Go Bottom Go Bottom

Should I buy a John Deere 4105

View my Photos
BSranch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-10-11          157172

I would appreciate any opinions on the John Deere 4105. I have had a Ford 9N for years - it is fun but I need more power, reliability - and safety. The 4105 seems like it is a fairly straight tractor with few options. I doesn't have cruise or tilt. Does anyone have any comments to share or advice to give? I have 17 acres to cut, plow snow, till a large garden, and haul wood. Is this a good pick for me?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-11          157173

You list four tasks. For the last three, a variety of machines would do, but 17 is a bit of acreage for a compact, so I'd wonder what kind of land and what you mean by cutting it. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-11          157174

I have no experience with the 4105 but the specs look good. It seems like a powerful and simple machine and you can't go wrong with a Yanmar powerplant. Auerbach is right, if you need to mow the entire 17 acres it would take awhile, otherwise it seems the machine would fit your needs well.

But in Wisconsin wouldn't you want a cab while clearing snow? ....

View my Photos
BSranch

2008-10-11          157175

thanks you guys - I cut down about 10-11 acres once a year with a woods rotary cutter. I have been doing that with a 9N - which hasn't been easy. I love slow - and winter. I spent lots of time riding an old W4 McCormick as a kid in the cold and I just can't see myself with a cab. I like to be out there in it. Maybe I need my head examined. I think the 4105 is a good fit. It is a larger sized structure for a compact and the price point is about right for me. Any other opinions or thoughts would be appreciated. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-10-11          157176

Bsranch,

You'll truly enjoy the newer tractor. I once had a Ford like yours. The many improvements with the newer machines are too many to list here.

The old Ford 8N was a real workhorse, but running one was also a lot of work. The newer machines make work a joy, rather than a chore.

The John Deere 4105 has a Yanmar powerplant.....one of the most reliable engines in the world. Yanmar has an excellent reputation in the diesel engine market, as millions of pieces of industrial equipment, the world over, are powered by Yanmar.

When maintaining 17 acres, a tractor in the 40 horsepower range is about the minimum size you'd need. I wouldn't go any smaller than the 4105. I think the 4105 would suit your needs just fine.

Like you, I enjoy the snow and the cold weather. I don't have a cab on my Kubota, but I'm out on that thing many days, except when it's below about -30F. I don't like starting ANY engine when the temps are that cold.....but I don't mind going hunting on foot in even those temps.

Enjoy your new machine.

Joel ....

View my Photos
BSranch

2008-10-11          157188

Hi Joel,

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom. I plan to keep my old ford for fun and let the new JD do the work around here. You and I might be a couple of those strange guys who actually think the cold and the snow are fun to be in. Thanks for the words of wisdom - I'm going to go ahead with the tractor and give the ole 9N a break. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-10-12          157194

SBranch; I'd have to go look at it for sure, but one of my neighbors bought a 4XXX series this summer with a loader, box blade, etc to care for 40some acres of pasture clipping etc. I think it is the 41, or maybe yher next size up. He really is happy with it, he too had a couple older Fords that were the next series newer than the 8N's but he traded his in. I do think Joel is mistaken on the engine tho, the new 4XXX series has the Dubuque Deere engine. My old sereies 4XXX has the Yanmar. Just returned form SW Wisconsin with our supply of Cheese and Gay's Mills apples. Frank. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-10-12          157198

Frank,

Unless the John Deere website is outdated, the spec sheet on the 4105 shows that the engine is a Yanmar TNV.

Yanmar 3-cylinder TNV Series diesel engine. Tier II. 40.5 HP

See the link below. (I hope it works.)

Joel ....

Link:   John Deere 4105

View my Photos
BSranch

2008-10-12          157212

thanks again you guys. It is the Yanmar engine - 40.5 hp. I appreciate your feedback. Wally. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-10-12          157213

Sorry for the confusion but the Deere website I looked at this morning listed a four cylinder Dubuque engine as being used in the four thousand series. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-10-12          157214

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 157213
Sorry for the confusion but the Deere website I looked at this morning listed a four cylinder Dubuque engine as being used in the four thousand series. Frank.

Yeah, Deere's model numbering is poor. The 4105 does say Yanmar and it doesn't show up when you search the 4000 series, at least for residential. Their web site drives me nuts, too. It doesn't make sense that they force you to choose a category (commercial, farm, residential, golf, etc.) when those categories can be quite arbitrary. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-10-13          157219

To make matters even more confusing, not so long ago Deere made a 4100, a 4110 and a 4115.

You would think the 4105 would fit right in this series, but they were all 20-24 horse compacts. ....

View my Photos
Popeye

2009-07-27          164407

My Mother-in-Law has a 280 acre farm that she rents out all but 13 acres of. Recently I have been helping her clean up the 13 acres and have been looking into the JD 4105 as a tractor to use. It seems to be the right size for the amount she has to mow and the loader and box scrapper would fit as well.

My question to you is this: She has a 1/2 acre 30 degree bank that needs to be mowed about 3-4 times a year. Will the 4105 w/ the 6' rotary cutter do this type of work safely or is some other type of mower needed? I thought maybe I could back-up the bank w/ the cutter so I wouldn't need to worry about tipping over but I don't have enough experience doing this type of work to make the call. Thoughts? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-07-27          164424

Sure don't have a tilt meter but you should be fine. We cut my MIL yard with ZTR mower, 27 HP CUT both seem to handle a slope that has to be near 30 degrees. I have used the CUT with a 5 foot rough cut mower to back down a slope I am sure is 30 degree to cut the mouth of our pond with no issue, just moving slow and steady and with mower wheel on the ground. It may be safe but only back down and drive up, no driving across the slope. Funny at the top the slope away from the water feels ok, near the water no way. :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login