Go Bottom Go Bottom

6x4 engine rebuild

View my Photos
Cheapsnake
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-02-22          196314

Hi, new to the forum, but not to Gators. I'm going to be looking at an early 2000's 6x4 that appears to be in pretty good shape, except for the fact that it "smokes a little", according to the seller. It's a gas model and I'm assuming the Kawasaki fd-620.

Sounds to me like an engine rebuild. This isn't necessarily a show-stopper for me and I'm still be interested in the machine if I can get it at the right price. I've rebuilt several car engines and don't think I'd have a problem with this engine unless the rebuild involves a bunch of exotic tools and ($$$)parts that I don't know about. Anybody with experience on these engines?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

6x4 engine rebuild

View my Photos
berryday38

2017-02-22          196316

If it's fuel injection, I'd stay way from it. Just read all the "gas in the oil" postings. I'm fighting problems on a 2010 Gator 620i with the Kawasaki FD 620D-CS26 engine and I only have 360 hours on it. First had problems at 150 hours when engine ran erratic and idle was bad. There was gas in the oil. Then had to replace fuel pump at 300 hrs. Now at 360 hours it coughs and sputters when press on gas, then speeds up and slows down when holding gas peddle at constant position. Like it's gets a shot of gas, then when engine almost dies gets another shot of gas. I've run test that the dealer has suggested, but unable to locate the problem. In less than 10 hours after oil change the oil is more than 1/2 inch above full mark. Beware ! ....

6x4 engine rebuild

View my Photos
Trainpilot

2017-02-22          196319

I'm getting ready to replace the engine (Kawasaki 620 v-twin) on my trusty Mule. I'm planning on installing a Harbor Frt. 22hp with a new primary clutch. Several Mules have been done this way. The Kawi is a pretty good engine, and parts are available. I'd probably pull the heads and have a look at the cylinders. It's a pretty straightforward engine. On the Mule one could do an in-frame. I replaced the cam in mine without removing the engine. That was several years ago. At 4000 hours, I'm looking to go with all new. It wouldn't be that hard to retrofit a carburetor if the source of your problems is the EFI We have a 6x4 diesel which runs when nothing else will--good simple machnes. ....

6x4 engine rebuild

View my Photos
Cheapsnake

2017-02-22          196322

Thanks guys, never thought to ask if it's carb or FI, but it's something I will keep in mind. The rebuild sounds doable. Any suggestions for parts sources? ....

6x4 engine rebuild

View my Photos
dbergan

2017-02-24          196334

I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine in my JD 2005 HPX Gator. It has the same engine and is not fuel injected. I doubt if this older 6x4 that you are looking at is fuel injected either.

Talk to the folks at ATVWorks.com for parts and see if they can help you out 1-866-436-3478

6x4 engine rebuild

View my Photos
Cheapsnake

2017-02-24          196335

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbergan | view 196334
I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine in my JD 2005 HPX Gator.It has the same engine and is not fuel injected.I doubt if this older 6x4 that you are looking at is fuel injected either.Talk to the folks at ATVWorks.com for parts and see if they can help you out 1-866-436-3478

Thanks, I'll check them out. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login