Go Bottom Go Bottom

990 790 what would you do

View my Photos
daveknowshow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-21          100687

well its down too crunch time! i have 9 days too deside, my price came in at $21056.75 on 790 4x4 419fel #7bh for the same money i can get a 990 4x4 with a 430 or possibly a larger capacity loader < not sure if larger is available had heard the 460 will fit the 990> i'm just not too convinced of the 790 lift capacities they seen awful low to be as expensive as it is. i like the compact size of the 790 if only the lift capacities where higher. i'm not sure hydrolic relief increase is an option on these newer 790 looks too me as the pump is different / changed the bh option on the 790 was not that important too me as greater lift capacity would be. if the pressure relief is still an option has everyone still been satysfied with the mod being mechanicaly safe < not user safe i know the dangers of flipping been there done that!> also i notice in that thread it said pack of shims as if there is more than 1 shim too a pack. in another post i had read a gentlemen purchased the shim pack and there was only 1 shim in the pack. how does it come? any insight or opinions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-11-21          100690

I don't know what you plan to do with the tractor to say if the 790 would be suitable or not.
I would want a machine with enough power and lift to do most everything I need to do without the need of modifiying hydraulics Etc. right off the bat .
If you purchase a tractor underpowered for your needs you will be much more likely to be disatisfied with your choice.
My opinion.. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-21          100692

Whatever you do, get the backhoe. You will double the usefulness of your tractor. ....

View my Photos
daveknowshow

2004-11-21          100694

thnx ncrunch32 i like your tractor / bh really nice i can get either one but will have to put the bh on back burner for a spell if i go 990 i see a ussue with 8b bh being available down the road so no prblems there i like the idea of a bh but a weak bh on a weak tractor is no good what sux is there is noreason the 790 could not have a larger hydrolic pump and stronger capacities. just there way of pushing us up too a 4310 or 990 which would you think of as being the next step up from 790? ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-21          100696

Dave, I am not the expert that others are on this site. But there are a few threads here about shimming the 790 and I think some have done it successfully. I have a hard time commenting on what the best tractor size is for you. People on this site say any size is good - just the smaller the tractor - the longer it takes to do the job. I like having a 32HP tractor, it is a good universal size tractor - hydro makes it real easy to use - and the 3000 lb weight makes it stable when using the backhoe.
If your wife is up to it - and you get a tractor she can use (hydro) - then she will be glad you got the next size up. ....

View my Photos
BenEAmonette

2004-11-21          100701

Keep your eyes open to other brands. There may be something else out there with the specs that are more to your liking. On the other hand, they may make you like the JD even more. Who knows until you look. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-11-22          100703

I'd really hate to see you take a new tractor and start shimming up the relief pressures. I've also seen some talk on changing the pump on a 4310 to match the HP of a 4410. Every system of any brand or size tractor is designed to stand certian loads and pressures with some designed in overload capacity. Any time you modify any part of the tractor for more performance then you've crossed into the overload capacity and then will excced that limit till the weakest link fails. I'd advise giving a 4310 a strong look, not only for the increased abilitys, but also for the creature comforts. If going to a 4310 strains the budget then maybe buy just the tractor and some basic attachments now and with as many 4000 series tractors and attachments as have been sold ther will be good used loaders, backhoes, etc. around for years to fit the trsctor. I've got both a 4310 and a 4410 and can't think of any reason I'd need or want anything better, they've did everything I've asked of them and are truly a pleasure to operate. Just my thoughts, good luck. Frank. ....

View my Photos
daveknowshow

2004-11-22          100705

thnx frank and all whom have responded i must say the creature comforts of the 4310 are quite appealing! however i've not had much luck with fancy do dads my power seats dont work power windows always staying down or wont go down that sux at a toll both! this is kinda my reason on looking 990 being a basic design with little maintenace/repair cost as low as it can get. i actualy had thought of a 790 with a larger pump! however the weakest link has come too mind no telling where that is i do feel the 990 is a beast and could handle more than what i will ever need. if i do go 990 i will have too wait on the bh as the funds are just not there. that is unless someone here is looking for a nice tax write off! donations are welcome! lol thanks again too all the great responces this site can make you want a tractor even if you really did not want one! gotta love that! as lots here have ask what i will be using it for its a toy like many other toys i have dirt bikes, metal lathes, lincoln sa250 welder,17.5' boat and lots of other fun stuff too play with living on just under 1 acre most would say 790 is all i need but as for me i can never stop at just enough gotta have more than enough. i don't have a wife or g/f so my toys are all the excitment i get around here < other than my teenage son and all his friends> well i'm rambling on as always. so in closing thanks again. what ever i deside i will be taking pix for all too see! ....

View my Photos
jd2210

2004-11-22          100709

I think if you are serious about wanting a BH down the road, then you would benefit more from the the 990. I have used many Deeres, and I would say the BH, like the loader is the one attachment where size does matter. Have you looked at the cost of a Bushhog or Woods brand BH for the 990, as well as the loader it might get that package, back to the fully equipped 790? These are well-known and proven attachments. ....

View my Photos
daveknowshow

2004-11-22          100710

thats a great thought! wood or bushhog no i have not checked that but i surely will. and i'll let you guys know what i find out thanks! < getting excited again now> i really want that bh! ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-11-26          101055

Dave - I had a 790 with a backhoe. It will do the job no problem however...as far as the backhoe goes...the biggest problem I had with it was I constantly used to hit my head on the rops. Man was that irritating! Keep your eyes open & keep shopping...thats my $.02 ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-11-26          101083

Dave, sounds to me like you are inclined toward thte 990. From what you describe with respect to intended usage; I think you will be much better off with the 990. If the BH is not critical for immediate use; I would suggest the 990. Overall it has much greater capacities and abilities than the 790 (the 790 is a fine machine for its hp and size) which seems to be what you are after. For the money spent, the 990 is a very good buy. I think you will be VERY satisfied with it. Just bear in mind that the 990 is MUCH larger than the 790 and cannot use a MMM or mid pto. Be sure to order 4WD, it is a MUST! With 35 to hp, it is a VERY capable basic collar shift tractor. They come standard with R-1 ag tires but you may want to consider the R-4 industrial bar tires if you do much operating on turf you care about. The R-1's are much better for traction not to mention about $450 cheaper. ....

View my Photos
daveknowshow

2004-11-27          101133

thanks gras and chief your input is greatly welcome as well as everyone whom has responded. well as i said previously they put a deadline on me for the price on the 790 something about extending the sale price? not sure if he is just pulling my chain trying too push me into closing the deal before months end. i hate that i never liked being rushed too a deal that i know so little about. at anyrate i'm leaning 990 as you said chief my only complaint is its size three frame sizes bigger than the 790! thats alot. you see i may have too tow this beast too my brothers and sisters homes and there is always the friends that come out the woodwork when they find out you got something they need! not having a 1 ton truck too tow it with or a trailor large enough. guess i may be in the market for a small dumptruck if i get the 990! yeehaaaa! always wanted one of them. dang my pocket book is sqealin smokin like a married man's! well i had glanced at a 990 on one lot that was a demo model 49 hours i think on it 18000.00 i believe he quoted. anyone know if the lift capacity of the other loaders will be greater on the 990 as of now it seems they use the 430, wonder how the new 300cx? will effect lift and break out forces or will the 460 work on the 990 guess i'll have too test my computing abilities and try and find the specs on the three too compare. well thanks again too all who replied being a tractor dummy i need all the help i can get. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-11-27          101143

A good price on a 990 4WD with R-1 ag tires would be around $14,000. Figure another $3,000 to $3,500 for a 430 FEL. $500 for set up and filling the rear tires. You are still going to need more rear ballast weight so either tire weights or some type of implement (box blade on the 3 pt. hitch?) I would STRONGLY suggest rolling up all of the other goodies such as worklights, seat arm rest, block heater,bucket tooth bar, deluxe canopy, etc. in the purchase price. As Grassy mentioned about the ROPS; if you are very tall at all, you will be hitting your head on it so I suggest wrapping it in foam pipe insulation or some other material. $18,000 for a demo tractor with 45 hours and no other add ons is a ridiculous price. Below is a link to give you some idea as to reasonable pricing that can be had. Good luck! ....

Link:   Lawn and Liesure Online 990 Pricing

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login