Go Bottom Go Bottom

Possible Solution To The 4000 Ten Series Battery Corrosion Problem

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-04          117361

I checked my battery compartment last night and inspite of my best efforts of soaking EVERYTHING in heavy baking soda solution, modifying the battery caps with the one piece cap and vent tube, and coating EVERYTHING with a GENEROUS coating of corrosion preservative spray after carefully cleaning and repainting everything in the battery compartment that needed it; my transmission oil cooler radiator and battery hold down hardware, as well as positive battery cable terminal were HEAVILY corroded; especially the trans. oil cooler radiator. What a poor design! And man was I PO'd!!!! I decided I was going to find a sealed AGM type battery that fit or make one fit! I had a VERY informative talk with Larry at Batterystuff dot com. and below is the battery that he located for me and is shipping me for $139 including shipping. I will follow up with a post as to how this battery fits as well as its performance. With 600 cold cranking amps; it should be more than adequate to start my 4410 and FINALLY do away with the corrosion caused by the inevitable release of hydrogen sulfide into the battery compartment and radiator area.

Link:   SVR 50-12 Sealed AGM Battery

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-04          117373

Wow. I would have thought for sure that the vent cap with tube would fix that. I'll have to check out my 4310 to see if it's doing the same thing. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-04          117375

You would be VERY wise to do so. I am surprised that my trans. oil cooler radiator is not leaking oil. The corrosion was pretty bad. I will eventually have to replace it because of the corrosion as once the acid starts eating it; the corrosion and deterioration is nearly impossible to stop. My hopes are that the heavy baking soda solution I applied will neutralize that acid corrosion. I think what made the corrosion so much worse was the very humid summer air. It does not take much hydrogen sulfide to cause a problem if water vapor is available. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2005-10-04          117376

I'm surprised you even took that risk of letting a standard battery stay put
I had a terminal that was corroding and the hold down bars, that was more than enough for me to get an Optima (51 series) -

Duc ....

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-04          117378

I did the same treatment to my 4300 but still have the junk battery in. I had searched but found nothing that would fit yet although 1 company assured me they had a sealed one coming in that size. My Amish neighbor is a sort of battery store for the Amish and he gets me any normal batteries for about half price. He just gave me a deep cycle that matched the 4300 battery dimensions exactly, just does not have the same mount lugs or terminals. I do not know yet if it will crank enough but free and sealed are both nice words. If it does not work I will see about the one you found. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-04          117384

Joe, I have wanted to change to a sealed battery since day one. The 421,4310, and 4410 take a BCI Group 22NF battery which has the terminal polarity reversed and a funky size battery. The Optima 51R was just the right size but does not come with the battery hold down lugs on the bottom battery wall sides. Makes for a difficult modification to make a battery hold down work in that space. If the picture and specs I have interpreted correctly; this battery will hopefully fit just right and have an extra 100 cold cranking amps over the OEM battery as well as being sealed. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-05          117410

The 22NF is an odd size as the plates are smaller than the standard 6". The battery you found may be the only sealed unit sold. The price reflects the rarity. I checked the Deka guide as they make a large selection of AGM and gell batteries.
One option would be to go to a low gassing Ca based battery. The discription is in the Deka guide.
If it is any consilation the JD 750 and JD 955 have the same problem. Placing the battery over the front axel and next to the hot radiator is not a good idea for a battery. ....

Link:   Deka

View my Photos
Ducati996

2005-10-05          117441

I figured there was a reason why you couldnt do it -

I'm glad you are now able to do so, and the damage is repairable...what a nightmare waiting to happen

Duc ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2005-10-08          117548

I wonder why this is considered only a JD problem (or is it?) when MANY tractors even older ones have a similar setup. Is there some difference?

For example at work we have two early 90's Ford (1720+1920) and each have well over 5000 hours and regular old vented batteries with no special precautions and they sit right in front of radiator...no problems.

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-08          117550

My speculation would be that in the 4000 Ten series tractors; the battery is mounted directly up against and in contact with the transmission oil cooler radiator. The engine radiator is directly behind the oil cooler. The radiator fan draw a large volume of air through this area and the hydrogen sulfide gets draw directly into the oil cooler while still in a vapor state and condenses on the oil cooler surface. If the battery was located just a bit further away from the radiator area or down below is out of the air stream being drawn into the radiator; I think the problem would be greatly lessened if not eliminated. Any way you cut it; a very poorly thought out design on John Deere's part in my opinion. I think they could have at least applied a technical service bulletin that encased the battery in a vapor proof box or better yet, installed sealed batteries and replaced any damaged oil coolers or battery compartment components for customers with this issue. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-08          117552

Just a heads up for anyone considering ordering the battery I posted a link to above. The battery came in late yesterday and is the correct size dimensionally but for some odd reason did not have the hold down lugs on the sides of the battery as shown in the picture. I am working with the owner of Battery Stuff dot come work exchange this battery for one with the lugs. When I get it in and install it; I will post some feedback. In the mean time, I would suggest holdig off ordering this battery until they figure out what the problem is and ensure the batteries shipped have the hold down lugs. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-10          117672

Randy, I checked the battery compartment on my 4310 this morning and there isn't the slightest trace of corrosion or moisture. The dust on top of the battery and around the cap is as dry as a bone. Are you sure your machine isn't overcharging? Maybe the vented battery cap I have fits better than the one you are using. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-10-10          117697

Looks like that will be a good battery for your cause as it is suitable for in cab mounting for car audio. If cost is not an issue I would look at gel cell batteries. half the size with just as much power and can be mounted in any position. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-10          117700

Randy; You know me the SD. Attached is battery with a little more CCA's and a slimmer profile. There is a hold down case for it also. This would provide you with some clearance between the battery and the cooler. They say it is compatible with the 22NF. ....

Link:   Westcoast batteries

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-10          117701

Peters, thanks for the link. I will look into this. In the mean time, I am working on exchanging or returning the battery I currently have. If I can exchange this battery for a version that has the hold down lugs as shown in the link picture; it will be a perfect fit and match. ....

View my Photos
schlich 92

2005-10-17          118008

I am having a similar problem, I am anxious to hear how you resolve. The above battery looks to have to be mounted flat, not sure there is enough room. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-17          118015

They are showing it as a flat mount as they use them for sterios etc. and the more difficult way to mount. If you look at the mount page they show in both vertical and horizontal. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-17          118016

I checked back with MK who is the manufacturer of this battery and they tell me that the picture of the battery shown is out of date and incorrect. These batteries DO NOT come with the hold down lugs on the sides as shown in the picture. I am going to see if I can get a steel hold down bracket fabricated that I can put across the battery top and runs down the sides about an inch or two short of the OEM battery hold down nut plates. Hopefully this will allow me to use the OEM bolts and nut plates to secure the battery in place. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-10-17          118019

Because of this thread I also checked my battery and oil cooler location. I saw two 1 inch square areas that were white on the oil cooler but no corrosion yet. I blew the white off with compressed air and hosed it off with water. After 400 hours I don't see much, if any, damage due to the battery. I wonder if there are certain environmental conditions here that make a difference. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-17          118021

Perhaps one reason I have had more corrosion problems may be that I live and use my tractor in a fairly hot climate during the summer. Most times I am using it, the temps were over 90 degrees. The combination of the heat and hot oil in the oil cooler may have caused the battery to outgas more than normal.

If you had any corrosion on your oil cooler, I strongly recommend that you treat this area with a heavy baking soda solution. I used a tooth brush to scrub the baking soda solution in good until I got no more fizzing. I then sprayed baking soda solution over all of the components in the battery compartment to prevent any further corrosion. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-17          118022

Randy;
The hold down at the bottom, PC680, of the link I sent allows you to mount in any direction. Is there nothing to mount it to on the 4010s? I know I could mount to the front of the compartment on the 955. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-17          118025

No, there is very little room and the only mounting option is securing the battery to the floor panel in the compartment with the OEM nut plates. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-17          118027

With an OEM battery I presume. Nice touch Deere, must be learning bad tricks from Honda. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-17          118041

It's a standard 22NF battery. Cars have used that size too. Unfortunately it's not popular enough to warrant an AGM battery manufacturer to tool up for 'em. I wrote Deere a year ago asking them to get Optima to make a 22NF battery for their use. They acted interested in the problem at the time but nothing has come from it. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-17          118045

The 22NF is a standard BCI battery size but rare even in the normal range. It has plates that are less than 6" wide. They are a special run on any battery line. Let me do a little more hunting I thought maybe we had a solution with the even smaller AGM battery with carrying block.
Maybe I will give a call to East Penn. I know they have the 22NF cases and their AGM and gell lines are rather flexible. I know a couple of friends there are antique tractor restorers. We should have a more friendly ear than Optima. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-24          118353

The battery is installed now. A friend fabricated a battery hold down strap out of 1" wide x 1/8" thick strap iron. The strap basically run from about 3" from the bottom sides of the battery across the top and is heavily wrapped in "100 mph tape" to prevent the iron strap from shorting out the battery. I am going to add a piece of radiator hose or similar hose which has been split down the middle as added insurance. The iron strap has tabs or "ears" that are belt at right angle so the strap portion running down the sides of the battery and the tabs are drilled out and slightly elongated to allow the OEM battery hold down bolt to be utilized. I will get some pics posted and post a follow up to let everyone who is interested know how this mod works out. The battery starts the engine a bit easier than the OEM battery but after nearly 4 years, I think the Strong Box OEM battery is getting tired. Hopefully this will eliminate the outgassing & corrosion problem for good! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-24          118381

Randy, I've lost track. Which battery did you end up going with? I'm really surprised that the vented cap didn't work for you. Maybe yours didn't seal as well as mine. At this point I'm not looking for a solution but when my JD battery dies it will be replaced with an AGM. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-24          118384

Ken, this is the battery I used. It fit like a champ. How well the hold down strap works remains to be seen but I think it will work out well. ....

Link:   SVR 50-12 Sealed AGM Battery

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-29          118609

Yet another update. To address any potential loosening of the hold down strap bolts; I am installing Ny-loc nuts or lock nuts on the bolts by threading the lock nuts down on the bolt thread portion extending out of the nut plats in the battery deck panel. This should prevent any possibility of the bolts loosening and seems to be a straight forward and reliable fix. ....

View my Photos
paulss

2005-10-29          118633

Randy, could you post a picture of your mounting strap so I could duplicate? I checked my 4200 today and have a little corrosion and some rust on the battery tray and I think the battery is original (2000) so it's time to change it. Also, did you consider a magnum tie wrap run over the battery top and through the bolt holes? Just a thought. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-29          118640

Never heard of a magnum tie wrap. Is that nylon? I wouldn't use nylon tie wraps for batteries. We built a robot and used pretty hefty nylon tie wraps to strap the lead acid batteries in. The first time the robot got hit the tie wraps broke and the batteries went flying. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-30          118669

Paul, will do my best to get a picture of it and post it ASAP. I ran it yesterday for about 2 1/2 hours and all seemed to go well. ....

View my Photos
paulss

2005-10-31          118711

By "magnum" I meant a big ol' tie wrap. I've seen some that are 3 feet long and 1/2 inch thick with a tensile strength of 250 pounds or more. If you ran one through the existing bolt holes and ran another one through a drilled hole on each side of the battery I don't think it would be affected by battery acid and would hold just about anything securely.

Just a thought. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-31          118712

Paul,

I just uploaded pictures #9 & #17 that show the pictures of the new AGM battery installated with the fabricated hold down strap and the lock nuts holding the hold down bolts. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-31          118713

By the way, the white crusty looking residue is not corrosion. It is the heavy baking soda solution I washed the battery compartment and oil cooler radiatior down with to kill all of the battery acid fume corrosion. I will wash it down later. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-31          118718

That looks like it should work Randy. Good luck with it, and thanks for the pointer. When my Strongbox battery dies I'll probably do the same thing as a preventative measure. ....

View my Photos
TreeFarmer

2005-11-01          118744

Another victim of the dreaded acid death of my oil cooler.

Started leaking last week, I tore it down and found the leak. Right side directly behind the battery. Tried the epoxy patch. Nope...

So off to the JD parts man. 160 bucks later along with a gallon of Hy guard.

Sometimes I think these engineers are also employed at Ford. Man do they lay some stuff out in the stupidest ways.

View my Photos
jdgreg

2005-11-07          119038

Not sure if this will help anyone, but my 4210 (bought used about 2 mths ago) has a Travellers 22NF battery (390CCA I believe). It has the holddown lugs on the bottom, and has apparently worked well for some time now. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-12-03          120335

Well it finally happened. My strongbox from 2001 finally STB. It was about to start and then nothing. we tested it and it only had 7 cranking amps. charger says bad cell or something. Now my tractor is looking like a killer bee, no lights, no grill and 2 rubber straps holding in a battery that does not fit. It is an old lawnmower battery from a John Deere 400 I parted out on ebay and the only one I could find in a pinch with the terminals on the right sides. So is there a consensus on just the right replacement or has it still not been created. The one on the link chief posted looks right, but does it really exist or just the one he settled for. I had hoped my luck would last until one was available as a bolt in. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-12-03          120347

The battery exhists but it is no longer manufactured with the side lug hold downs. The battery is a good fit and has much more starting power. You will just have to fabricate a hold down bracket. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-04-25          128261

My original battery on my 4310 failed a couple of days ago. I purchased the tractor March, 2002. I went to the JD Dealer and they sold me an Interstate heavy duty workaholic battery, SP-22NF, 390CCA, 490CA. $80. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-04-25          128322

Is that interstate battery sealed? Or does it have vent caps? ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-04-26          128383

Ken, I believe it is probably NOT a sealed battery. It is maintenance free - but does have 2 caps across the cells that could be removed but are not meant to be removed (they are not screw caps). The the guy at the JD dealer told me it was sealed but I am not sure he knew what he was talking about. In any event - I have not had any problems with corrosion yet, I think that the climate here must have something to do with it. ....

View my Photos
sallydanger

2006-05-23          129731

I replaced mine with a Optima 34/78 marine battery. I have a winch and jumper cables that I run off of the studs. I removed the stock battery stop and welded a new stop back a little bit closer to the radiator. I used a piece of 1" angle iron across the top of the battery with 9" bolts to hold it down. Two years now with no corrosion or movement. Starts in all temps, -25 anyways. Runs the winch very well. Good thread. Thanks.
Edit: I have a sync-reverser tractor so I dont have a cooler, just a radiator. I had enough room to do this, With a cooler you may not. ....

View my Photos
majsmith

2006-06-02          130290

Has anyone tried the Stronbox ST battery ? It appears to be a spiral cell,gel cell ?

StrongBox™ Silver Technology (ST) batteries

John Deere is pleased to offer StrongBox ST batteries. They deliver the same superior features as other John Deere StrongBox batteries, plus:

· Patented silver technology alloy construction is field proven to resist corrosion and provide longer service life in high-heat operating conditions.

· Efficient radial pattern provides faster high-voltage starts.

· Full-perimeter frame rails provide increased durability and longer service life.

· Positive cast grid design with increased internal grid wire diameter improves corrosion resistance and increases durability.

· Large lug width and weight provide increased durability and longer service life.

I show a TY25877 as the replacement part for the original, and am wondering if this new battery would be a better replacement instead of trying to rig a different size battery.

View my Photos
Chief

2006-06-02          130293

Good find! That is a new battery line they did not have when I purchased my replacement battery. According to the Deere battery line chart, this battery is an exact fit. The question in my mind is whether is is a sealed battery? The Deere info. states it is a "maintenance free" battery. Surely it must be a BIG improvement over the previous Strong Box battery. I will do some research on this and see what I can find out. If this is indeed a sealed battery; then this should definitely fix the out gassing corrosion problem. Thanks for posting that info.! ....

Link:   John Deere Battery Line

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-02          130295

Wow, I hope that is the silver bullet for this problem. Maybe JD is listening. ....

View my Photos
krzyzek

2006-06-10          130721

Has anyone asked Deere for a solution? I have had three 4000 series tractors and all have had this problem. The Deere mechanic said that even the new tractors will have this problem. I think we as owners should expect them to resolve this apparent design problem. It seems it will never end!! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-10          130722

I spoke to someone at JD a few years ago about the serious need for an AGM battery for this model and she said they'd follow up on it. Haven't heard anything since. I must say that the remote venting cap has solved the problem on my 4310. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-06-10          130723

I have put about 75 hours of mowing and brush cutting on this battery and so far no evidence of corrosion and it starts the tractor with ease. All that was required was fabricating the battery hold down strap bracket.

My understand of the above Silver Technology Strong Box battery is that it is NOT a sealed battery and will still vent hydrogen sulfide into the radiator. NOT a desirable characteristic. ....

View my Photos
reason201

2006-06-14          130845

Not sure if this is a possibility or not but as I was going thru the Cabelas catalog I came across their battery section. They sell a group 22 AGM battery with the following dimensions...

Group 22, Cranking Amps 850, CCA 670, Reserve 95 Min, Weight 38.5 Lbs., (L"XW"XH") 9.37 X 5.5 X 9.25.

The write up on this battery is...

The next generation of lead-acid batteries, our revolutionary Advanced Anglers series uses a separator similar to fiberglass to hold the electrolyte in place. This physical bond between the separator fibers, the lead plates and the container completely eliminates leaks and makes these some of the most vibration- and impact-resistant marine batteries on the market. These completely maintenance-free 12-volt batteries also play double duty on the water, serving as either a cranking battery or a deep-cycle power source. In testing, this revolutionary design withstood over 400 drain/charge cycles, giving them a life span far surpassing conventional batteries. And they won't freeze, no matter what frigid conditions your boat endures during the off-season. Meets all EPA/OSHA marine requirements. FAA and DOT approved.

It is listed at $114.00 plus shipping. Just a thought if it will mount up.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-14          130851

These JD machines take a group 22NF, not group 22, which is what makes them hard to find. The 'F' indicates reversed terminals, which isn't so bad, but the 'N' indicates a narrower format than the group 22. It's really wedged in there. Group 22 and 24 were used in a bunch of cars, 22F and 24F in fewer, but 22NFs were hardly used in any. It's been 24 years since I sold batteries, so my memory might be a bit fuzzy, but I think this is all correct. ....

View my Photos
reason201

2006-06-14          130855

I went and looked up the dimensions for the 22NF and the Cabelas battery. The length and width are the same but the Cabelas battery is taller by 5/16 of an inch. Does the Deere take top or side post hook ups? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-14          130859

Top Post. According to a BCI battery chart a group 22F is 6 7/8 inches wide while the 22NF is 5 1/2 inches wide. The 22NF is 10/16 taller and they're both the same length. ....

View my Photos
reason201

2006-06-14          130863

I don't disagree with you on what the BCI Group Size Chart says. I can only go back to the fact that Cabelas Group 22 battery is 9.37 inches long, 5.5 inches wide and 9.25 inches tall. Based on that, the Cabelas battery is just a hair shorter in length, the same size in width and 5/16 inch taller than the Group 22NF. It would fit in the space for a group 22NF battery as long as there is enough height clearance. Cabelas does not catagorize their battery as a 22NF or a 22F, they simply refer to it as a group 22.

It just might work. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-14          130871

Thanks, reason, maybe they rolled their own. Anyone live near a Cabela's retail store? It would be great if someone could stop by and verify measurement without paying shipping on a heavy battery. This battery doesn't seem to be in their online store yet. ....

View my Photos
reason201

2006-06-15          130892

kwschumm,

Go to the Cabelas home page, go to the Boating Section. Under Batteries and Chargers choose Marine Deep Cycle Batteries. Then choose Cabela's Advanced Angler AGM 22 Batteries and Power Packages. From there, choose Cabela's Advanced Angler AGM Batteries. The Group 22 is the first one on the list.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-15          130893

AHa, there it is. I did a search for "marine battery" and it didn't come up. It looks like it has the right proportions. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2006-10-09          135807

Well it is going on a year and my old free JD 400 lawn tractor battery is still going strong in the 4300. I am just getting tired of no headlights since the grill will not fit on. Is there any new consensus on the latest and greatest that will fit and connect with no modifications. I have the extra cash now and the days are getting shore. I really need the lights. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-10-09          135809

Consensus? Ha ha, we don't need no stinking consensus! If I needed a new battery right now I'd check the CCA of Cabela's that reason201 posted about above, and if close to original I'd go for it. ....

View my Photos
acerguy

2006-10-24          136276

CCA is 670 on the Cabela's battery. Anyone know offhand what the CCA of the stock battery is? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-10-24          136277

Chief posted a link to the JD battery line earlier in this thread. It seems that 500 CCA is about the max that the stock JD 22NF battery can deliver. ....

View my Photos
acerguy

2006-10-26          136319

Sorry, it has been a while since I read through the entire thread! Lazy me! Amazingly, I don't seem to have this problem on my 4110 (about 4 years old and 680 hours) but this seems like a possible solution if I ever do. :-) ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-10-26          136320

I wasn't trying to bust your chops, just thought that you might like to look at the data for yourself. The Cabela's battery might be a good battery to resolve this, and right now that would be my choice if I needed a battery, but the remote venting battery caps really seem to have solved the problem on my 4310. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-10-26          136321

I had the problem on my 4115.... a stretch 4110, and solved it with a sealed gel battery. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-26          136322

Acer and Ken another advantage of a VRLA gel like DR is using is low self discharge. The charge will stay up in the battery longer. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-10-26          136324

Acerguy; I have to agree with you, I've checked my 4310 several times and have not saw any problem yet. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-10-26          136340

Frank,

Have you phyically removed the battery to look and see what is going on behind it? Everything looks A OK when I checked the area too until I decided to remove the battery to do some pressure washing. What a corrosion mess I found. If you haven't already, you may want to remove the battery and take a looksee.

Randy ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-10-26          136343

Randy; No, I haven't ever removed the battery. I've checked and cleaned the posts a few times and as you say did'nt see anything bad. That sounds like a good job for tomorrow, thanks for the heads up. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-10-26          136344

Hopefully all is well when you pull the battery for a look. If by chance you do find some corrosion damage, spraying the entire area down with a hot water heavy solution of baking soda nutralizes the acid and stops the corrosion from progressing any further. Let is set for a day or so and then wash it off, clean up area with a wire brush and touch up paint. Looks as good as new. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-10-26          136346

KW
Any chance you could post the Deere part number for that remote venting thingy, I have asked my dealer and they seem clueless?
Thanks, Ann ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2006-10-26          136349

Just an FYI for those who have the 4010, 4100, 4110, 4115 these machines use a group 51 series battery - which is an easy replacment using an Optima sealed battery. dosent matter if its the "R" version or not(you would just turn the battery around). The newer 2305,2320,2520 use the 22NF (why they did that who knows). There is a chance the Group 51 will fit (from Optima). I will be experimenting with this I think this weekend on a 2520 - will post on results when finished. ....

View my Photos
majsmith

2006-10-26          136355

Hey Chief,

What do you think of this battery? It's 60 AH but I can't
find the CCA, and it doesn't have the side lugs, but neither does the SVR battery now.

I'm definately going completely sealed. ....

Link:   Web Link to Battery

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-10-26          136356

Anne, sorry there was no part number. They just gave it to me and said the JD used to install them on several models. My picture 18 shows it installed if you didn't know. Maybe you could show them the picture? I bet somebody there knows about it. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-10-26          136357

majsmith,

I initially looked at gel cell batteries but they will not work (at least not designed to). Gel cell batteries are designed for deep cycle discharge use in marine and RV applications. They require a nonstandard charging format that is not compatable with the alternator charging system on our tractors. (at least this is what was explained to me when I inquired about buying one for my 4410) Lastly, if this gel cell battery is similar to the battery I looked at which was also 60 amp hour, it only provides 300 CCA which is well below the 500 CCA of the OEM battery. The battery I went with is the battery I provided the link to. It is rated at 600 CCA and it is still going strong. This battery showed the tie down lugs on the side of the battery in the picture but the battery that arrived had none. I found out that there are so few calls for the tie down lug applications that the manufacturer discontinued them. I had a friend fabricate a tie down strap that goes over the top of the battery but still uses the OEM hardware and provisions. I wrapped the steel 1 inch x 1/8 mild steel strap with a generous application of 100 mph tape to prevent the steel strap from shorting out the battery and it has worked well so far. I have put almost a 100 hours on it so far. The problem with the Optima 51R is the location of the battery terminals. They may be a bit out of reach from the OEM battery cables. You will have to measure and see what works for you. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-27          136372

Major Smith and Randy - I looked at the site MS found and they have the AGM also and it is a little cheaper. It does not give the CCA, but I am sure it will compare to a normal 22NF. We looked hard and long for one earlier and I could not find a NA supplier. I must have spent a couple of hours with no success. Hawker is a european battery manufacture as is SAFT so they are importing them and selling in the US. Good find major. ....

Link:   AGM 22NF

View my Photos
Chief

2006-10-27          136377

Eric, the battery you are linking too has even less CCA capacity. Only 280 cold cranking amps. This battery will not work in this application either. I wish it would because these AGM and Gel cell batteries last a lot longer but just don't have the grunt cranking capacity for our tractor application. I believe the battery I am linking to is the same battery your link it to, just a different retailer. I talked to their tech rep at great length and this battery that I originally linked to in this thread is the only battery that will work. You may be able to make an Optima battery work. They have the CCA capacity. ....

Link:   8A22NF AGM Battery

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-27          136379

The CA and the CCA are different CA is at 32 F and CCA at 0F. The CA is about 390 for the average 22NF and 425 at the max. The highest CCA is the interstate at 390. Most are more like 300. Likely the interstate has thinner plates with less continuous power. CCA is limited by the plate size and the number of plates. All this is dictated by the size of the 22NF case. The gel batteries are about 350 CA and 245 CCA. I am not sure you will see much difference in actual use unless you are up north. Remember there is less self discharge in the VRLA. If you let the battery sit for a week it is likely the VRLA AGM will have more amps than the flooded battery.
I think the battery Major found is a Gruber not an East Penn. Seaching there are a lot more 22NF on the net than when we looked. Posted are the specs on another 2 22NF VRLA battery manufacturers. ....

Link:   Midstate

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors Possible Solution To The 4000 Ten Series Battery Corrosion Problem

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-10-28          136381

Chief; As you suggested I did pull the battery out yesterday, and reall other than a bit of paint gone off the steel the battery sits on I did'nt find much wrong. I pulled the screen from in front of the radiator, blew some air thru it and the radiator itself and did'nt see any thing wrong. I have no idea whether my dad's old rule on batterys has had anything to do with it or not, but he allways everytime he changed oil in anything put a squirt of motor oil on the battery posts, so I still do that just as if he was still watching over my shoulder. Kind of a mess at times, but never any corrosion on anythiong. Been doing that since the 49 Hudson, so probably will keep doing it. Frank. ....

View my Photos
reason201

2006-10-30          136414

I am going to post this again as the discussion seems to be heating up again. Unless I am missing something, this battery seems like it would fill the bill for an AGM battery with the dimentsions and cranking power needed for the JD CUTs.

I was going thru the Cabelas catalog I came across their battery section. They sell a group 22 AGM battery with the following dimensions...

Group 22, Cranking Amps 850, CCA 670, Reserve 95 Min, Weight 38.5 Lbs., (L"XW"XH") 9.37 X 5.5 X 9.25.

The write up on this battery is...

The next generation of lead-acid batteries, our revolutionary Advanced Anglers series uses a separator similar to fiberglass to hold the electrolyte in place. This physical bond between the separator fibers, the lead plates and the container completely eliminates leaks and makes these some of the most vibration- and impact-resistant marine batteries on the market. These completely maintenance-free 12-volt batteries also play double duty on the water, serving as either a cranking battery or a deep-cycle power source. In testing, this revolutionary design withstood over 400 drain/charge cycles, giving them a life span far surpassing conventional batteries. And they won't freeze, no matter what frigid conditions your boat endures during the off-season. Meets all EPA/OSHA marine requirements. FAA and DOT approved.

It is listed at $114.00 plus shipping. Just a thought if it will mount up.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-10-30          136415

My memory is rusty but the 22 is slightly bigger than a 22NF (I think the N is for NARROW) and the terminals are reversed. It's a tight fit so wider may not work, and you don't want the terminals too close to the radiator. It could work, too, but somebody would have to try one to see. ....

View my Photos
reason201

2006-10-30          136416

kwschumm, you are exactly right about standard group 22 being larget than std 22NF but when you look at the dimensions of the Cabelas battery you will see that it is the same width as the 22NF battery, the same length as the 22NF battery and just slightly taller than the 22NF battery. Granted, the terminals are not reversed like the standard Deere battery but I woul think turning the battery around will solve that. The Cabelas battery has threaded posts but that can be resolved with adapters from the local auto parts store.

From what I have found on my 4710, battery height is not an issue so this battery should work. It has enough power, it is compatible in size and it is advertised to work as a cranking battery as well as a deep cycle battery.

I have seen no issue with my current battery but when it is time to replace it, I think this will be my choice unless somethng better comes along.

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-10-30          136417

Maybe my 4115 is different, but to me the least important number is the CCA.

I have no glow plugs to compromise the starting power and even in the coldest weather I doubt that I have ever used the starter for as long as a full second.

The point for me was to get a sealed gel cell that fit in the space provided. It has worked out very well.

View my Photos
Ducati996

2006-10-30          136418

DRankin,

Why dont you have glow plugs on the 4115? I thought they had them...im pretty certain I have them on the 2520

Duc ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-10-30          136422

The 4100 had glow plugs and the 4115 does not. One engine has direct injection and the other has indirect injection.

I just can't remember which one had what. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-10-30          136423

Ok..... I looked it up. The 4100 had indirect injection, glow plugs and quieter ignition.

The 4115 has direct injection, no plugs and noisier operation. ....

View my Photos
HAWAIIANBOB

2007-01-24          139121

ALOHA! HAWAIIANBOB HERE; I JUST BOUGHT A NEW JD 115 A LAWN TRACTOR. THEY DELIVERED IT WITH A NEW BATTERY. I TOOK THE BATTERY OUT A SAW 2 SMALL SPECKS ON THE BATTERY HOLDER. I THINK THAT THIS WAS FROM AN ACID SPILL. I PUT A THICK PLACTIC BOTTOM PLATE DOWN AND THEN I GREASED THE WHOLE AREA WI GREASE, THEN I TURNED THE BATTERY UPSIDE DOWN TO CHECK FOR LEAKS, IT IS A SEALED BATTERY, NO LEAKS. THEN I PUT THE WHOLE BATTERY IN A HEAVY DUTY PLASTIC THICK BAG BEFORE I CONNECTED THE TERMALS. JUST IN CASE. ACID CAN CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR PAINT PLUS YOUR BATTERY WILL DISCHARGE LITTLE BY LITTLE IF NO PLASTIC IS UNDER THE BATTERY. ALOHA! HAWAIIANBOB ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login