Go Bottom Go Bottom

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-10          90514

I'm close to a decision on buying at 2210, FEL, MMM, Blower. My current 5x8 trailer won't handle this rig. What type/style of trailers do most people use if they need to move this machine? Single or double axle? What weight capacity should it haul? I've looked at a couple of 6x10's and a 5-1/2x10 at Home Depot.

The 2210 weighs about 1500 lbs, what does a MMM and loader add? Any brand that has worked well? Or poorly? The trailer needs to serve other functions as well. Any advice or suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-10          90523

I don't have the exact figures at hand... but here is what I do have: My 410 loader, 53 inch bucket and the mounts/grill guard weigh 783 pounds. The 2210 loader can't weigh much less.

I don't have experience with MMM's but I think they gotta go 400+ pounds.

I think you can almost double the weight of a basic 2210 when you add a MMM and a FEL. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2004-07-11          90525

Doubling the weight was my original thought - i.e look at trailers in the 3000# range. I'll move it infreguently but do want a ramp to load it.

Home Depot has a "Snow Bear" 5-1/2x10 trailer for $899. I came close to buying it yesterday. It's a nice looking unit - 2" ball, 13" wheels, nicely wired, chains, ramp, side rails and options for stake pockets.

BUT, it is rated for a GVWR of only 2800# (about 500# for the trailer). Is it enough?

1/2 the fun is looking. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2004-07-11          90528

bmeyer,

I'm interested in this post for similar reasons. Are you going with the 54" MMM or the 62"? If the 62", it is 75" wide with the chute guard down, and 66" wide with it up -- pretty tight. As for the weights, the 54" MMM is 170 lbs, and the 62" is 200 lbs. As for the weight of the 210 FEL, I can't find it anywhere in the owners manual, so use the 410 weight as an outside number (remember the ballast box weight too). ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
mcgavic1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-11          90534

According to the JD book, this would be the weights 2210 alone 1400 lbs, 62" deck with attaching hardware 350 lbs, 210 loader with 49" bucket, 536 lbs, totally 2286 lbs. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2004-07-11          90571

Thanks for the comments. It appears my first chioce of trailers (from Home Depot) is on the light side. I probably need something that can carry around 3000# which leave room for those other things that creep onto a trailer from time to time. Looks like a trip to the "trailer store" is in order. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
mowhoward

2004-07-11          90578

I have a 2210 with 62" MMM and FEL. I transport it with a 16' tandem axle trailer. I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything less. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-07-11          90583

I have to agree with Mowhoward. A 16' tandem with brakes is minimum. With the FEL and Box on my Kubota BX2230, it rides nicely and uses most of the deck on my 18' car-hauler. My tractor with accessories is on the high side of 2500 pounds. This may be a bit over-kill, but I like to be safe and controlable on the highway. ....

Link:   My Website

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
beagle

2004-07-11          90592

A tandem axle trailer is a must when moving this type of equipment. The weight distribition with a single axle trailer will cause some unsteady towing (wagging) at high speeds. Also, if the rear wheels are loaded, add another 300lbs to the total, which would also mess up the weight distribution with a single axle trailer.

I use a 16' tandem axle, 7500 lb gross, 5000 lb net trailer for my 7800. It tows a lot heavier than than the numbers would say it would. Get plenty of trailer, definitely with beakes. Just enough trailer won't be enough. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
jkoella

2004-07-12          90602

I trailer the JD2210 with 62" mower on a 6X10 single axle rated #3500 w/o brakes and it does just fine. You need 6X10 and not 5X10 for the 62" mower. You could fit it on 6X8 but there's not enough room to safely adjust the tongue weight. You can fit tractor and snow blower on 6X10 but not tractor and blower and sander, unless you can hang the sander over the back - which I can't do on mine because the ramp swings up in the back. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
jkoella

2004-07-12          90603

One comment on the mower: the 62" extends beyond the rear wheels, which makes it easier to mow close to objects, but it is also easy to run the mower into things the tractor didn't run into. Eventually you'll bend the front mounting harness of the mower if you mow pasture or an area with small saplings at the edges and keep running into fairly solid objects! ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2004-07-12          90612

Your comments on the 62" vs the 54" MMM are interesting. I have a 54" deck now on my Simplicity Landlord. Going wider on my property raises the same concerns about tight spaces and varied ground types (hills, slopes, trees, ponds). I intended to get the 54" but many people have suggested the 62" MMM. That in turn drives the width of the proposed trailer as 5 feet wide won't do. I know it's only 4" on each side but is it a problem in tight spaces and turns? ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2004-07-12          90614

bmeyer,

Go with the 62" if you can. The overlap is much better, and the overhang is good for edging, keeping the ROPS further away from trees etc. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-07-12          90625

It is possible to tow a tractor on a red Radio Flier if you want. That doesn't make it safe. Having family members in the State Patrol I hear stories all the time about these "lumberyard" utility trailers. Yes they are cheap, but in the case of towing several THOUSAND pounds of tractor, 13" wheels and light construction are not up to the task. If this rig fails going down the highway, you may be fine in front, but when the wreck hits the road what happens to the people behind you? You will be liable for them too. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-07-12          90636

I agree that a tandem is a must. You definitely want something more substantial than a snowmobile type trailer with tiny tires. You mentioned that you also have other uses. You should consider these as well as the storage issue. I think you could get by with a 14'. A 16' would be better for weight distribution directly over the tires+space for other stuff or something hanging off the back end of the tractor like a tiller, etc.

I opted for an 18' triple axle. It requires a huge barn for storage but can handle almost anything that I need to haul with a 10,000lb. capacity. (no dozers, payloaders, forklifts or big backhoes). It is bigger than needed for most applications for weight carrying but have used its bed size for moving my kid back and forth to college in one load. It is also handy for hauling the tractor + ATV, etc.

You want something low to the ground, heavy duty ramps, electric brakes and usually 2 5/16 ball for 16' heavy duty trailer. You also need to consider what your tow vehicle is capable of.

Some flatbeds have stake pockets in the corners allowing for sides. For width consideration, remember that the side discharge chute can be flipped up but still takes up 6-12" beyond the width of cut. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-07-12          90644

I will be the voice of dissention here. I use a homemade single axle trailer, pulled with my Ford Explorer. The trailer is fab’d from 3” structural channel, has a 3500 lb axle, surge brakes and 6’ x 10’ tilt-bed. The hinge point is at the center of the bed with the axle located 12” behind center. I drive up the tilted bed until it tilts back forward, over center, then go about 6” further forward, to where I’ve found the ideal load placement. As long as the axle location - in relation to the load (the tractor) provides a couple-hundred pounds of tongue weight I have absolutely no problems. I also find, a single axle trailer to be more nimble, and much easier to back into tight places. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-07-12          90646

I guess you have to use what you have to get the job done. I would not want anything to do with your tractor, FEL, and box blade on that small trailer, especially being pulled by something as light duty as a small SUV (Explorer).

This, however, is just my OPINION, so take it for what it's worth ($0.00). The same $899 will nearly get you a basic car-hauler if you shop around. (My neighbor just bought a new 16' with a damaged fender for $1000 as-is) Much more capable and useful for other things. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-12          90649

If we do a little simple math here it becomes pretty obvious what the minimum should be for hauling something like this around.

A 6' x 10' tilt trailer will have a tare weight (weight of the trailer itself) of nearly 700 pounds.

If we guess-timate based on manufacturers spec.'s that the tractor as equipped is about 3,000 pounds, with the trailer the total weight is now 3,700 pounds.

Interestingly enough the first trailer manufacturers website I found that listed 6' x 10' tilt-bed trailers (see link below) also shows in their spec.'s that NONE of their single axle trailers have a payload capacity of more than 2,315 pounds. In this case it would be overloaded by more than 1,300 pounds, or about 60%.

At first glance this doesn't look like a very good way to move a CUT.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Load Rite Trailers

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-07-12          90651

Scooter
I had an Explorer clone ('97 Mountaineer) for eight years. I've used it to haul lawn tractors,etc. with my 4'x8' utility trailer and my 16' aluminum boat for years without incident. However, I would not transport that kind of weight, with that center of gravity height very far nor very fast. Remember older Explorers are rollover kings. I recently bought my daughter an'04 Explorer that handles lots better but still wouldn't haul a sub-compact.

If someone pulls out in front of you or cuts you off on a on or off ramp you will not be able to keep it under control. If you have a flat or blow-out your toast. If you lived in Michigan a pot hole might get you as well.

My $.02 - Be careful. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-07-12          90653

I keep a come-along in the trunk of my VW for the Wisconsin potholes!! LOL ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
beagle

2004-07-12          90656

Make sure you are prepared to explain to your insurance carrier, the state Boys, and possibly an attorney, why you were carrying a 3000lb tractor down the highway on a utility trailer. You probably don't want to stutter.

By the way, there ain't a machine or trailer known to man that can effectively handle our Michigan potholes. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-12          90660

I've heard people talk of those 'Michigan Potholes' before, but they didn't call them 'potholes', they always referred to them as Lake Michigan & Lake Huron.....

Best of luck. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
beagle

2004-07-12          90663

Nope, those are just puddles. The Great Lakes are in the middle of I-94. A real tourist attraction. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-07-12          90664

Jeez –Louise, I should have explained further that I only trailer the JD2210 and the 62” MMM, with this arrangement (which now I realize is not exactly in-line with the original question). I have never had a need to take the FEL or box blade along with it since the dealer delivered it.

Anyway, the Explorer has a rated tow capacity of 3500 lbs, the trailer is licensed for 3000 lbs, the trailer axle is rated for 3500 lbs, the trailer weights 800 lbs (at most), the tractor plus MMM weights 2000 lbs (at most), and with the surge braking on the trailer, I’m comfortable with that.

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-07-12          90665

My arrangement is essentially the same as "Misenplace's" #2 picture gallery photo. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-12          90666

Scooter, the axle in your trailer is only one part of the entire suspension system.

Have a look at the sidewalls of the tires on that trailer, by law the maximum load is printed there. Multiply the weight rating times tow and that is likely the 'weakest link' in the system.

If you're comfortable with doing so that's fine, but as was stated already, if some jerk cuts you off, or it's raining and you have a problem stopping, you will likely be found to be at fault automatically when they see that load.

Best of luck. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-12          90667

I wouldn't go too far holding that out as precedent around here, he's not well liked by a few members here.

Let's just say his judgement is 'suspect' when it comes to some things, trailering is well down the list.

Best of luck. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-07-12          90669

I’m in absolute agreement. The tires I use are “trailer” tires with a rated load capacity of 1710 lbs each. I’ve seen a lot of trailers with “car” tires, which do not have the proper design for a trailer. In addition, I have see many tandem-axles trailers which were unsafe, either by poor design, poor construction or improper loading.

I’m not sure what my point is, other than, a single axle trailer, used as designed, within its rated capacity is a viable alternative to a tandem. However, if a larger margin of safety is required to cover overloading and misuse, then the tandem is probably the wiser choice.

As for trailer ratings, you are correct. The maximum gross vehicle weight rating of the trailer is determined by the “weakest-link” or in otherwords the “lowest rated" component, which in many cases is the person driving the pulling vehicle :-)

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
plots1

2004-07-12          90685

I had to get a new trailer too. the tandam wheel 7000 pounder was great for the 790, but the 5205 about crushes it. I went to a 12000 pounder made for haulin tractors.GET more the you need so as not to be pushin the limit each time you haul. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2004-07-13          90738

This discussion has been informative and helpful. However, some of you have much bigger rigs than the 2210 I'm looking at. If I had a bigger unit I'd certainly only be considering bigger tandem axle trailers.

With the 2210, FEl and MMM, it sounds like I'd be in the 2300#-2400# range. I'd trailer it only occasionly I expect, thus my desire for a solution that could work, but that would also be useful for moving my kids to college, and hauling brush, etc.

I'd still prefer a heavy duty single axle trailer if possible. I'll be pulling it all with a Suburban so I've got the tow vehicle to do it. (I used to pull a 25ft boat with no problem on a tandem axle trailer with it.)

Are there any specific brands that are worth special consideration? ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-07-13          90751

Suggest that you don't under purchase. You will undoubtedly wish later on that you had something bigger. I have a Haulin utility trailer and a Hydra-lift dump trailer. Both can be viewed at "forestriverinc.com" They make a whole bunch of brands like US cargo, Cargo mate, Continental cargo and several other brands. They are based in Elkhart,IN the trailer capital. Fit,finish, etc. isn't bad and the paint jobs aren't always the best but pricing is good. The Haulin brand is sold at most Home Depots or Lowes (can't remember which-hav'in a grey moment) You will need something heavier than those. You should have a local trailer distributor that handles these and many others that can also give you tips on the right size. Auto & RV weekly newspapers also feature lots of trailers both new and used and some have real good deals.

Get something with a nice substantial metal frame and larger tires. You should be able to get a custom trailer in about 3-4 weeks with just the right ramps, D-rings, stake pockets, etc. if you can't find one on the dealers lot. Shop around for best features and pricing. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-13          90757

Scooter, you are absolutely correct, there is nothing wrong with a single axle rig. In fact one of the most used trailers in personal fleet is a 6' x 12' single axle lowboy. It has a 6,000 pound industrial axle under it and the deck is only 9" off the ground, The Kubota walks up on to it with out even a ramp. It tracks behind my dually like a dream and I couldn't even begin to guess at how many miles it has on it. Mind you though, when my buddy puts it behind his 1/2 ton GM-by-the-C it is a whole different story!

Bmeyer, if you have full-size tow vehicle and you forsee other future uses for the trailer I strongly recommend you buy at least a standard 16' car hauler, the cost difference is not much and as any boat will tell you, a few feet is a BIG difference. Even if you spend the same money and get a good used rig IMHO you will be happier a few years down the road when the little one isn't as handy as you thought it would be.

Best of luck. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-07-13          90766

I second the statement on larger tires. I would use nothing smaller than a “trailer tire” on a 14” wheel (15” would be even better). Anything smaller will not give you good service with the loads that you will be carrying. In addition, make sure they are “trailer tires”, a lot of these fly-by-nite small trailer fab shops will throw cheap small car tires on their trailers - Not a good idea.

When I was racing stock cars 15-years ago we had a 16 ft tandem axle trailer. With a full size car on it, tires, equipment, etc, it towed like a dream, very stable, very smooth. About 10-years ago, we sold the whole lot, and switched to dwarfcars. This is when I went with the single-axle trailer. The dwarfcar weighed 1000 lbs plus tires and equipment added maybe 800 lbs more. For 5-years, every Sunday night during the summer, I towed this rig 120 miles each way, including highway and gravel roads - Never had a single problem.

As an aside, You should have seen some of the garbage, others drug to the track. Some of these rigs would make your a** twitch. I saw full size cars towed to the track on single-axle trailers with the axle welded directly to the frame rails (if you could call them welds) - Very scary stuff.

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
beagle

2004-07-13          90818

It's worth remebering that most utility tralers are rated for a evenly distributed load on the bed of the trailer. They aren't necessary designed for concentrated loads. A tractor, or other wheeled piece of machinery will aplly concentrated loads to the trailer frame under it's wheels. You need to make sure the frame and bed of the trailer can handle the concentrated loads. In addition to the weight of the tractor, there is also impact from road travel. It would'nt be out of line to add 25% (or more) to the wheight of the tractor for impact loading to the trailer bed and frame. If the tractor weighs 3000 lbs, the trailer will se up to 3750lbs due to impacts, concentrated under the tractor tires.

We travel I-75 through Michigan often and see all kinds of crazy rigs on the road, carrying everything you can think of. There are always poor folks on the shoulder and in the median scratching there heads trying to figure out what to do next with their broken down rig, payload strewn accross the highway, and the family looking on. Those are amusing scenes when nobody gets hurt. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-07-14          90853

The Detroiter's got money. They can buy toys but can't buy common sense. I see lots of 5 wheels laying on their sides or tops along I-75. Then there are the other guys with no money and cobbled-up rigs and no common sense.

The only thing they have in common is that they can drive 85mph.

That wasn't being nice and was a stretch, they also have one more thing in common, "lack of courtesy"!!!!! ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-07-14          90867

I agree with the comments on concentrated loads, and the thoughts on impact loading. Although, presumably, even an axle (or trailer) rated for 3000 lbs would have a safety factor built-in to compensate for sporadic extreme impact loading due to road conditions. I would think that the maximum capacity rating would be somewhat lower than the load that would cause failure. And, would hope that the trailer designer took impact loading into consideration before applying a load rating to their product.

Lack of courtesy? You sure you're not talking about Nebraska drivers? ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-07-14          90886

"...hope that the trailer designer..."

I've been in manufacturing too long to take anything for granted. I'd rather have more capacity than I need and have my own safety factor.

Once again just my OPINION. (value = $0.00) ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-07-14          90892

I once had a college professor teaching strength of materials and mechanics of materials that was proud of the fact that he designed a cable suspension bridge that (partially) failed.

Two semis approached at 65 mph each (25 mph speed limit posted on bridge) from opposite directions and met at the middle of this bridge. Both were carrying D-8 Cats on low-boy trailers with front blades extending beyond the mirrors of the trucks. It was a narrow bridge (rural class B or C road with 45 MPH posted highway) and both crowded to the outside of the lanes to avoid each other at the centerline(was also posted that it was a narrow bridge/road narrowed at bridge entrance with weight limits).

Needless to say, the blades sheared a number of the suspension cables on both sides of the bridge, knocking both Cats completely off of their trailers. A section of the bridge sagged. Engineer (the professor)got fired! He taught the need for calculation with safety factors far beyond expectation. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-14          90895

Funny, my structural eng. prof. used to tell us to "Do the research according to the actual need, design according to the anticipated need, then build according to whatever the worst thing you could imagine some dolt doing with it was, then double it and add 20% for good measure.".

Did I mention he was an Army Corp.s of Engineers man?

Definition of an elephant?

A mouse drawn to Military Specifications.

Best of luck. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-07-14          90897

I was always taught that, if you can’t foolproof it, add a warning label. I thought that’s why my hair dryer has a warning label on it that says, “Do not operate while showering”. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-14          90898

What's a hair dryer? ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-07-14          90899

...hair... ?

See pic 1 ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
beagle

2004-07-14          90918

Fortunately the professionals in this country design steel structures to the American Institute of Steel Construction, Manual of Steel Construction, Codes and Specifications. Load Factors or Stress Reductions are built into the design codes to unify the design process and safety factors. Code writers such as the Uniform Building Code, or AASHTO, publish the loading a structure is to be designed to. Dynamic (impact) loads are part of the design process. The design professional is responsible for understanding the codes and specifications and properly applying them to the structural design. Yes, I am defending the Strucural Engineering Community. We have thin skin.

Not sure the same rules apply to some of the utility trailers I have looked at. I believe that group must have some pretty thick skin. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-07-14          90926

How many are built in the US? My neighbors new 16' was made in Mexico. Would the same standards apply (I hope) ? ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-07-15          90950

NATM (National Association of Trailer Manufacturers) is the trade group for manufacturers of trailers with GVWR’s of 26000 lbs and less. Although being a member of such an organization does not guarantee a manufacture’s competence, it would at least weed-out the fly-by-nite type companies. Ask the question: “is the manufacturer of this trailer a member of NATM?” If the answer is “yes”, then you can be a little more confident that industry standard recommended practices were used in the trailer’s design and construction.

BTW, AV8R - in reality my hairline is comparable to yours. The hair dryer I mentioned is actually my wife’s. ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-07-15          90992

I'm sorry I couldn't read that last post, Scooter. The glair was a bit too much. Could you put a hat on? LOL

Seriously though, I'm interested in how your FEL mounts/dismounts compared to the Kubota. DO you have a picture of it off the tractor? There seems to be alot of brackets and braces there, do they stay with the tractor or loader? ....

Trailering a JD 2210

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-07-15          90997

It’s actually a rather “slick” little mechanism, and much more difficult to try to explain than it is to operate. I’ll have to check my photo archives at home, to see if I have any pics. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login