Go Bottom Go Bottom

DEERE 2520 HOW MUCH POWER

View my Photos
nosteiner4me
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-17          150288

OK..... for all of you tractornaires....How much power should my new deere 2520 with 26.5hp with a loader on and a 72" mid mower on and with full ballast box full of rock be able to push in high gear, 4wd off,
Mine seems to be weak....if i put a split pc of firewood in front of the front wheel, and try to move forward in high it just really wines and doesn't want to move.
When i was using it to clear some snow, the front tires went off the concrete drive about a 2-3 inch drop to the grass, could not back the tractor up in high, it just wined, and had to put it in low to go backwards.
Should this tractor have more power in high? I have not had any issues mowing in high gear? It has 12 hours on it so far.....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-17          150301

Near as I can tell, my 4115 is identical to your 2520 except that I have 24 HP not 26.

Even after your tractor is broken-in and makes more power, it will run just about like you described.

High gear used to be called "transport" gear. It is intended to get a loaded tractor from point A to point B as quickly as possible, it is not intended to do heavy work.

I have very little experience mowing, but mowing faster than 5 or 6 MPH (top speed in low range) does not sound very efficient.

The only circumstance where I can use high range for any length of time is when I "road" my tractor across town on asphalt roads.

Trying to drive on any other type of road at 11-12 MPH would have a tendency to pitch me off the tractor if I were not wearing a seatbelt.

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2008-01-17          150319

DR....Ok machine is fairly heavy to start off in say 3rd gear just like a car under some kinda load. I just wanted to make sure nothing wrong with HST for the future. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-01-17          150326

Naw..... just put it in low whenever it starts to grunt.

What you are describing is perfectly normal for the two HST equipped tractors that have come through my hands.

One thing that Kubota does with our class of tractor that I really like is to give it three ranges: Two for work and one for transport.

Still want to hear from folks who mow......Anybody do it in high range at 10-12 mph? ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-17          150327

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRankin | view 150326
.....Still want to hear from folks who mow......Anybody do it in high range at 10-12 mph?

My Kubota B7610 is a two range HST, the low range is for powering into a pile with the loader on. High range is for mowing. I have used a Kubota B21 TLB 3 range also, if that had a mower on it I would use mid range for mowing. I used high on the B21 with the loader on when I was driving loads of dirt on the driveway (loader empty .. transport use only).

The three range is nice, but for me the two range is just fine. When you go too fast even on pavement you bounce too much if you are going max speed, no suspension on these things ;)

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-01-17          150330

NoSteiner, I don't know much about the new model Deeres. Does the 2520 offer the LoadMatch feature? If you might switch it on and try your test scenario again. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-01-17          150332

Nosteiner; You likely arent going to hurt anything (for a while) the newer hydros are pretty bulletproof, BUT. Trying to do everything in high range puts a tremendous amount of pressure on everything in ther hydro system to the point of bypass. Kinda compare it to you trying to roll a big rock up a hill to you rolling the same big rock downhill. Put it in low range and your tractor and checkbook will thank you someday down the road. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-18          150370

I've got a couple of new Ferris Mowers (34hp Cat diesels with 4 wheel suspension) that cut quite nicely at 12 mph.

I sure wouldn't want to try it with a CUT though. :(

DRankin is right, as usual, put it in low unless you are just driving around. I rarely use low range on my 'boat unless I'm doing some real grunt work, and high is strictly for trucking around the neighbourhood (which I do a lot of) so the machine usually spends it's time quite happily in mid-range doing an assortment of tasks.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2008-01-18          150380

Thanks for the great responses....My main purpose for this machine is mowing with the 72"mid mower but do burn wood 24/7 in the winter and use the loader alot. I was always using the high and only used low couple times. I see the advantage of the low and the limits of the high now.
As far as mowing...I have always been a fast mower and do mow with this thing in high at what i think is about 10mph on average on the straightaways. I have fairly level ground and do not bounce around much and feel very comfortable at that speed but cannot cut it full speed though. The machine feels well balanced and not tippy at all even though it does sit high. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login