Is Deere getting the message : John Deere Price  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Is Deere getting the message : John Deere Price -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Price Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 06-28-2000, 06:16 Post: 17508
Terry Weivoda

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Is Deere getting the message

I wonder if the post by J.Dubbs regarding his decision on a compact tractor would ever make it to Deere officials both at Augusta Works where the 4000 tractors are built or at their headquarters in Moline, IL. Mr. Dubbs says he eliminated the JD 4000 tractor from his choice essentially due to the MFWD axle problems that have been discussed on this board for nearly a year and a half. It would be interesting to know whether "any heads rolled" at Augusta with the axle mess. I suspect not. While the 4000 tractors continue to sell it would be interesting to know how many Kubotas, Cub Cadets and Boomers have been sold just due to the bad publicity surrounding the axle problem. In my opinion of Deere had just accepted the responsibility immediately, (a year and half ago) and replaced the axles without making the customers complain, beg, cry that this would have been forgotten by now. Customers like me would be on this board telling potential compact tractor buyers that Deere's warranty program is the best in the business and that you need to look beyond just the price. Instead, I am still waiting for the new axle on my 4600 and I get more irritated with Deere each time I mow with the tractor and rip up the turf.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 06-28-2000, 18:46 Post: 17525
Kelly Wright

I just bought a new Boomer, after seriously considering the Kubota. I did *not* seriously consider the JD 4100, though I did briefly stop and look one over on the dealer's lot.

Please understand... I have no brand loyalty in this arena as this is my first compact tractor, I have no axe to grind for any reason, and though I live in JD country, have no personal experience with or know anyone with any of the major brands of compacts.

However, after reading so much negative press regarding the JD 4000 series line I simply didn't want to take the chance or have the potential hassle of front axle problems or other apparent issues. My free time *is* important to me though, and I'm not tolerant or patient with messing around with warranty work or running back and forth to a dealer.

Since I live in JD country and see them all over, I certainly would have been inclined to look more closely at a 4100 if it wasn't for the negative material I've seen on several sites.

My money is green (no pun intended) and will be accepted anywhere. Therefore, after looking at the two other major brands, carefully reviewing the chatter on the various boards, and based on my own perceptions, I made my own calculated decision.

06-28-2000, 19:39 Post: 17526
droz

Filter by User

I have a John Deere 4100 and was going to get a 4600 in addition but they gave me such a run-around with the axle (which I tested) that I bought a Kubota instead. I doubt that John Deere cares much.

06-28-2000, 19:45 Post: 17527
Scott S.

I agree that there seems to be problems with Deere and public relations.
I bought a 4100 last fall and although I'm perfectly happy with it, I've
got to say that the dealer left MUCH to be desired. It seems as if they
could not have cared less whether I bought from them or not. Very cavalier
attitude, sort of "Hey, you want the tractor, fine. You don't want it, fine."
If doing it all over again, I'd take a more serious look at Kubota and NH.

06-28-2000, 22:30 Post: 17534
droz

Filter by User

Actually, my dealer was and has been exceptional. Fortunately, they sell Kubota and John Deere and steered me towards Kubota since John Deere was so unresponsive and they have had fewer problems with the Kubotas.

00-00-0000, 00:00 Post: 17544
Jim Youtz

Filter by User

Just reading these posts and thought I would jump in. I have a JD4100 and it doesn't scuff at all. All in all a great unit with no problems-I think one of the best in its HP class. As I read the posts which discuss problems with their 4000 series tractors, I notice that they do not mention the 4100, just the 4200 + models. Interesting, the 4100 is entirely made and engineered in Japan, while the 4200+ models are jointly made and assembled in Japan and Georgia. Pretty sad that this is the case, but it appears that the US plant and engineers must be the problem.

06-29-2000, 11:51 Post: 17562
Frank R Taylor

I'm with DROZ, I don't think Deere cares all that much. They seem to be happy with their share of the compact market and I don't know how much of their overall sales that the compact market accounts for. Competition is building though and I hope their attitude doesn't mean that they lose out on the sector all together. I'm another one who bought orange last year after reading on this and other boards about mechanical difficulties in the 4000 line. The dealer attitude and long lead times also contributed to my decision. I have never regretted it and although I still have an old JD 820 and the dealership has changed hands, I doubt if I will return to green in the future. Kubota's machinery is excellent and the dealer very good although I wish we had a Boomer dealer close. I'd love to check out one of those.

06-30-2000, 19:02 Post: 17585
Ken Butner

I would like to take this opportunity to vent some frustrations with my 4300 and experiences with the dealership. I purchased my tractor in November of 1999 from Harnett Tractor in Dunn, NC. I currently have 240 hours on the tractor and of that about 40 hours on the backhoe. Upon delivery of my tractor, I used it for five minutes before noticing the 4 in 1 bucket hydraulics were not functioning properly. The dealership picked up the tractor and returned it in a couple of days. Later on, I realized the dealership had connected the backhoe hydraulics incorrectly. The backhoe was connected inline with the rockshaft input port, meaning the rockshaft would function WITH the backhoe attached. The return of the backhoe was supposed to be connected to the return to reservoir port and the rockshaft input port is to be left unconnected. I corrected this problem at a cost to me of $26 for a coupling. Then the fuel gauge stopped working. The rod that connects the float to the sensor broke at the spot weld. For the sake of not having to go through the dealership, I repaired this myself at a cost of $40 for a new fuel gauge sending unit. After using the tractor for the last several months, the problems began to accumulate. I carried the tractor to the dealership on 6/20/2000 with the following repair list. An engine oil leak around the injector pump. The rockshaft arms tend to have a surging cycle when the tractor is idling, as if its having trouble maintaining the raised position. The backhoe bucket curl cylinder sprays hydraulic fluid under a heavy digging load (its not the fitting, its the cylinder). The backhoe boom right/left cylinders and or fittings leak hydraulic fluid constantly. The backhoe left side frame mount plate has one bolt that has loosened and backed out approx half an inch. The loader intermittently looses power and can barely raise itself off the ground(yes I recoupled the couplings numerous times-not the problem). The loader also holds its raised position for only a few minutes before it begins to sink downward with the engine either running or off. I have called the service manager several times this week and got the following responses. All the problems were supposedly easy to fix except the loader issues. The problem with the loader intermittently lacking raise power had them "baffled" and then they were "confused" per the service manager. John Deere has been providing them with "THINGS TO TRY" all week, but none of those solutions "TOTALLY" fixed the problem. The service manager told me that he was going to replace the entire SVC. I was "semi" promised the tractor today 6/30 or maybe 7/1, but now that has been pushed out to 7/3-late afternoon("we'll try our best"Wink yeah right due to the SVC not arriving and was "back ordered". Would I buy green again? I just dunno....... BTW, I do have the scuffing axle problem. That will be my next chore. I will keep you updated. -Thanks!

07-02-2000, 14:56 Post: 17623
bob komarek

I looked intently at all of the compact tractors. The 4100 series was tempting, but i had heard about the axel problem and finally settled on the 790 model. A great tractor and I have never looked back!

Bob

07-02-2000, 20:35 Post: 17634
Mike S.

Filter by User

Bob--a small clarification--the JD4100 did not have the turf-tearing front axle since it was manufactured by Yanmar in Japan. The JD4200+ compact diesel tractors had the poorly-engineered front ends. With as many problems as my 4400HST has had and knowing that it was manufactured in Georgia by JD, I would prefer that Yanmar had manufactured it in Japan and am confident that it would not have had so many problems, if any. At least it has a Yanmar engine of which I can be confidentWink yeah right Mike S.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Price Forum

Thread 17508 Filter by Poster:
bob komarek 1 | Chuck Westerfield 3 | droz 4 | Frank R Taylor 1 | J. Dubbs 1 | JerryGoucher 1 | Jim Youtz 2 | Kelly Wright 1 | Ken 1 | Ken Butner 1 | Mike 4 | Mike S. 3 | Roger L. 1 | Scott S. 1 | Terry Weivoda 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
kneedeep2011

Farming Ranching Agriculture - Howdy Tractorpointers
Howdy Tractorpointers

Unanswered Questions

Drain Cock
Need more hydraulic flow for s
HINOMOTO HB 501
Belarus 420A - Problems bleed

Active Subjects

460 Long hyd leak
Key will not start engine
6x4 engine rebuild vsHarbor Fr
Things we say and what do they
The Plus and Minus of Ignoring
Looking to buy a New Pickup Tr
Need more hydraulic flow for s
Mitsubishi D 3250

Hot Topics

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch s
Duerr hp 678 Chipper replaceme
Gator 620i gas in engine oil
KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
Duerr hp 678 Chipper Manual
Adjusting 7308 Pressure Relief
Long 460 hydraulic problem

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ John Deere JD 2520 Price
+ John Deere 3720 price
+ JD 110 TLB
+ Suitcase Weights
+ MARK UP PERCENTAGE ON TRACTORS
+ Good price for JD 4400
+ John Deere JD 3520 W CAB ORDERED MINE YESTERDAY
+ Deere 4110 on Craigslist
+ jd 3203 vs Kubota L2800