Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4100 gear 3 point not workin

View my Photos
Jdeere4210
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-01-14          196097

I am trying to work on my neighbors John Deere 4100. It sat for a couple months this summer. When he went to use it nothing happens when he moves the lever to raise or lower the three point hitch. The front loader and power steering works fine. I played with the rate of drop knob and still nothing. I changed hydraulic fluid and cleaned the screen. The linkage is in tact and the shaft going into the case turns when I move the lever but doesn't seem to have much resistance to it. I took the link arms off to make sure nothing was binding but it wasn't. They are stuck in the up position. I feel that since there is not much resistance on the lever that it is probably something inside but I don't know what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
PaulChristenson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-01-15          196104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeere4210 | view 196097
I am trying to work on my neighbors John Deere 4100. It sat for a couple months this summer. When he went to use it nothing happens when he moves the lever to raise or lower the three point hitch. The front loader and power steering works fine. I played with the rate of drop knob and still nothing. I changed hydraulic fluid and cleaned the screen. The linkage is in tact and the shaft going into the case turns when I move the lever but doesn't seem to have much resistance to it. I took the link arms off to make sure nothing was binding but it wasn't. They are stuck in the up position. I feel that since there is not much resistance on the lever that it is probably something inside but I don't know what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3-POINT HITCH DROPS SLOWLY OR DOES NOT DROP --- Hydraulic stop valve closed. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-01-16          196107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeere4210 | view 196097
I feel that since there is not much resistance on the lever that it is probably something inside but I don't know what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know about that unit in particular, most of my tractors are Orange not Green, but the up / down 3pth control lever on most tractors is a round rod that goes through the transmission / differential housing with a threaded hole in the end of it. The lever you grab to move the arms is bolted into that rod. If the bolt or other connection comes loose, the result is exactly what you describe, no resistance on the lever and no motion in the 3pth.

Get underneath the tractor, with the engine OFF, and have a helper move the 3pth lever back and forth and ensure that the entire linkage is moving, not just the lever.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login