Go Bottom Go Bottom

Gator 6x4 won t start with Video

View my Photos
opti280
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-03-11          169134

Bought a new battery and checked the spark plugs and it still won't start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A94HFMMuU3k

Any ideas? It's about 10 years old and when I inherited it, I was told it had been driven through deep water once and it got into the engine.

Also, my father did not pass on the "car guy" info :) , so please be specific and descriptive in your suggestions.

Thanks!
Opti

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
spyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-14          169206

The only way that water would get into the engine would be through the carburettor.. for that to happen the Gator would have to have been submerged right up to the cargo box. That being the case, it will have had water in at least one cylinder. The sudden shock of cold water may have cracked one or both cylinder heads. Sounds like you will have to take the engine out and strip it and the carburettor down. They are not a particularly difficult engine to work on - I've just successfully rebuilt one with new rings, bearings, seals and gaskets and I am NO mechanic. You'll need the appropriate tools and the technical manual TM1518. The manual is a must-have in any case as it covers all aspects of the machine. You can get the manual from deere.com or download it from this link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/338458124/Gator_Utility_Vehicles_4x2_And_4x6-TM1518.pdf.html

Greeting from the high country of New Zealand.

View my Photos
opti280

2010-03-14          169224

Thanks Spyder! It was working about a month ago. We have two ATVs. When the main ATV stops working, the Gator is the backup ATV. I want to get it running again in case the main ATV breaks. The other day when I was turning the key to get it started, it was doing the noise like in the video, and then a loud POP! A very load bang or something like it backfired. When it was running, it smelled like go-carts or bumper cars because you could smell the gas when it was running. I'm dling the file right now. ....

View my Photos
spyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-15          169247

You said you'd checked the spark, so I assume you are getting a good solid blue spark. In that case I'd suspect the carburettor, particularly the float valve. There may be a bit of crud holding it open and causing the engine to flood.Maybe the valve is worn out. The manual has a section on this. At least it's something you can check without taking the engine out.
Good luck, and let us know how you get on...
Chaz ....

View my Photos
opti280

2010-03-17          169321

That manual looks pretty technical. The other guy I work with took the carburetor a part and put it back together and it still does the same thing. I'll look at that section and see if there's something I can do. And yes, a blue spark does appear when I check the spark.
Thanks! ....

View my Photos
spyder

2010-03-18          169334

Hmmmm.... seems logical to me that if it was running recently, and you have a good spark happening, then it's gotta be something to do with fuel. If you have a can of Engine Start or similar ether-in-a-can product, you could try a (small) squirt into the carburettor. If the engine fires, then it's pretty definitely a fuel-related problem. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login