Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere Gator With Some Engine Blow-by

View my Photos
dbergan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-06-28          196782

I have a 2005 JD Gator, and also a 1992 JD 445 mower. Both have the Kawasaki FD620D engine in them. Both of them always have some oil mess under the air filter in the housing. I guess the "blow-by tube comes up in there, and I'm wondering how to determine if this is normal, or how much is too much.
On the mower, we have had a problem with the oil fill cap coming off while running. A new cap seemed to help for a couple years, but it blew off again the other day. The cap just presses on, not a screw on type. I checked the compression and it's 190, so it seems that there shouldn't be a problem with cylinders or rings.
Any suggestion or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
korange

2017-06-28          196783

Only thing I can think of is maybe a vent is plugged. Enough pressure to blow the cap has to get into crankcase---blowby--head gasket---valve seal??? Oil level correct? No gas in oil? ....

View my Photos
dbergan

2017-06-28          196784

Thanks for the reply....yes, oil is OK. Any idea where to look for a plugged vent?

View my Photos
JLMiller
Posts: 32 Deerfield or Sanford, wherever the weather's nicer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-06-29          196790

The new valve covers have a screw-on filler plug, and are metal, not plastic, which makes for a better seal at the gasket base. Mine blew out a few years ago, and I never found any cause. After replacing the valve covers, I've never had another issue. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login