Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 445 Runs Rich but Only under Light Load

View my Photos
JLMiller
Posts: 32 Deerfield or Sanford, wherever the weather's nicer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2019-06-02          198457

I recently noticed that my 1998 JD 445 runs normally under nearly all conditions (slow, medium, & full throttle idle; full throttle medium load with mower engaged; and full throttle heavy load with mower engaged, traveling, and mowing). Under light load (full throttle, mower disengaged, traveling) it hunts or surges and blows some black smoke.

I checked the fuel pressure and flow rate. Both were well into the normal range. I replaced the fuel and air filters just on principle. Nothing changed.

I've gone through all the tests for the air temp, coolant temp, and MAP sensors. Resistance values are close to spec, and all the sensors respond properly: for the temp sensors, resistance goes down with increased temperature; for the MAP sensor, output voltage is near 5v under ambient conditions and drops with increased vacuum.

I disconnected one sensor at a time, and the injection status indicator light displayed the correct long / short blink sequences for each one. The one thing I did notice is that previously, if I started the engine during the initial 2-second fuel pressurization, I'd get a long-long-short-short blink sequence. Now, even if I start the engine with no initial pause, I don't get that indication.

Please tell me that I'm not looking at a fuel injection control module replacement to the tune of over $1.2K.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
BigBoyBob
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2020-04-15          199082

Did you ever resolve this, excellent post on the topic. $1200 for that module ouch is that like over 25% of the cost of that tractor new? ....

View my Photos
JLMiller
Posts: 32 Deerfield or Sanford, wherever the weather's nicer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2020-04-20          199087

After a couple of weeks of troubleshooting with no indication of specific fault, the problem disappeared, the tractor behaving normally for the rest of the season. If it's not broke, you can't (or shouldn't) fix it. It's put up for winter now; I'll see what happens this spring. ....

View my Photos
BigBoyBob
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2020-04-20          199090

Anything that goes away on its own is great. Now that it is gone through winter storage I would be sure to use fresh fuel. Best of luck ! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login