Go Bottom Go Bottom

buying a used 4310 things to look out for

View my Photos
Nuruadv
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-04          140183

All, I am buying a used 2003 4310 with under 100 hours. It is definitely out of Warranty. It is coming with a 72"MMM deck, and I have seen some rust in spots on the deck and the 3PT - seems like snow plowing and salt effects.

Can all the experience 4310 owners out here tell me some of the things I should review/look for prior to accepting delivery?

Regards and Thanks ahead of time!

Nuru

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-04          140184

Check under and around the battery in the front of the radiator for corrosion. The stock battery can outgas and the fumes can be drawn into the oil cooler and radiator and cause corrosion. Make sure the pto clutch works smoothly. The tilt wheel on these is sort of cheesy so if it doesn't work that may give you bargaining power to get a slightly better price. Other than that, just check maintenance records and make sure everything works without any unexpected noises. You need to exercise due diligence to make sure the tractor wasn't stolen. ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-03-04          140186

kwschumm Thanks, I did have it checked out (via its serial number), by my local dealer. I am buying unit from a large dealer in an neighboring state. i would have went local but this price is very good. As I understand it, the guy who orignally bought this unit, had a place of 1 acre and finally figured the unit was too big (or finished the big stuff and traded to a smaller unit). Definitely will check the PTO out, and the tranny for noise. I am thinking of taking the trip (2 1/2 hours) to make a final look see or just doing that when they deliver and pick-up mine. I can check it out at either place. If I go, and don't like, i won't get a small delivery charge, if I wait, I will get that charge.

Hey all , anymore tips! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-05          140202

Nuruady; KW pretty much covered anything I can think of. I've checked the battery in mine several times and haven't had any corrosion problrms like some have experienced. Yes the tilt wheel latch is kind of a Mickey Mouse afair, but no big deal if it don't work, you seldom change it anyway. A few specks in the paint on the deck and three point are easily fixed with a little sandpaper and a can of spray paint. You are buying used for a reason, to save money, so just like buying a used car, you assume some risk to save money. Other than the rinky tink tilt mwheel latch I am real happy with mine. Best of luck. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-03-05          140208

Thanks Frank! Yeah, I figure i could hit the rust with a wire brush, sandpaper, and soem fo the rust stoppage goop, and then use spray paint on the surface. That should get the visual issues gone. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-05          140209

Ken and Frank pretty much covered things. One other item you may want to check out are the bronze half moon bushings on the MMM lift pivot shaft. Sometimes (as in my 4410, they install the bushing blocks and hence the bronze bushings backwards) If this is the case it can be easily fixed by reinstalling the bushing blocks in the correct orientation and properly installing the bushings if that are not cracked or damaged. Chance are, if this was done on your tractor as was with mine, the bushings fell out altogether. I had to repeated check for the bushings falling out. If they fell out and went unnoticed, the pivot shaft and bushing blocks which are both steel with rub and cause wear damage to the pivot shaft and bushing blocks. The broze bushing retention ears should be on the inside side of the bushing blocks NOT the outside as was the case with mine.

If the tractor has a block heater, you may want to check it out to ensure it works. Mine burned out after about 5 hours of use.

Check the forward and reverse pedal potentiometer boxs for dirt and piled up debry. You can blow it out with compressed air.

Be sure to check that the throttle lever holds its position and does not slip. It can be adjusted but is somewhat a pain in the butt.

Good luck and I am sure you will be VERY happy and satisfied with the 4310; it is a fine machine. ....

View my Photos
Nuruadv

2007-03-05          140219

Thanks Chief, those are some good tips.

Nuru ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This