Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4100 Price advice

View my Photos
mober48
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-04          160798

New to this board. Looking at a 2000 JD 4100 to run a snowblower for my .6 mile long gravel road. One available locally at 10,500.00, R4 with HST and 220 hours. Is this a fair price? Never owned a compact tractor before so I'm concerned about any problems with a used tractor. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

Michael

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-04          160799

Seat of the pants response here.

Low hours on a machine that old can be interpreted in a couple of ways that may mean hard use. A tractor that is run often for short periods of time will often have problems because it never warmed up. A tractor that sat a lot will have water accumulate in the fluids which can cause problems, and lack of use without greasing can cause joints to rust and wear quickly.

To me the price seems high for a small machine that is nine years old. You can go to sites like machinefinder dot com and check out dealer asking prices for similar machines. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-03-05          160810

I agree with KW, that's a lot of mioney for a pretty small tractor, I don't think they sold for much more than that new. The first compact I ever drove was a 4100 when they first came out. The dealer brought one out with a rotary mower, it just didn't have enough power to do much. I'm afraid a snowblower on one with a six mile lane would be an all winter project. Check around at local dealerships for a bigger tractor for possibly the same money. ....

View my Photos
mober48

2009-03-05          160824

Thanks to you and hardwood for your replies. The road in question is just less that .6 mile long so it would not require much time on task. I'm thinking with r4 tires with chains it could do it. I'm concerned with any discernable mechanical problems with this model of JD. Any things that I should be looking for? ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-05          160828

Deere 41xx series are about the most bullet-proof compact tractors on the market.

The model you are looking at is completely designed and assembled by Yanmar in Japan. My 2003 4115 is a slightly stretched 4100 with 4 more horses. I have only 330 hours on it and it runs just fine.

I believe a 4100 will have enough power to effectively run a blower under most circumstances but I must also ask about your altitude in Montana and if you get really heavy wet snow.

If you are trying to blow really wet snow at 7000 feet above sea level there could be a issue with power(??).

As to the price.... does that include a front end loader?

Does the tractor already have a blower attached?

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-03-05          160829

Know very little on certain JD models but a good look at fliters and fluids can tell a good bit. If all filters are new or real old either it would gain my attention. Is there a service histroy? How about the manual for the tractor? They can be so helpful especially if that type of tractor is new to you. No idea on the price but the two who have already posted are JD people so I trust them on it, but only about 22 hours per year is very low. Have you asked on that? If the owner was say in military and out of the country for a few years ok. If not does that mean the hour meter was not working or tractor could not handle what it was expected to do or did someone buy who had no idea of what they would use tractor for and found out they had little real use or just never bought any attachments?

On tractors, a 2000 model does not mean the same as in cars. It does not tell you when it was put in service. With the hours on it, would try to find out. ....

View my Photos
mober48

2009-03-05          160832

wow...some really nice replies from drankin and kthompson on my jd 4100 query. Our altitude here is only 3200 so elevation is no problem and, yes, heavy and often wet snow can be a real issue. today we are getting 7-10 inches of fresh snow and the ground level snow is at 22 inches in continuous cover. the snowblower is a jd 47in model not currently attached. I've heard of transmission and hydraulic problems with 4100's and I'll check the service history carefully and also talk with the previous owner. Thanks to all for your replies. Let me know if you have other advice for a newbie tractor buyer! Regards. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-03-05          160834

(I take it that the lane is 0.6 mi.)

When it's a rear-mount blower (as most are) you want a FEL for balance. (Doesn't Deere offer a front-mount blower arrangement?)

Blowers don't leave shoulders like blades do, but you can go a lot faster with a blade and for a fraction of the cost.

View my Photos
DRankin

2009-03-05          160835

OK..... that Deere 47" sounds like a front mount blower, if so, it will be easier to use than a rear mount unit. I assume the blower is part of the price you were quoted.

What else comes with the package?

At your altitude, in cool weather, you should be putting out pretty much full power. I believe the blower will do what you want, but it will be a cold miserable ride.

Even a walk-behind snow blower covers you with snow. Glasses and goggles freeze up and must be continuously cleaned. If you don't wear eye protection your face and eyes get covered with snow. This is why many folks who buy a tractor mounted blower eventually opt for and enclosed cab.

You will not have this problem with a front blade, but the blade has limitations if the snow banks build up and don't melt between snows.

View my Photos
DRankin

2009-03-05          160836

On the issue of transmission problems: not on the 4010/4100/4110/4115 models.

The early 4200/4300/4400 models had tranny issues. The 4200+ models used Yanmar engines and American made transmissions. The pure japanese tractors hold up very, very well.

This board has only had one report on 4010/4100/4110/4115 transmission problems that I can recall in the last 9 years. ....

View my Photos
mober48

2009-03-05          160838

Thanks drankin! The road is narrow and tree-lined so that's why I'm opting for the blower instead of a blade. There's just no place to push the snow. A v-blade on a truck can only plow so much until stuff starts falling back in the road surface. Pleased to hear that the tranny issue is not common on 4100's. Yes the price includes a used JD 47 inch blower front mounted. Do you recommend an engine heater? EVERYONE in this country has a block heater and I suspect that one on this 4100 would be prudent. How much should I pay for it? Thanks. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-03-05          160839

A correction, when I said the price seemed high I did not realize the blower was included. It does not seem out of line with a blower. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-03-06          160845

I too stand corrected, I didn't realize the blower was included with the tractor. I priced a front mount blower for my 4310 once and if I remember correctly it was sorta high dollar. So probably not out of line. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2009-03-06          160847

A block heater on a cold country diesel is always a good idea, especially if the tractor will live outside.

Back in Alaska we used the can type coolant heaters that operated like a percolator with good success. They aren't very expensive and can warm a small engine up in an hour or two, even at 40 below.

I would have to take another look at my tractor to see is they would work as they are normally attached to the return hose from the car or cab heater. Anyway, check the link below for some options.

I know it gets real cold in Montana, so in your circumstance I would also opt for a good synthetic engine oil and Deere Low-Vis hydraulic fluid in the sump. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login