Go Bottom Go Bottom

HELP Mounting 359 Snowblower on 430 Loader

View my Photos
cj2002b
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-15          119349

Need some help from the real modification experts.

During the winter months, I can't drive to my barn (1/2 mi up a mountain of snow). I keep my 4400 garaged at my house, and use the loader for work at the bottom. This year I want to add a 359 snowblower to clear the driveway we finally had paved, but don't want to loose the use of the loader for 4 months. There's no room to store the unattached loader at the bottom. What I want to do is attach the snowblower to the loader, and either extend the PTO to the front, or convert the snowblower to hyd. If I went with the PTO option, I would have to do something to limit the lift, so I didn't pinch the shaft when I raised the blower. The hyd option might be better.

Can I get some input from you guys on this. Thumbs-ups or thumbs-down on the overall idea, thoughts, etc.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-15          119353

Well, let's see now ...(If this gets a bit wordy forgive me).

There are two ways to do it, you are on the right track, the choise is almost even as far as effort & cost if you are handy and can fabricate yourself, or have access to someone who can do it for you.

First is PTO drive. Make a long ladder-like frame using the crossbars to support pillow block bearings to support the driveshaft. The lift is accomplished by replacing the bucket with the blower. Don't try to bucket mount on a small machine, it is too much weight too far out. The back end of the frame is supported by the drawbar socket, leaving the lift arms free for ballast, you will need lots of it. The drive is accomplished by running two heavy shafts through a piece of (capped) rectangular tubing, partially filled with gear oil, and a couple of gears (one per shaft) connected by some very heavy roller chain. This method requires the most skilled and technical fabricating.

The second method is the self-propelled blower. Either by means of a hydraulic drive (expensive and LOTS of delicate fabricating required) or by belt driving it off a gas engine. The last option is the easiest, and likely the cheapest way to do it. With a blower that size a 20-24hp engine will chew through almost anything within reason. A conventional small gas engine will run (under load) at about 3,600 rpm, if you use pulley size reductions to drop that down by 6:1 you will be driving the blower at about 600 rpm, just about the exact design speed for it.

So, now you have the basics, probably enough to think about and possible enough to make a decision from.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-15          119359

Why not get a rear 3 PH blower. Sounds like you want to switch from loader to blower quickly, maybe Murf can answer how easy it would be to switch from one to the other. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-11-15          119368

Whoops, hang on a minute.....

Is the 359 blower a FRONT blower?

I don't know the Deere stuff very well and just assumed (i know, I know) that it was a 'regular' blower.

If it is a front-mount, that changes things, LOTS of things.

Dennis is right, use a 'regular' 3pth mounted unit, mounted out front, it's cheaper and in the long run, easier.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
cj2002b

2005-11-15          119403

Thanks guys,

I was thinking of using the front mount 359 blower for a couple of reasons...
1 - Seems like a good, reliable, readily available blower.
2 - if I used the front facing mid pto to power it, the pto/blower speed are already set, and at least some of the driveshafts could be stock deere.
3- the mounting brackets look easy to modify - I wanted something as short as possible to keep it close to the loader (murf's counterweight issue - I have loaded turfs & a 500# lead block on the back)

I'll have to see what I can find. I certainly need something that mounts on the front. My driveway is 600' long, with a 17% grade at one point. Backing a tractor around on that in snow won't work for me. As a matter of fact, I had my paving guys here today doing the final grading before we pave on Friday, and I think they're a little wary of it.

Could a get a pto mount Hyd pump and power a bobcat style hyd blower?

View my Photos
Murf

2005-11-16          119408

"Could a get a pto mount Hyd pump and power a bobcat style hyd blower?"

Absolutely, but a PTO pump is a stand-alone system, which means you then need a stand-alone reservoir, for a system of that size, 20 gal. minimum.

Now you have a problem, 20 gal. of hyd. fluid only weighs about 200 pounds, plus a little more for the reservoir itself, but far from your 500 pound counter balance, and the only place you can mount a 20 gallon tank is on the 3pth.

But it would certainly work.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
cj2002b

2005-11-17          119447

You've been a huge help. All the things that I didn't begin to consider.

I'll let you know what I come up with. ....

View my Photos
Deere755

2007-01-29          139296

I have a JD 755 with loader and snowblower. I have used both at the same time. No need to remove the loader. Raise the loader, attach the snowblower to it's frame mount but don't use the hydraulic lift of the snowblower. Instead use a chain from the loader to the snowblower and raise/lower the snowblower using the loader. Unhook and pin the bucket so it won't move and use the bucket hydraulics to run the snowblower shot rotator. Worked great for me, only issue was the height of the raised loader when snowblowing close to buildings. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login