Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractors R Us

View my Photos
ericjohnson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-07-17          195489

Is there a suggested method for teaching a young man how to drive a tractor? This is a JD 970 (?) with a Frontier 5' rotary mower and a JD Front end loader that is used mostly for balance. I'm 71 and slowing down and the grandson wants to take on some of the mowing of our 12 acres. He can drive his p/u but there's a lot more to do with the tractor plus no way to position a helper to ride with him.

Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tractors R Us

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-07-18          195493

Good to have you here Eric. I go to Church with a younger Eric Johnson.

What a great opportunity and what an awesome responsibility. I have four grandchildren, oldest just turned 13 and my youngest will be 3 in October. The oldest as younger age had big interest in tractors which my youngest now has. The two in the middle never had any interest in them.

With the info you provided with some info on his ability with make the following suggestions.
Depending on how easy to remove the front end loader would remover it and mower and have it get use to the bare tractor. Of course begin at low speeds and lower throttle. Have him get use to how tight it will turn, how the individual brakes work (would be 100% sure he understands they are locked for anything that does not need them).

Then increase the speed to get use to real operating speeds and really would have him make turns at operating speeds he would be for mower.

Then install the FEL and with no cutter have him work the controls for the FEL. If you can have him with some load on it and him get feel for how it changes the balance and stress you move when Up rpms so he has idea how the rpms changing affects the speed of the fel and also the cutter speed.

I would then install the mower and have him do a some driving with both FEL and mower on the tractor to get feel for the length of the outfit and how wide both swing with turns. Way different than a pickup with FEL overhanding the front axle and the mower the rear. Stress how this comes into play around post or trees on the outside of the area to be mowed.

I would being with cutter running at lower rpms then needed to give good cut and with mower raised where it does not give full cut for a few rounds. When comfortable there would increase the rpms, lower mower and let him go.

Now you know your grandson and your are there, you may feel no need to each of these steps, I am using my 13 year old for my base here.

But one place to begin, you may wish to have him read operators manual on tractor and If you can find one showing a blade coming off of mower or other object coming out as missile or the damage such can do it might get his attention. He needs to understand how dangerous a mower is with the speed the tips are running. I know of no more dangerous implement than a mower with the weight of especially the rough cut ones blades. Do mention how something can come from under the deck, hit a tree or such and come back and yes kill the operator. That line is covered on other threads here as odd as that may seem.

If the area to be mowed has rocks or stumps you need to walk it with him and mark them and not make him depend on memory.

Congratulations on a grandson who wants to learn and help. Congratulations on being a granddaddy who wants him to learn safely and right.

Now pray for him!

Tractors R Us

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-07-19          195507

Do have him wear both hearing and eye protection. ....

Tractors R Us

View my Photos
ericjohnson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-07-19          195508

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. It gives me something to think about and the basis of a "plan".

Eric ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login