Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4200 problem - need your opinions

View my Photos
paulss
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-08-15          114896

I bought the JD 4200 w/Hydro/420 FEL and 920 hours on it. The dealer says they serviced it before delivery and it worked fine for the 20 minutes I drove it around their yard. I also bought an LX-5 shredder.

They delivered it last week and I finally got to use it Saturday. Everything went well for about an hour and then I noticed it bogging down while mowing 1-2 ft weeds and bermuda. Earlier I had been going through some 4-5 ft tall nutsedge (really nasty stuff) and had been very happy that it made it, albeit at a pretty slow pace. The bogging got to the point that after I stopped the PTO and just tried to move the tractor up a slope it struggled. I also noticed that the FEL was going up very slowly. I brought it back to the barn and tried it again yesterday with the same results. It worked great for 30-40 minutes and then started to bog down again. With no load on the hydro, the engine runs fine and responds to the hand throttle as it should and if it bogs down and dies, restarts immediately and runs fine.

I called the dealer this morning and he says it sounds like the hydraulic pump. He says this would account for the bogging and FEL problems. He says he will get w/his service manager today and get back with me. He also says he will "make it right" and I believe he will.

Any opinions and, if it is the hydraulic pump, where's it located, how much will it cost to replace it and are the any other things that need to be checked as a result of the problems with the pump?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-15          114900

From the symptoms you described, it almost sounds like the hydraulic pickup screen is clogged. This would account for the hydraulics and the hydrostat drive being sluggish. I would ask them if they replaced or at least inspected & cleaned the pickup screen? Below are some areas to check as outlined in the shop manual.

(4) Low Power?
Yes - Hydraulic oil level low in transaxle
Yes - Low charge pressure. See Tests and
Adjustments section.
Yes - Main drive pressure relief valve stuck open.
See Tests and Adjustments section.
Yes - Air in system. See Hydraulic System Bleed
Procedure.
Yes - Hydrostatic pump output pressure too low.
See Tests and Adjustments section.
Yes - Internal pump or motor damage or excessive
wear ....

View my Photos
rbkuconn

2005-08-15          114920

You did not mention if you have a MMM, but if you have the center lift for one, the lever mounted on top of the right fender is not returning to it's detent position, allowing a bypass of fluid-and substantial power to be unavailable.

Good Luck! ....

View my Photos
steve4300

2005-08-15          114922

I don't know about the 4200 but my 01 - 4300 had a recall on the hydrolic pick up tube screen. If this is true with yours you might want to check with your dealer about this. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login