Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4500 starter ignition electrical problem please help

View my Photos
squirrel13
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-04-08          186611

Good morning all,

desperate JD owner here. I have a 99' JD 4500 I bought used a year ago with just over 2k hours.

For the most part runs strong. About 2 months ago started giving me some electrical headaches.

every 5th or 6th start, would get a nasty grinding sound when I turned the key - instead of a clean start.

once it would not start at all, I had to pull it 10 feet in neutral, then it started fine.

Yesterday, it gave me the loud screech when trying to start. It had been running for about an hour, starting and stopping like normal, parked w/ engine off for about 15 minutes while I replaced sway arm bolts on the 3 pt, then wouldn't start.

then it kept screeching, weaker and stranger for about 4 more tries.

now I get no noise at all, nothing, key turns and no sound at all.

I can't even get this thing to the JD dealer before Saturday (they are closed when I'm not at work) and I can't afford to pay them for pick-up. Not even sure I can afford to pay them period.....

Any suggestions as to what this might be? If it were a car I'd guess starter, but I'm new to tractors, and really tight on funds.

I'm loosing my contractor job to sequester cuts and looking for a new one, but currently staring at unemployment in 4 weeks, so any advice on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-04-09          186618

Start with the basics. First, recharge the battery. If it won't accept a charge, replace it. Then make sure full battery voltage is getting to the starter solenoid. Under-powered or failing solenoids - especially in combination with a weak battery - will cause those kind of sounds. But understand that the voltage test is only valid when the solenoid is electrically engaged. If full voltage is energizing the solenoid - and the issue persists - replace the solenoid. Or - simply take the tractor to an auto parts store. They test starting/charging problems for free.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
squirrel13
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-04-09          186623

Greg,

Thanks for the feedback. I should have included some more details.

I have a brand new battery on this tractor, put in just about 3 weeks ago. It was cranking strong the morning it died on me, successfully started with no problems 3 or 4 times, so I'm pretty sure it's not the battery.

I'm eager to learn more about the solenoid. I read on some other forums of folks with similar (but not the same) model tractors with problems with the solenoid.

I posted the same question on several other forums, and some users told me the starter is bad, without providing any detail.

I was led to believe the solenoid is somewhat cheaper to replace than the starter.

Would it be safe to replace the solenoid, then test, and then only replace the starter if fixing the solenoid doesn't work?

Thanks again for the advice.

Ben ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-04-09          186630

I would first check to be sure the starter is mounted tight to the tractor. Then the battery cables and such. Did not notice you tried jumping to start but if you can SAFELY by pass the battery to the terminals on the solenoid. Talking about the terminal from the battery, not the one to the starter. Do not want to bypass the safety switch and you get jammed between tractor and something.
If you still get the same then I would removed the starter and try playing with the bendix and turning the starter by hand to see if you find it binding or such. I think you will find bad bendix or bearing in the starter.
As Greg pointed out many parts stores will test a starter for you. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2013-04-11          186655

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel13 | view 186623
I was led to believe the solenoid is somewhat cheaper to replace than the starter.Would it be safe to replace the solenoid, then test, and then only replace the starter if fixing the solenoid doesn't work?
Yes, the solenoid is a replaceable component of the starter. It's job is to throw the spinning starter motor pinion gear into the ring gear on your flywheel. When a solenoid either doesn't get enough juice from the battery - or when it's simply wearing out - it gets too weak to throw the pinion far enough. Grinding and/or chattering noises happen instead.

Auto parts stores will test starting systems, but not the actual starter/solenoid itself. For that you have to go to an auto-electric shop. Most tractor starters are easily removed, to be hand carried to the a-e shop. There they can bench test both the starter and the solenoid, and provide a diagnosis. I did this with one of my tractor starters. Testing was free, since it was agreed that any work needed would be performed in that shop. In that case, the starter motor needed rebuilding. I was quite pleased when the total bill only came to $65.

//greg// ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login