Go Bottom Go Bottom

Trailering a 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-23          113800

I've got a 2210 that I began to haul on a 14 ft tandem trailer. The unit just fits on the trailer with the FEL and BB but there is no room to move it forward or backward. It rides well. But how do I tell if I have too much or too little tongue weight? I pull on forward but maybe I should be backing on? Because I just fit I can't move the unit around - I can only change the loading direction. It looks to be a bit tongue heavy right now. Any suggestions or advice?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Trailering a 2210

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-23          113820

That is something that needs to be seen! Is the rear of the truck sagging and if so how much? The trailer is designed for how much weight? What size truck? What type of trailer? Landscape,skid steer,deck over,hydraulic dump or a car? What type of ramps? ....

Trailering a 2210

View my Photos
oldrental
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-24          113827

If you look at the hanger between the front and rear axel it should be level if you’re centered. The main thing is to make sure neither is bottomed out. ....

Trailering a 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-07-24          113829

I've got plenty of vehicle - I'm pulling with a full-sized Suburban. THe tralier has plenty of capacity as it has axles for 7000# and my unit only goes 3000#. Even considering the tralier weight I've got plenty of tralier.

Looking at it loaded it looked a bit front heavy. When you load a tractor, most pictures I see are of tractors loaded in a forward direction. Is that the prefered direction? Does a tractor like mine have more of its weight on one axle? Or is the weight evenly distributed front and back (assuming all implements are on the ground of course)?

Next time I load it I'll measure front and back clearance to tell me how close I am "level". I'm wondering if I should have a 16 ft trailer to allow me to adjust the load? ....

Trailering a 2210

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-07-24          113838

Good idea. Trade up now before the steel prices jump again. ....

Trailering a 2210

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-07-26          113929

I've got plenty of tralier.
bmeyer
================
in everything but SIZE

Trailering a 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-07-26          113934

I guess I need a "trailer stretcher"!

When I pulled it the other day for the first time, I was pleased. It tracked well and the brakes worked as they are supposed to. The lower deck of the trailer (drop axles) made loading and unloading a breeze. Although, I think I'll use two small jack stands to prevent the trailer from trying to raise up as I load/unload.

Trailering a 2210

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-07-26          113941

The jack stands are a must.

My 4115 will jerk the rear end of the Tundra off the ground. ....

Trailering a 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-07-27          113951

DRankin, I bet it does! I hadn't considered that issue/problem when I loaded the unit. Now I better understand why some ramps have that "leg" under them. Makes all the sense in the world to me now. Live and Learn!

Trailering a 2210

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-07-27          113952

Sounds to me that your trailer has the axles placed too far toward the rear with regard to where your load is placed. Do you have the capabilities of repositioning the axles or a local machine shop that could do this? Moving the axles forward 6" to 12" will change the balance getting more to the center of gravity of your load. This will reduce the tongue weight. If your load is too far behind the wheels it will make the tongue light and cause the trailer to sway when going down the highway. (That's bad). ....

Trailering a 2210

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-07-27          113955

The jack stands are a must except on a tilt trailer unless you want to use ramps also occasionally.

If using jack stands should they be manual or hydraulic or would that be a matter of preference? ....

Trailering a 2210

View my Photos
tekts9

2005-09-29          117127

Hyd stands seems like overkill. Jackstands are ok, but a better system, (if you use trailer every day) would be stands attached to trailer. I can send you pix. The best system uses ramps, with legs, attached to trailer with spring to counter the weight.Easy to flip up. Nothing to get lost.In my opinion, the most important things are: having enought brakes(both axels & properly adjusted) & visible turn signals/brake lites, when loaded. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login