Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 855 - 60 MMMower Vibration Problems

View my Photos
SmittyJD
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-04-30          162404

I have owned my 855 with 60" belly mower for the second year now. It has always had some noticable vibration when the belly mower PTO is engaged. The mower cuts straight and even. All shafts and spindles are greased, new blades so they are not bent. I recently noticed that when the mower is engaged and raised in the air the vibration is less but it makes the whole tractor swing back and forth. When the mower is lower to ground level the vibration kicks in? Any thoughts? I am thinking the PTO shaft is out of whack but is $300+ so a costly test. Any ideas? Thank you!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-30          162415

You could see if it's there when you remove the blades. If so, see if it's there when you disconnect the mower. If not, look to the mower; if so, look to the shaft. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-30          162416

You have something bent or out of balance, that's the only thing that can cause it.

You say they are new blades and not bent, but did you check them for balance? I've gotten brand new blades that were way off the odd time, but not very often. I suspect a reject makes it into the wrong bin every now and then in the factory.

Also, check the PTO shafts with a known straight edge, a 2' builders bubble level works well.

Finally, check that the blades are not in perfect alignment, I've seen mowers shake for no reason other than all 3 blades were lined up exactly, instead of the ideal of 120° offset to each other.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
SmittyJD

2009-04-30          162417

Thanks for the reply... Good idea trying it with the blades removed. Since they are new blades and that did not change anything I could deduce it was a spindle, the belt, or the shaft.

I could disconnect the belt and try to run the PTO to see if the shaft was creating it.

Will replace the belt to test that, relatively cheap and good to have a replacement.

How could I test the spindles individually? None of them feel like there are bearings missing, etc. I also measured the distance on both ends of each blade to the edge of the deck to get a reference and it appears as though no spindles are bent.

View my Photos
Murf

2009-04-30          162421

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJD | view 162417
How could I test the spindles individually?

Lift the mower as high as you can and park the tractor on a concrete floor with the engine off.

Next take tape measure and set it on the floor with the tape extended up (and locked) to the very tip of a mower blade. Now by hand spin the blade 180° to the other end, if something is off the other side will either be higher or lower than the first side. Repeat on all three blades.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
SmittyJD

2009-04-30          162425

Thanks a lot Murf and auerbach. Super HELP! Have a good one ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-04-30          162437

Have you grabbed hold of the pto shaft and tried to see if it has any loose motion in it (of course with tractor off EW). No idea on this but asking..can a shop who balances drive shafts test a pto shaft for balance? There is probably such a shop in your area, ask big truck repair shop who makes or repairs drive shafts for them. ....

View my Photos
leejohn

2009-04-30          162439

Sounds like ujoints too me. ....

View my Photos
SmittyJD

2009-04-30          162445

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 162437
No idea on this but asking..can a shop who balances drive shafts test a pto shaft for balance?

I bought it from a guy who got it when he bought a house. I think I remember him mentioning the guy tried to have the shaft balanced. If I grab it there is about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of play. Is that normal or too much?

Thanks ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-05-01          162452

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJD | view 162445
If I grab it there is about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of play.Is that normal or too much?

That's a lot less than some of mine, and there's no shaking in them.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-05-01          162462

A PTO drive shaft out-of-phase will cause shaking too.

Dry, sticking U-joints may cause vibration too. And the steep the angles involved in the driveline the more they are asked to perform.

If possible pull the PTO shaft halves apart and turn them to the next position and reinstall and see what happens.

My CUT has a power top link which can allow some crazy angles. Especially on my power rake, if I turn it to one side it vibrates worse than the other. ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2009-05-02          162485

A quarter to half inch play sounds like a lot to me. Is it loose in the area where the shaft telescopes? If so, I have seen that much looseness cause alot of vibration. I realize the shaft is expensive. Do you know anyone with the same mower, that you could borrow a shaft to try? How about your dealer? Does he have a used machine in stock that he might let you borrow the shaft as a test? I am betting it will cure your problem. That shaft spins alot faster than a rear 540 rpm shaft. Looseness is more critical. ....

View my Photos
Hettric

2009-05-02          162486

This shaft/etc. has been listed for a very long time, maybe you can make a offer-----
http://cgi.ebay.com/60-Mower-Deck-Attatching-Parts-John-Deere-755-BM16947_W0QQitemZ260146280317QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3c91ed377d&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Good luck ....

View my Photos
SmittyJD

2009-05-03          162510

So this weekend I had sometime and I disconnect the belt from the pulley and engaged the PTO. Yikes was that thing shaking! So I would say for certain that the shaft is the problem as nothing else was hooked up and it was still going crazy. Oh, I see where someone spot welded two weights on one side of the shaft.

Thanks Hettric for the eBay link. The shaft for the 755 look slightly different but should so the trick!

Now if I could only figure out the issue...

JD 855 PTO fuse blowing various times during mowing

View my Photos
JD-855-in-WI

2009-05-05          162557

Same tractor, same mower, I have no play in driveshaft or U joints and no vibration. My shaft slip joint is rectangular, no chance to get it out of phase. Just remember the "U"s at the ends of the shaft always line up, if not you can get a vibration ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login