Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4400 or 4410

View my Photos
LenCravens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-09          159246

I'm looking to buy my first tractor. I've found a JD 4400 Hydro with 430loader, 48backhoe and landscape rake and 450 hrs. for $16,500
Also found a 4410 e-Hydro with same 430 & 48 with no landscape rake. This one has 900 hrs. for $18,000.
It seem obvious that the 4400 is a better buy. However, might I be missing something? Any have some helpful information?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere 4400 or 4410

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-09          159254

Len, not to cloudy the waters any but, do you really need a backhoe first of all.

Unless you have a LOT of digging to do a B/H is a VERY expensive proposition. You can rent a much better B/H in the form of a mini-excavator for ~$200/day that would dig circles around the tractor-mounted unit.

A B/H can also be a PITA to put on and take off to use the 3pth for another implement, such as a mower, rake, blade, snowblower or other.

What are the intended uses of this tractor going to be?

Best of luck. ....

John Deere 4400 or 4410

View my Photos
LenCravens

2009-01-09          159256

Thanks Murf,
I have a lot more time than money.
What I'm trying to do is find a compromise. If money were no object I would just buy an excavator and a skidsteer. I would have the ability to dig and to push the dirt around or load it into my old dump truck and deposit elsewhere.
I'm interested in developing & landscaping a couple building sites on 20 acres. I have been doing it thus far with rented equipment or hiring contractors. These dudes want a lot of money, they're in a hurry and don't seem to have the capacity for details. Likewise when I rent equipment...it's always "on the clock". My time is my own. I would prefer to piddle away at my projects at my own pace. Once my sites are done I'll still want the use of a machine to just do maintenance & snow removal and garden stuff.
Lenny ....

John Deere 4400 or 4410

View my Photos
jdkid4890
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-09          159259

WELL I THINK I WOULD GO WITH THE 4410 IF IT IN THE SAME SHAPE AS THE 4400. I KNOW THATS A LITTLE OF BUT 4400 HAD SOME PROBLES THAT WITH THE 4410 THEY DID NOT HAVE. THE OTHER THING TO THINK ABOUT IS HOW MINEY HOURS ARE YOU GOING TO BE PUTTING ON IT EVERY YEAR? AND DO HOURS MATTER IF ITS BEEN TAKEN CARE IF? ....

John Deere 4400 or 4410

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-01-09          159260

Len, I have a 4310 with 430 loader and the 48 backhoe. I agree with you on the part of hurryup high dollar contractors, and trying to use poorly maintained rental machines, that's why I bought the 48 hoe. I bought mine new, but I had spent twice as much as the hoe cost in the couple years before and still didn't have things done the way I wanted them. Far as mounting and dismounting the hoe, after a couple practce runs it is a fifteen minute job with little muscle work, the tractor does all the lifting to mount it. I had a 4300 before the 4310, there isn't a lot of difference, I'd compare the conditon of the two units more than the price. A landscape rake can likely be found on an auction, so I wouldn't let that be a real issue. I have a land Pride rake and it is a handy tool. I'm asuuming they are both four wheel drive. Frank. ....

John Deere 4400 or 4410

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-01-09          159261

My two cents.

Assuming both tractors were equally well cared for, and assuming that the front axle on the 4400 has been updated with improved steering geometry, I'd probably opt for the 4400.

The 4410 is newer but it has a lot of electronics that the 4400 doesn't have. Now I'm not anti-electronics (I have a trouble-free eHydro 4310 and like some of the features) but it is a fact of life that having electronics means more wiring, connections and components to cause trouble and components that will be obsolete or impossible to replace in the future.

Some have said that the 10 series tractors can be retrofitted with 00 series parts to keep them running if/when replacement electronics become scarce (esp. the transmission controls) but I don't know of anyone who has done that.

If you do go for the 4410 do a look see underneath to make sure that *all* the wires are tied up high before taking in the tall grass. ....

John Deere 4400 or 4410

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2009-01-10          159271

To determine if you have a version of the 4400 with the updated front axle you will need the serial number and a quick call to deere or a dealer.

IMHO the 4400 is the better deal. the 4410 is the electronic version and has a lot more that can go wrong. The only advantage is the electronic adjustment on the HST drive that permits the tractor to continue to move forward (or backward) slightly while braking sharply once you take your foot off the forward or reverse pedal. I have the 4300 and if you take your foot off the drive pedal the wheels lock up almost instantly, the e-version (the 4310 or in this case the 4410) has an electronic gradual release so you cant do that - its kinda nice while driving.

If you have a hoe on the tractor forget easily mounting a MMM its a total pain to remove the subframe for the hoe and vice versa to get a MMM on it. ....

John Deere 4400 or 4410

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-01-10          159280

Ann; My 4310 has the mid PTO to operate an auxillary Hydraulic pump that I haven't quite got put together yet,(next summer for sure). I've never had a mid mower for it. I didn't know the hoe subframe had to be removerd to use a MMM, that would be almost an unuseable combination. Frank ....

John Deere 4400 or 4410

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2009-01-12          159336

I have the MMM mounted on my 4300 and have been told by my dealer that mounting the back hoe requires taking off some of the equip to raise the MMM deck so its a non starter for me. I don't know this from first hand experience. Perhaps there is someone more knowledgeable who could confirm this. ....

John Deere 4400 or 4410

View my Photos
candoarms

2009-01-12          159339

AnnBrush, Frank,

I agree. There is no practical way to mount the subframe and use the tractor with a mid-mount mower. Nothing is impossible, but the amount of work involved would make it a real chore.

I tried to find a few photos of the setup. This one is pretty typical of the installation. Several nice pictures here. See the link below.

Joel ....

Link:   JD backhoe subframe

John Deere 4400 or 4410

View my Photos
harvey

2009-01-12          159355

Great photos only problem that is not a mount for a 4400 or 4410 or 4300. There should be no clearance issues with a JD 47, 48 or the newer models mounts. The MMM should fit fine. I do recall a post about mowing with the BH installed years ago. But I can not find it. ....

John Deere 4400 or 4410

View my Photos
floyd9

2010-10-12          174535

how i have a great ford 440o with brush hog and loader great condition runs great deasile 5ooo$ ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login