JD Reliability : John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review JD Reliability : John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 07-18-2000, 14:24 Post: 18070
Philip

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 JD Reliability

I am seriously thinking of buying a John Deere 4300. I have had two previous John Deere (garden) tractors, a 245 and 445. At about 2 years old the 245 started leaking oil from the crankcase gasket. I had it in the shop and they replaced the gasket, then a few weeks later it started again - back to the shop and back to me. A week later ...They told me there was little they could do, the engine was so out of balance that it was just shaking itself (almost literaly) to pieces, the only cost effective solution would be to replace the engine. I do wonder about this advice, although the shop in question is probably the larget JD dealer in the area, has been around for a long time, and has a good reputation.The 245 was too small for my needs anyway so I traded it in against a 445. Now, at 2 years old, the 445 just dumped all its hydraulic fluid. The problem was grass winding itself around the PTO and getting under the PTO seal. The 445 is really marginal for my 2.5 acres, so again I am thinking of upgrading.Now, am I just unlucky or what ? I know the 4300 is a completely different class of machine, and paying that much, I will expect more - will I get it ? or am I looking at replacing that after 2 years ??I expected better reliability form JD ... did I have a right to ?Philip

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 07-18-2000, 14:56 Post: 18073
Ken Schwartman

JD Reliability

In regaurds to JD reliability, I have owned 2 4000 series tractors recently. The first one was a 4300 and the second a 4400. The 4300 was new and cursed me with many problem to many to state, mainly in the mechanics. I just received my new 2000 4400 in Feb. I have had alot of hydraulic problems with it, and other mechanical problems. Having a tractor because of its color was the most stupid thing I have ever done. I have recently taken a part time job selling Case compact tractors. (New Holland painted Red) I wouldnt sell something to some one else if I didnt believe in the product, and this ic come from a Big JD fan.

07-18-2000, 22:26 Post: 18081
Chris in IN

JD Reliability

Philip I bought a 4400 HST in December of last year. I now have 86 hours on it,
about 70 of those hours are loader & backhoe work. The only problem to date was the front axle and it was replaced at 31 hours. I also own a JD 425 AWS with 60" deck that I have owned since 1995 and have put 337 hours on it. The only problems with it have been, the carburetor was replaced at 31 hours & the water pump seal replaced a 246 hours. If I had it to do over again I would buy the same tractors. Chris

07-18-2000, 22:56 Post: 18083
Mike S.

Filter by User
 JD Reliability

Philip--as previously indicatedby one very learned person--buying a tractor because of its color is not the smartest thing to do. I owned one Kubota for two years and by second Kubota for ten years and the total repair bills on both was under ten dollars for a broken tachometer cable. For some reason I decided I needed a green tractor and purchased a JD 4400HST with 60" belly mower and 430 loader with forks and heavy duty bucket. This tractor's PTO locked up at 8 hours, at 40 hours it started losing power when in road gear due to one brake being too tight, and about that time the hydrostatic transmission started grabbing and slipping. At 112 hours the brakes locked up and the transmission was in such poor shape that it was dangerous to use, so its front end was replaced along with the transmission, a kit was put in the PTO, brakes were replaced and some minor upgrades are still awaited. It has been back to the dealer three times and will go back again for the minor linkage upgrades. Thanks to an excellent dealer, my tractor is working fine and finally a joy to use after a year of frustrations being an unofficial (and unpaid) field tester for JD and helping them to discover some poor design and quality control issues. I suspect that by now, JD has the bugs worked out of the 4xxx line. Perhaps I am one of a very few that purchased a 4400 with bugs, but I can take pride in the dependability of my Kubotas and cannot do the same with my JD--especially when my neighbor laughs at my tractor since he has a dependable Kubota.

07-18-2000, 23:09 Post: 18084
Eddie Watkins

Filter by User
 JD Reliability

Philip, I have a JD 4300 bought in March. It has 83 hours on it and I have had no problems to date. At 2900 pounds it is a little heavy for lawn mowing especially if you water regularly but it performs landscape and dirt work great. I think the design of it is more for heavy lifting and farm type work such as brush hogging and grading. I was able to remove a pond dam that was about 8 ft tall and 150 ft long in 13 hours with no problem. A dozer could have done the same job in 3-4 hours but what fun would have that been? If your main intent is to get something to mow with, I would look at some of the lighter tractors that are designed more for pulling than lifting. The JD 4100 falls in that category as well as several of the B series Kubotas and and New Holland Boomers. I personally wouldn't be afraid to buy JD again but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another brand either depending on what I wanted to do and which one I felt satisfied my requirements the best.

07-18-2000, 23:50 Post: 18085
Alan L. Lewis

JD Reliability

If you buy a 4300 to use on 2.5 acres it should last about 50 years. I use my Kubota B2710 regularly on about 12 acres. A mere 2.5 acres I can mow in just a little over an hour and thats with an undersized 5' finish mower. I brush hog my 12 acres in about 7 hours.

That 4300 is a little more tractor than the B2710 and ALOT heavier. If you really need a tractor that powerful for loader work and such (certainly not for mowing 2.5 acres) I would recommend you look at the B2710 or B2910 from Kubota as they are lighter tractors and easier on the turf. If its just mowing and light loader work you should at least give the Kubota BX2200 a look. Unlike the JD 400 series, this is a real diesel 4WD tractor with cat 1 hitch.

I suspect that most of the problems have been worked out of the JD 4000 series tractors and I wouldn't be hesitant buy one if I was inclined. I bought the Kubota because I preferred the comfort and controls, and it turns out it is extremely reliable also.

Or you might consider a JD 8410. Wow - at 235 HP you could move your 2.5 acres across the state!! I have one pulling a scraper digging my tank right now. Pretty impressive.

07-19-2000, 01:01 Post: 18091
Jim Youtz

JD Reliability

Philip, I would seriously consider buying a JD4100 for your needs. I have 3 acres and this tractor is all I could want. Just the right size to mow grass, it has some of the features of the larger tractors that similar-sized Kubotas don't have (3 pt position control, turning brakes). I will admit to reading a lot about new model problems with the 4000 series, but I will add that these only apply to the 4200+ models. The 4100 is made in Japan by Yanmar, and is very dependable (read the posts-they rarely mention any problems with this model). I think that you would be surprised at what you can accomplish with this 20 HP 4wd tractor: the loader has an 830 lb. capacity, the 3pt hitch has a 930 lb. capacity, PTO HP = 17. It has tremendous hydraulic flow capacity for a small tractor (most in its class) due to it having dual hydraulic pumps. You can use a 5' mid-mount mowing deck, a 4' bushhog, a 4 or 5' box blade, a 5 or 6 foot rear blade and a 52"+ rototiller. I pull a subsoiler and a one bottom plow with ease. Unless you have some other land or commercial uses in mind, I don't know why you would want anything larger. I have looked the 4300 over, and I would not want it to use around my place-it just needs more room to roam than I have. I love mine, but even if you buy another color, I would still stay in this size class-maybe a New Holland TC21 or Kubota B series around 20 HP.

07-19-2000, 09:44 Post: 18100
Jack D

JD Reliability

I traded a Kubota L2500 for a 4400 in 1999,(upgraded for capacity, and the Hydro) and, like others, had the front axle problem. The dealer was great, and, with JD's blessing, traded me even for a new 2000 tractor. Since then, I had a small hydro problem, which the dealer fixed at my place. I use the 4400 for just about everything -- bush hog 7 acres of pasture, move top soil & manure w/loader, cultivate garden, etc., rough grade my lane, move snow, etc., etc. and am very satisfied. I have a lawn mower (JD) for the 2 acres of lawn. I'd suggest you look at all the technical specs, then look at each for the features you may need or want. (Ease of control location, comfort, ease of climbing on & off, etc.) Last, and most important, check out the dealers - they most likely will be who you go to for parts & service - not the mfr. I do agree, that the 4300 is a little heavy for 2-3 acres of mowing. My neighbor mows that amount, and tills a 1 acre garden with a 4100. Whatever you get, be certain it's the one you want -- they're all a big expenditure! Good luck!

07-19-2000, 10:45 Post: 18103
MichaelSnyder

TP Contributor

JD Reliability

I have to agree with Jim on this one.
I also looked at a 4300 for my 2 acre yard.. This would have been a mistake to say the least, for many reasons. We ended up with a 4100 and I am for the most part...very pleased. IMO, No other tractor in its class comes close in terms of "ease of use" or features. For example, a 10-12 year old kid could install/remove the loader or belly mower...without tools, or an instruction manual.. Plus, I can remove the bucket (no tools) in about 20 seconds, 10 of which is used in mounting and dismounting the seat. This has come in super handy when you don't want to remove the loader, need a little extra front end weight to offset the rear yet have good visual of what is in front of you. (mowing, etc) A few times I've needed to remove the bucket to fit into a tight spot while pulling out trees. Now for the "not so hot" stuff. Kubota has a stronger hydro, but lousey controls. (They should put the L series pedel on the B's) Engine also "seems" stronger, and definitely smoother running. Capacities on Kub are a little higher. But most of all, Kubota offers 2 or 3 motors in one platform exSo Sad2710-2910) are in the same frame. If you ask me what I would buy next time.....Probably a NH..

07-20-2000, 23:14 Post: 18150
Eddie Watkins

Filter by User
 JD Reliability

It's not a tractor but I bought a JD push lawn mower about 2 months ago. I use it to trim in some tight places after I finish mowing with my riding mower. It's 6 hp model JS 60. Just a bottom of the line mower for trimming up. I mow about 20-30 minutes with it when I do trimming, sometimes every mowing but normally every other mowing. The first time I mowed I was mulching and it was bogging down in normal grass so I took it back and the dealer readjusted it. It had all the power I needed but it would go through a tank of gas in about 20 minutes. Tonight I started it and was mowing a ditch by the road and it started loosing power again. I adjusted the throttle as much as I could but it never mowed any better. It finally mowed a real loud noise like I had hit something. Ilooked for obstructions and there was nothing there, looked at the blades, no dents. I tried to restart it and it would just spin loosely with no compression. It might have had 8 hours on it but probably more like 4. What really irritates me was the mower I replaced was a 3.5 hp Wards mower that was 20 years old that never gave me a minutes worth of trouble. It's not a tractor but lasting 4 hours is not very reliable unless its ice cream in Texas.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 18070 Filter by Poster:
Alan L. Lewis 1 | Bill Gardner 2 | Bird Senter 1 | Chris in IN 1 | David B. 1 | Doug Huebner 1 | droz 1 | Eddie Watkins 4 | Jack D 1 | Jim Warrell 1 | Jim Youtz 1 | Ken Schwartman 1 | Kenneth W Spriggs 2 | Kevin K 1 | MichaelSnyder 1 | Mike S. 2 | Philip 1 | Rob Munach 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
videorov

Belarus - Belarus 250AS Tractor axle replacement
Belarus 250AS Tractor axle replacement

Unanswered Questions

Belarus 825 - needs a new clut
Drain Cock
Need more hydraulic flow for s
HINOMOTO HB 501
Belarus 420A - Problems bleed

Active Subjects

460 Long hyd leak
460 axle
Key will not start engine
6x4 engine rebuild vsHarbor Fr
Things we say and what do they
The Plus and Minus of Ignoring
Looking to buy a New Pickup Tr
Need more hydraulic flow for s

Hot Topics

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch s
Duerr hp 678 Chipper replaceme
Gator 620i gas in engine oil
KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
Duerr hp 678 Chipper Manual
Adjusting 7308 Pressure Relief
Long 460 hydraulic problem

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won t start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor