Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere Gator water in the oil

View my Photos
coosarah
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-02-21          168726

Hi. I am new to this board. I have a 2008 Gator that gets water or something in the oil. Every 4 months or so it stops running and smokes unreal. When I check the oil the dipstick shows that the oil is half way up the stick and gray colored. I have the oil changed and all is fine until 4 months later when it does it again. I have no idea how this water can be getting into the oil? I never leave it outside and never went through a puddle the last time to see if that was how it was getting in and still it filled up again. I was wondering if anyone else also has this problem with their gator and if so how did they fix it? Thanks so much..

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-21          168727

It could be gasoline, it could be coolant. If you have a vacuum type fuel pump, a torn diaphragm will permit fuel to be sucked backwards into the crankcase. Next time this happens, drain it into a clear container if possible. Otherwise transfer the entire contents into something clear. Then let it settle for a couple days, hopefully what's not yet emulsified will separate. At that point you might be able to tell what's in the separated layers.

Alternatively, give the condition time to develop - then let the machine sit for at least a day. If lucky, the contents of the crankcase will separate. Water will go to the bottom. Loosen the drain plug carefully and see what drips out onto your finger. After one or both of these tests you may come away with a better idea whether to start troubleshooting the fuel system or the cooling system.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-21          168732

I'd assume a leaking head gasket, except that's rare on so new an engine. As for it being fuel, I'd assume it would burn off pretty fast, but Greg knows what he's talking about. ....

View my Photos
Donkeys

2010-10-29          174847

What type gator do you have?? I am Also having trouble with water in the oil!!! The company said we are putting the water in the gators LOL!! How would do that? after you spend 16,000 or more on this gators. mine are a gator tx 2x4 air cooled. one is a 2008 and the other is 2009 so both are on the new side. any one out there haveing the same trouble... Please Help.. ....

View my Photos
bassman

2010-10-29          174853

Are you having to add coolant? If not then i like the fuel theory the best. It seems you would miss that much coolant. ....

View my Photos
Donkeys

2010-10-29          174854

no coolant for this gator it is air cooled. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-10-29          174856

Can you physically see water in the oil, or is there milky deposits on the valve covers etc? Condensation forms normally inside an engine and normal engine heat usually takes care of it. But if the engine doesn't get up to operating temperature on a regular basis, the condensation builds up and causes milky deposits. Obviously it has to be that in an air cooled motor. Certainly no one is going to pour water into an air cooled motor. Deere has bulletins out on the problem, they say the motors have to be run hot to get the moisture out of them. Short trips and light use evidently is not good for them. I have an XUV and have the radiator almost completely blocked off but neither the red light nor the fan ever comes on. Too much cooling system. It's hard to get it up to operating temp to get the heater to work. ....

View my Photos
Donkeys

2010-11-24          175328

Can you tell me where to find the bulletins on the problem that i am having.the oil was changed on the 29th of october and we have water again. and i called the dealer and they are still saying that we are adding water to the oil !!!!Thanks :( ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-11-26          175348

There were, I believe, three bullitens. I don't have them because I got a virus in my computer and had to junk it, so I lost all my prior emails. They all boiled down to condensation, not getting the motor hot enough to burn it off. If you think about it, you are getting water in the oil and you aren't dumping it in there the motor must be making it. The only way a motor can make it is condensation. At least an air cooled motor. I'm sure different conditions ( heat, humidity, driving habits, etc. ) are going to govern how much is in the motor, but I believe it's in every motor. Think about an air cooled motor, It is designed to cool itself under the harshest conditions, right from the moment you start it up, which means it would take a long time to get the head and jug hot. It's not like it has a thermostat in the air flow. So if you have a big temperature difference in the motor, condensation is going to form, and if you don't run it long enough to create heat throughout the motor it won't burn off. If I had your Gator I would block off, or partially block off, the air outlet beside the jug and see if you notice a difference in the water build up, I bet you will. I think that different motor oils have an effect on the amount present too, but I can't tell you which oils are better. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-11-26          175349

Maybe an easier way is start taping up the flywheel screen and limit the intake. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-11-26          175365

If my dealer was to tell me I was adding water to the oil I certainly would know there was a need to change dealer.

Just as I sent my message above a thought hit me but certainly not likely for two of you, by chance could someone else be adding water to the oil trying to damage your Gator? ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2010-11-29          175413

This may be a long shot but it may help to preheat air into the intake. My thinking is the warmer intake air may allow the engine to run warmer or the condensation that you are getting may be coming from the intake manifold.

I have an older Cub-Cadet lawn tractor that would just dump fuel through it in cold weather and found out that the carb actually froze up (accumulated frost on the outside) and the float would stick in the up position.

Suggest fabricating a shroud around the exhaust manifold that forms something like a "C" for about a 4-6" length. In the middle, cut a hole and weld in a nipple projects away that fits to a piece of metal flex tubing. Make a bracket that holds the shroud away from the exhaust manifold/muffler about 1/2" away and secure it to some existing bolt near the mounting point. The hose will be secured to the tubing with a hose clamp. Cut a similar hole in the side of the air cleaner housing and weld a projecting nipple to it. Connect the other end of the flex hose to it with another hose clamp. I chose about a 1 1/4- 1 1/2 diameter aluminum flex tubing.

View my Photos
coosarah

2010-11-29          175415

Hi all.. I thank you all so much for your advice and help. I am the one who first asked about the problem with my Gator. I did as you said and it is for sure gas in the oil. I need to have the oil changed every month because it will start smoking so badly and just stop running. I will get it restarted and it burns off enough to work fine again for a few days. I was told not to use it with the gas in the oil so have it changed again. This is just crazy when you spend $13,000.00 on one and they will not help me fix it. I use it every day with my horses and would be lost without it and no help from good ole JD. Mine is a 4X4... ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2010-11-29          175417

I suspected that it may be gas in the oil. The oil looks an odd color almost muddy. It lights easily with a match. When my Cadet had problems, it would run until the sump would get way overfull til it choked itself. It would sometimes run through a tankfull of gas in 15 minutes. There are several possibilities which are not that expensive to fix.

1.Your carb float or needle valve may be sticking or remain open and it is flooding the engine.
2.If it is a diaphragm style fuel pump it has a tear in it allowing fuel to pass over into the oil chamber.
3. If you are overfilling the oil level or driving diagonally over a sharp decline or ditchbank it could be sucking in more fuel.
4.Carb icing as I mentioned previously is another possiblity. ....

View my Photos
jlames

2011-01-03          176186

I'm not certain if mine is a parallel track but recently I've begun experiencing total loss of rpm and power when the engine gets loaded up either by an incline or through deep, resistant snow on the property. The revs go down, acceleration quits and the tail pipe starts billowing white smoke. Let it go back to idle and nurse it along in neutral to stabilize the power band, put it in FWD and it's fine until the next incline or obstacle. Billowing white smoke and loss of power. Any ideas? Oh, and the oil looks clear and not milky as is usually the case w/ h20 in the oil. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2011-01-03          176189

Jlames,

Check, clean, and/or change your fuel filter. Sounds like a typical case of fuel starvation.

There's likely just enough fuel getting through the filter to keep your tractor running, but not enough to provide you with full engine power.

Fuel filters should be cleaned or replaced about (check your manual) every 100 hours of operation, under normal operating conditions.

Joel ....

View my Photos
jlames

2011-01-03          176190

Thanks Joel. My first move in the morning. ....

View my Photos
jlames

2011-01-04          176217

Rather a combination of some factors. The Gator only has 83 hours on it but being used in the dusty environment of the ranch, fine dust gets in EVERYWHERE and the fuel filter was no exception. (Note: Dumbest connectors on the fuel filter I've ever seen. Effective but Rube Goldberg!!!) And a combination of less than quality fuel (thanks alot ARCO) with higher than average ethanol and water. Drain the tank of ARCO I just put in and add 5 gal of good old hi-octane Shell and she runs like a top. You learn something new every day so thanks Joel and everyone else on this board who have really interesting and knowlegable information to share. So thank you all ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2011-01-04          176218

Jlames,

Being that the conditions in your area are so dusty, you may want to schedule a periodic cleaning of the fuel tank. Also, you may need to increase the frequency of the fuel filter changes.

Now....if the connectors on the fuel tank are anything like the ones on the fuel filter.....well, maybe not. LOL.

Glad you got it going again. Thanks for letting us know how we're doing.

Joel ....

View my Photos
budzosmom

2014-06-07          190448

Hello,
First time on Tractorpoint. I have a HPX Gator 4x4 gas.
I have already taken the steps I read in your post. The oil did not separate. I definitely have gas in my oil. I am also wondering if the electric fuel pump should run continuously or if it should pump up and stop with the key in the on position?

I would truly be grateful for any input.

Thank You,

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login