Go Bottom Go Bottom

AMT 600 Throttle Conversion

View my Photos
crokett
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2018-01-18          197412

We bought an AMT 600 a few months ago. It has no issues. Part of the reason we bought it was to run the mile back and forth to my parents' farm and be able to haul things like hay and feed that we don't want in the cars. I've learned that the existing lever throttle (like ATV but on the front of the handle bar) is tiring on long rides.

I'm wondering about converting to a twist grip motorcycle style. I would either replace the existing cable+throttle or (preferred) hook the existing throttle to a twist grip. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions? I'd like to have a plan in place before I buy parts and/or start working on it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
charlieK

2018-01-18          197413

if your amt 600 has a cable there is no problem for a twist throttle ....

View my Photos
crokett

2018-01-21          197433

thanks my research says the same thing. I'm hoping I don't have to replace the existing cable but I don't think I will know that until I get the new throttle and can look at it.

View my Photos
Hogslayer

2018-01-27          197447

Another consideration is to purchase a throttle/thumb extender. It is a 2 piece plastic gizmo that clamps to your current thumb throttle knob. It extends the thumb contact arm by about 1" to 1 1/2". It therefore reduces thumb pressure to about half the amount. I've found that you can also roll your wrist slightly so the palm of your hand can make contact (I.E. the meat portion of your palm just below the thumb area). This is a very inexpensive and easy conversion.

It should be available thru any local power sports store that handles ATV products. Also available on line.

I've converted all 3 of my quads and found that it is very helpful when doing 100 mile trail rides. The more you ride, your thumb muscle will strengthen so it isn't as troublesome.

Roy Rogers always said "Happy Trails"! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login