Go Bottom Go Bottom

How to open Front Cowl Hood on Gator CX

View my Photos
bobinyelm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-07-02          196798

I am trying to open the front cowl of my (new to me) 2005 Gator CX by standing in front of the machine and pulling up and forward by the recess by the cup holder, but it won't budge (even if I pull hard enough to flex the plastic).

I stopped by my JD dealer yesterday and confirmed that's how it's supposed to open. I mentioned my reluctance to pull TOO hard, and the manager says about 50% of older hoods that were subjected to sunlight DO break, and they list at $600 or so.

I asked where the friction catch is and if I could pre-lube it so it would let go, but no one knew, and said "Just pull-if it breaks we can order you a new one."

Not very attractive from my viewpoint!

So... Is there a secret on getting it to release to tilt forward?

Thanks-
Bob

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
05Gator

2017-07-03          196802

Yep, there is a trick to open it. The hood has two catch points, about 8 inches from each end. You have to push down at those points with hand palm and move the hood forward a little. My CX is 600 miles away, so I can't be certain about the 8 inches. I have the owners manual, it was explained there. ....

View my Photos
bobinyelm

2017-07-03          196803

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Gator | view 196802
Yep, there is a trick to open it. The hood has two catch points, about 8 inches from each end. You have to push down at those points with hand palm and move the hood forward a little. My CX is 600 miles away, so I can't be certain about the 8 inches. I have the owners manual, it was explained there.

Found them, but no amount of pushing or pulling would release them.

I couldn't even insert anything between the cowl fenders and the lower fenders, so I drilled a 3/16" hole above each tab, and inserted a 90 deg pick, pulling aft gently, and the tabs easily released, allowing the cowling to flip forward.

The holes are harmless and affect nothing, but assure that I won't ever damage my cowl as te JD dealer told me THEY break w/ some regularity. ....

View my Photos
b79holmes

2017-07-08          196823

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinyelm | view 196803
---- damage my cowl as te JD dealer told me THEY break w/ some regularity.

I don't think I have ever seen a used Gator without damaged plastic somewhere (including my own) and also my neighbors 4100 has cracked plastic here and there.

Not a corvette expert or anything but thought those bodies are pretty tough. But it's easy to forget some part of a ator is plastic and stand or lean on it, or you a 4100 a little to much like a dozer. ....

View my Photos
bobinyelm

2017-07-09          196827

Yep-

I have a couple of cracked pieces down low (one near the gas fill, and one on the other side in about the same place).

And my Gator was just used to run plants around on paved paths in a plant nursery.

I suspect as they age, the plastic gets more brittle with sun exposure, too.

I had a Honda 4X4 atv that in Alaska I ran everywhere in the bush, and even at 30 below zero, and when I sold it after 15 years, the plastic had not a single crack despite flexing like a Gator never has to do.

I suspect John Deere just uses cheap grade plastic compared to Honda.

When I sold my Honda, I got almost twice what I paid new for it, whereas I bought the Gator for 1/3rd of its new cost, so for me, I guess the JD depreciation is a GOOD thing-I can live w/ a crack or two. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login