Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 790 - Ag Tire Size and chains to push a JD59 snow blower

View my Photos
greg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-09-07          19564

got a quote for a 790 and wanted to get the "smaller" ag tires so i could get chains on them without taking the fenders off. when i went to order, the dealer told me that JD no longer offers the tractor with the "smaller diameter" ag tires (evidently not enough people were ordering them). anyone know if this is the case? we live in the hills of western maryland and i have trouble getting my old IH up (and down) the lane plowing snow without chains. dealer said i could run chains on just the front with no damage to the driveline. would appreciate any knowledge about this as i know about nothing about these 4wd compacts. if anyone is running a 790 with a front mount 59 inch JD blower would appreciate any comments.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 790 - Ag Tire Size and chains to push a JD59 snow blower

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-09-08          19579

I cleared snow last winter using a 60" 3ph blower on a 24hp 4wd tractor. The tractor has turf tires and no chains. The drive is gravel, but there was a lot of freezing rain during December, and several inches of glaze ice lasted most of the winter on parts of the drive.

I could have used more traction for pushing and stacking snow with the loader, but the traction was plenty for blowing. I could have used a little more steering in places, but then, I didn't even have to resort to brake steering.

Here it is that time of year again, and I'm starting to think about chains. I didn't get around to it last winter and maybe I won't this year either. It really was OK last year without chains. Well, there weren't many heavy snow falls last year either.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login