Go Bottom Go Bottom

e gator power

View my Photos
rbobcat
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-04-23          153196

hi everyone just bought used e gator out of local auction.good battery life but travels to fast for size of property. also property has hill so when loaded lacks bottom end power. can machine be geared lower. or change wiring to gear lower. As well how do you tell year of machine. and where to get manual.All help much appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

e gator power

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-04-23          153197

RBob; I think I've owned every series Gator that Deere built except the tricycle type, but you are losing me with the term "E Gator". Did they build an electric powerd one that I haven't heard of maybe? Take the serial number to any Deere dealer for model and year identification, they can also order you an owners manual. Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

e gator power

View my Photos
oregonpharmer

2008-04-23          153208

I believe that John Deere discontinued the E-Gator after a run of a few for a promotional program, but may be wrong.

I have only seen one, and it in a dealer show a year or so back.

For some reason I was thinking the one I saw had a low range selector so you could choose between hard flat surfaces and turf, so a John Deere dealer is likely the best way to get some good information.

If it is like most electric powered rigs, it will have a chain drive from the motor. If that is the case, you can install a larger secondary sprocket and gear it down.

e gator power

View my Photos
oregonpharmer

2008-04-23          153209

I did a bit of digging and found the E-Gator bit the dust in the US and Canada about 1999 and is now the TE-Gator elsewhere. They are now a direct drive 48 volt unit, with a single speed geared transaxle. As far as I know they are only currently sold in Australia and New Zealand.

You can get the specs from John Deere's Australia site.

If the dealer cannot help, then one of the electric vehicle kit manufacturers would have the regulation systems needed to slow it down, and may have a more powerful motor kit that would help the hills. ....

e gator power

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-04-23          153211

Oregon' Thanks for all the info on the E-Gator. I thought I had kept up to date on all the Gators, but I missed that one. Frank. ....

e gator power

View my Photos
rbobcat

2008-04-24          153212

Thanks for your help there were 3 of them in the auction from a golf course. hope i haven,t paid to much. live and maybe learn

e gator power

View my Photos
oregonpharmer

2008-04-24          153227

I doubt you paid too much. I have a friend that is in to the electric vehicle thing, and he says that the E-Gator is one of the best and will likely never wear out. ....

e gator power

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-04-24          153231

Oregon; I don't really want or need one, but you've got my curosity up. Tell us a bit mopre about them like payload capacity, range on a full charge, etc. Thanks. Frank. ....

e gator power

View my Photos
IceCold

2008-05-04          153440

I AM LOOKING FOR AN E GATOR. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE A USED ONE IS FOR SALE? ....

e gator power

View my Photos
chuckv
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-16          154652

I might be interested in selling mine if the price were right. It is a '99 with about 1020 hours, fresh batteries about two years ago and new tires all around this year. It has replacement seats also. It has a cab with glass windshield and a power dump bed with liner. Also has the front brush guard and the rear receiver hitch. body is good for this age vehicle (decals peeling at places and scratches on the plastic hood.) Have the 244 page technical manual, TM 1766 and also one for the Curtis motor controller.

The local dealer has several listed for over $6000
http://www.lenonimplement.com/hillsboro/search.php?Category=110&Subcategory=160
but I would be asking about half that...

They do seem to go for more than the gas versions, and you can use them inside buildings, etc.

Chuck ....

e gator power

View my Photos
IceCold

2008-06-16          154655

Can you send me a photo of your e -gator?

Thanks! ....

e gator power

View my Photos
chuckv
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-16          154657

IceCold,

I am new here on this forum and don't seem to be able to send you a private message. I am also not certain how to post an image in these discussion threads. I did post it to my "picture1" (avatar location in an album) so let's see if it can be seen that way.

If you are a fully subscribed member to this site, perhaps you can send me a private e-mail and we can converse off line on the subject.

Chuck

e gator power

View my Photos
IceCold

2008-06-17          154666

How much are you willing to sell your gator for? What are the condition of the batteries?

Thanks,
L. Davis

e gator power

View my Photos
chuckv

2008-06-17          154668

IceCold,

I would consider $3000 a fair price. It has several options such as the cab, front brush guard and the power cargo bed lift, plus new tires with less than 20 hours on them. The batteries are in good shape and I have a spare in fair shape from another RV use that is identical to the eight that are in the Gator. You can see a half dozen similar E-Gators for sale on Machine Finder:
http://www.machinefinder.com/results.html?ticket=b2f56c7df5881975424f7877c54bbe5af6072b1b&jdeere_dealer_id=0&pageseq=850050&intRedir=1213730830.5680571
but none of them have all these options or new tires, and they are in the center of the country, not here on the west coast. The asking prices for them average above $3500 and most have more hours than mine.

You can e-mail me at chuck.vandusen@verizon.net for more information...

Chuck ....

e gator power

View my Photos
IceCold

2008-06-21          154753

I sent you an email and it cam e back.

Can you send more photos of the truck bed and battery compartment.

Thanks,
LD ....

e gator power

View my Photos
chuckv

2008-06-21          154754

IceCold,

I will take some more pictures and post them here (or send them to you if you let me know the e-mail address.) I should have the pictures and will include close-ups of the hour meter and the tire tread by this afternoon - just have to move things around in the garage. Since I have owned it it has always been stored inside.

I can't say why the mail to me bounced -- be sure to use a "dot" between my first and last names as shown here:

chuck.vandusen@verizon.net

You might just copy and paste that address line in your mailer...

Chuck ....

e gator power

View my Photos
chuckv

2008-06-21          154763

IceCold,

Several pictures have been added to my album -- I think that you can see them by clicking on the thumbnail on any of my messages. If you need higher resolution images, just let me know where to e-mail them...

Chuck ....

e gator power

View my Photos
greg11

2010-06-07          171399

I have an e-gator with a bad motor controll can you help with your manuals ....

e gator power

View my Photos
chuckv

2010-06-07          171400

Greg,

What kind of issue are you chasing? The Curtis controller manual is about a megabyte, the parts catalog for the E-Gator from Deere is almost 2 MB, and the TM from Deere is over 21 MB, so identifying an appropriate excerpt would certainly help.

Send me an e-mail or provide your contact particulars and we can take this off-forum...

Chuck ....

e gator power

View my Photos
greg11

2010-08-20          173312

sorry i have not answered before now. but my controller will work fine for 15 or 20 min. then it will lock up. i can then flip my service switch or disconett a battrey cable and let it set for a few hours and it will be ok for another 15 or 20. ....

e gator power

View my Photos
chuckv

2010-08-24          173430

Greg,

Sounds like an overload condition is causing the controller to go into a protection mode, and removing power momentarily will reset it. If you can't find an external reason for the overload, you may need a new controller and it will be expensive!!

Chuck ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login