Go Bottom Go Bottom

Engine won t fire on JD 770

View my Photos
leistspk
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-03-30          196444

JD 770 compact tractor. Installed a new cable terminal on the positive cable. Engine cranks very fast. Engine doesn't fire thou. Right before I replaced the cable terminal, I jump started the battery and the engine fired right away. However I then found the terminal broken and replace it. Now with good connection, it cranks, but won't fire. Any suggestions what I might have shorted out.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-03-31          196446

There is a solenoid that releases fuel pressure from the injector pump to shut down the engine.

If there is no power to that solenoid the engine cannot start either.

Some tractors also still have a manual shut down cable, if you see a little knob that looks like an old school choke knob check that it's not pulled out slightly.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
leistspk

2017-03-31          196447

Does the solenoid pull-in (retract) to release fuel pressure or is it extended? When I was cranking the engine, the solenoid was extended. Is that correct position for delivering fuel or should it be pulled in?

I will check the amperage on the pull in wire (white) and the hold-in wire (red) to see if they are getting current.

Thanks for the input. ....

View my Photos
mnavojos

2017-03-31          196451

Generally on all diesel engines the fuel shut off has to be pushed in all the way. If mechanical you can follow the cable to the pump. If electric or a solenoid type this has to activate and allow fuel to flow. On all diesels though you have to have your pump also primed. It may not be just the shut off. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-03-31          196452

The easiest way to determine is just to see if the solenoid moves when the key is turned to the running position.

If it doesn't move, it won't start, period.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
mnavojos

2017-03-31          196454

I have also had intermittent starting and power loss with fuel tank problems. The fuel pick up tube inside of the fuel tank can be blocked. It sometimes allows fuel to flow but when under load or plugging intermittently can happen and the tractor will not start or perform 100 %. We have had this happen on a 100 horse John Deere......We call it getting the bugs out cause it was from a tractor that was soled probably for the same reasons. The vent line and the the tank were filled with earwigs... So they would pump up allow some fuel but at times block the fuel.... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login