulled it off the trailer the gearshift broke free but now only has high gear, something is broke inside and the dealer will break it apart this week(gulp). estimate of $4,000-$6,000( ridiculous)!!!
when it happened front end loader
just got a scoop of dirt fr(om a pile and was in 2nd gear. it was stopped and when went to get back on it; it was stuck(????)you would think it would be made more robust, than failing in 1225 hours. makes me have doubts about modern john deere engineering.i have a 1937 unstyled model L , 1936 unstyled "A",and a '49 mt.- all gearboxes are in good condition,after all these years ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2018-07-14          197856

Sorry to hear you have internal problems. The estimate sounds plenty high, hopefully they were covering worst case scenario and you will get off easier. It is hard to beat the reliability of the old 2 cylinder tractors. The big thing they had going for them was simplicity. The newer tractors(especially compacts) stuff a lot of stuff into a small space and that requires components(gear,shifters, etc) to be smaller and lighter to fit in. If you have ever seen any transmission components of the old 2 cylinders compared to a compact tractor transmission, you would be amazed at the difference. Plus the older tractor ran at much lower rpms. probably about 1100 rpm versus 3000 rpm. more revolutions equals more wear. I am sure there will be arguments about this since lower speeds can equal more torque forces, but if a bearing is spinning with equal forces at three times the speed, there is going to be more wear. ....

View my Photos
TERRYG

2018-07-14          197859

i couldnt agree more with you. its all about money and profits today.everything is built cheap today compared to yesteryears products. i have long said john deere built its reputation on the 2 cylinder machines and still are making profits based on reputation and simplicity of machines built 50+ years ago ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login