Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 2320 - What attachment makes garden like rows

View my Photos
johnrmeyer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-06          140252

Any suggest on what JD attachment would be best for making rows in a garden? Trying to avoid using a hoe. Thank you very much.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-07          140258

Johnmeyer: Do you want an attachment the just makes the rows, or also plants the seed in rows? There are all kinds of ideas from simple home made to something your dealer can sell you. perhaps othere on the board will have experience with equipment they have either made or purchased. Have a great day. Frank. ....

View my Photos
johnrmeyer

2007-03-07          140261

Thank you, Hardwood. I'm looking for an attachment that would just make the rows. My kids will be the attachment for actually planting the seeds :-) ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-07          140267

John, the simplest way to do it is with a couple of disc's from your local Ag. dealer bolted to a 3pth tool-bar, drawbar or fabricated frame and spaced such that it sweeps the soil out of what will be the 'valleys' and deposits it up into (and forms) the 'hills'.

If you don't have the ability or facilites to make something up yourself, you can buy a small 3pth disc set from some place like Northern Tool and get a small set of disc's and just remove the uneeded disc's, this however is a more costly approach.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-07          140274

For planting a garden, I use a homemade device that looks basically like a "T"-frame. I manually pull it through the garden. It is constructed of 1 1/4" schedule 40 pipe. Another T is welded on the long leg (about 4-5 foot long) of the T frame to form a handle that is about a foot wide (1" schedule 40). On the upper cross bar of the "T" on one side a smaller pipe fits inside another (1" schedule 40). Several holes and a cross bolt go thru this. At the ends of this cross bar another pipe goes downward about a foot and on each end is a small cultivator shovel about 2 1/2" wide. With each pull as you manually drag it through the garden you get 2 scratches. I get the first row straight. Then by going over one of the original scratches, you get a single parallel row with each pass. Using the telescopic style frame allows you versatility in planting, like 26", 36" or 48" row spacings. I vary the width depending upon the spread of the bush. Onions usually 26", corn 36", squash, pickles & melons, etc. 48" or more.

Remember when planting, you do not want to plant your seeds too deep! To cover them back up, I use the back side of a heavy duty landscraping rake to lightly cover them without packing.

If you are planting potatoes, they will need to be deeper. You can purchase a single point subsoiler from TSC or any farm retail store outlet for under $100.00. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login