Go Bottom Go Bottom

Anyone use a Jinma chipper

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-18          66551

I am toying with the idea of getting a chipper. The good American made chippers (Bearcat, Harper-Goosen, Valby) are all in the $3000-3500 range for something that will chip 5+ inches. Most of the chinese tractor dealers are selling a Jinma chipper which claims up to 6" capacity, power feed, and a blower for less than $2000. Does anyone here have any experience with these chippers? We are in the process of thinning our heavily overgrown woods and my wife is complaining of all the smoke from burning but I need to watch the budget. Most of the 4" or larger stuff is firewood, but I'm thinking of chipping the rest.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
josths
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-23          66898

Check out DR Chipper (drchipper.com).

I just got the PTO model and it works beyond my expectations. Cost including shipping was around $ 1,800. It has taken 98% of all the storm and hurricane damage we have fed through it (takes up to 4 1/2 inch es). ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-23          66902

I got a literature packet from DR on their chipper and it looked OK but it doesn't have a blower. I had discounted it because it seemed a little light duty for my needs - the flywheel is pretty light and it has only a single cutting edge. I could be wrong though. We need to thin a lot of trees (~1000) so I want something that will last.

How easy is it to feed wood into it? Does it self-feed very well or do you have to shove stuff through it? When feeding branches do you have to cut them down to a single stalk first? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-27          67285

I've decided to gamble on the purchase of a Jinma chipper. There are a couple of guys on the chinese tractor board who have used them and think they are great chippers even though they are inexpensive. They are simple with most parts readily available. Apparently the weakest think about them is the belt on the mechanical power feed. If you keep the belts adjusted and spare belts on hand they should be pretty reliable. It's quite a deal - I'm getting it for $1760 delivered 75 miles, which includes a spare set of blades. This sucker is heavy - nearly 900 lbs. The cheapest comparable name brand chipper/blower I could find was a bearcat at $1300 more with only 4.5" capacity instead of 6". ....

View my Photos
Brent hauver

2003-11-25          69629

Would a Jinma Chipper chip and shredd up Palm fronds? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-25          69630

Palm fronds have a lot of strong fibers in them. I don't know if they will chip well and I sure wouldn't want to buy one without trying first. As an uneducated chipper neophyte, my guess is that the fibers may cause some problems. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-26          69675

We routinely have to deal with Palm fronds.

No chipper or shredder we have found yet does much to them unless they are absolutely dry, even then it's a gamble.

We use a tub grinder, which is not practical for the avarege person.

The best thing we have found for dealing with them so far is a match.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-26          69682

Murf, where are you having to deal with palm fronds in Canada? I did not think it was possible to grow palms that far north unless they are moved or grown indoors. Love to watch that "Tim Allen" Cummins powered tub grinder though! Arrrrrghh, Arrrrgggghhh, Arrrrggghhhh! ;-) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-26          69695

Chief, we work on golf courses and resorts all throughout the islands, during the summer we stay local, but in the winter we rotate the staff between 'down south' jobs and snow removal. A couple of weeks frozen, then a couple of weeks sweating. The difference between the US & Canuck buck makes our prices really attractive. Kind of a twisted benifits program for the employees.

The grinder is a real peice of work, it takes 4 BIG stumps at once to fill the tub and the conveyor on the output side will fill a tandem dump truck about every 10 minutes.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DIYGuy

2003-12-21          71876

Story and PICs on the Chinese Tractor section of my website.

WWW.DIYQuest.com

DIYGuy (MarkS) ....

View my Photos
jorgy1

2005-03-08          107522

Now that you have had time to consider all the pro and con on the Jinma chipper, do you think it is a good chipper for farm use or just to much maintance to be worth the trouble? Are you still using yours regularly? Any advice for someone thinking of buying one? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-03-09          107644

I'm not sure who your question is addressing, but I will offer my thoughts. I found the Jinma not to be quite enough chipper for MY needs. That would also be true of any other 6" chipper, so it's not a knock against the Jinma. I bought a Bandit 150 tow-behind 12" capacity machine that is quite a bit more chipper, and 10 times more expensive. That said, the Jinma requires a few minor tweaks to get working reliably and then works great. Yes, it requires some maintenance, but that is also true of any other comparable chipper. I actually could use both chippers but don't currently have room to store the Jinma so I'm selling it. If offered a Jinma or a comparable Bearcat or Valby for the same price I'd go Bearcat or Valby, but with a $2-4k price difference the Jinma is a heck of a value. ....

View my Photos
gscott

2005-03-29          108966

Hey kwschumm-

I'm looking around for PTO driven chippers for my 42 hp diesel tractor. I see you initially wanted to chip less than 4", since larger than that could be firewood. My sentiments exactly. Now I see you have a 12" machine, and the Jinma was not enough for 'your' needs. So, did your needs change to larger size, or is the Jinma 6 unable to handle 4-5 inch stock?

I would be chipping Doug fir, maple, Cedar or Alder. Would you recommend the Jinma? I have a dealer not too far from here...

Thanks-

Gscott ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-03-29          109004

GScott, I upsized to the 12" Bandit from the 6" Jinma for a few reasons.

1. We have a lot more Noble firs than I initially thought. These are fairly big, some maybe 24" in diameter, but the punky wood makes lousy firewood so they need to be disposed of. We chip most of 'em and burn the stuff too big for the chipper.

2. I liked the tow behind unit better because I can park it and use the tractor w/grapple to bring material to the chipper.

3. After a long day of chipping the hydraulic, reversible feed rollers on the bandit leave me a lot less tired than the mechanical roller on the Jinma. There's a lot of shoving on the Jinma when feeding brush (probably true of most chippers in that class).

4. The Jinma has a tendency to clog on wet material, so when it's wet you need to feed it very slowly.

I'm selling my Jinma if you're interested. I'd sort of like to keep it but realistically won't be using it much anymore. ....

View my Photos
gscott

2005-03-30          109074

Hi Ken, I think that's right.

I did find your review of this chipper after my post. Very helpful. Sounds like these are pretty finicky, and I get the impression may not be the best way to go for heavy or long-term use. I see you have done much modification and maintenance with yours. I am undecided I guess. In general I agree with the old 'you get what you pay for'.

That said, I would like to talk with you about the one you have for sale. With the modis you've made it may be a good value for my needs. I have modified my profile to allow private messages, send me an email if you'd like to follow up. ....

View my Photos
grf2k4

2005-04-19          110113

I just bought one, hooked it up and it worked great. Big, solid, basic... just my style. I stopped by a dealer to look at a boxblade on the way home and saw the Bearcat, which was going for around $3k. Smaller, twice the price, hardly seemed worth it. I paid $1495 plus tax for the Jinma. ....

Link:   CustermtnFarm

Picture Link
Jinma Farmpro Agracat Nortrac Anyone use a Jinma chipper

View my Photos
scooby7

2007-03-29          140836

I'm thinking of getting a chipper but I need a 6" or larger. All the used ones I've found are in the far n/e or n/w and as I live in texas, the shipping would be too expensive. You posted you had a jinma that you might want to sell. if you or anyone has a used 6" or larger that is resanable priced, please let me know.
Also, can you tell me more about the jinma chipper? You stated that with some fine tuning it works good. What did you mean? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-03-29          140844

My chipper sold quite awhile ago. Here's a link to some mods I made on the chipper. You mike poke around in the wood chippers forum for quite a few references to the Jinma chipper. The weakest part of the Jinma is the universal joints on either end of the drive shaft driving the feed roller gearbox. Those joints slip onto square drive shafts and they have a tendency to slip and around off the shafts. If nothing else you should drill and tap a set screw into those universals so they bite onto the square drive and keep them from slipping. ....

Link:   Jinma chipper mods

View my Photos
grf2k4

2007-03-30          140849

Paid about $1600 for it. The only flaw is the feeding system. As long you feed it smoothly it's fine. Jar it too much and the knuckle joint and belt come apart. Cuts up to six inches as advertised. Seems there is a lot of potential for injury if you don't maintain it.... keep the bolts tightened, etc. ....

View my Photos
affordable

2007-03-30          140873

We have been selling the Jinma chippers for years with little or no problems.The only problem with them has been the feed knuckle ($18.00) or the feed belt ( $14.00)So if you can save $ 2,000-3,000 dollars and replace these parts if they broke? That would still be a bargain.We have some customers that have done nothing but run them.If you want to buy a competitive 6" woodchipper witha feed roller for $ 1,600.00 plus shipping look hard at the Jinmas.We also keep all the replacement parts in stock .

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
Bellville,Texas 77418 ....

Link:   Website

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-03-30          140880

The Jinma certainly gives a lot of bang for the buck but don't expect the feed roller to work nearly as well as a hydraulic feed. ....

View my Photos
ryanjobs

2007-09-12          145652

Liberty Chippers sells a good PTO Wood Chipper that is basically just an upgraded version of the Jinma. I used mine to clear a ton of brush and branches from my property this summer. ....

Link:   Liberty Chippers

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-09-12          145653

It looks like a standard unmodified Jinma. What did they upgrade? ....

View my Photos
ryanjobs

2007-09-13          145676

I believe they almost completely overhauled the internal components of the chipper. The Jinma chipper is a good design but the factories never stop cutting corners to save money so the chippers end up with weak joints, cheap oil, and screws/nuts/bolts that strip, break, and come loose far too easily. Here are a couple of the modifications. Basically, the way these factories work is that if you don't have your own people/factory with complete control over product, corners will be cut and the units will be unreliable. Liberty has their own production facility allowing them to not be at the mercy of the Chinese factories who cut corners at any opportunity.

1) Modified worm reduction gearbox so that you can easily view gear oil levels w/o taking apart the chipper
2) Upgraded the drive shaft joint which breaks constantly on most Jinmas (I attached a picture of the new drive shaft joint versus the old one)
3) Used upgraded bolts/nuts on virtually every part of the chipper, preventing them from wiggling loose as happens on standard Jinmas.
4) Replaced all the cheap oil with a high performance alternative.
5) Added access holes in various parts of the chipper to make swapping out parts easier.
6) I don't really know what else, but my understanding is that lots of things were tweaked and improved.

Checkout libertychippers.com/driveshaft1.jpg, libertychippers.com/driveshaft2.jpg,libertychippers.com/driveshaft3.jpg,libertychippers.com/driveshaft4.jpg ....

Link:   Liberty Wood Chippers

Picture Link
Jinma Farmpro Agracat Nortrac Anyone use a Jinma chipper

View my Photos
Venture93

2008-03-10          152059

The improvement actually is quite brilliant, i have added it to my Jinma chipper. The pipe bar extending downward from the back gives a foot operated feed roller release, pressing down on it raises the feed roller manually. The clutch dog type disconnect for the feed roller doesn't work under load when you need it most. I use my improvement constantly to let the rpm's catch up and to adjust something that is not feeding quite right. This should be a factory improvement, doing away with the clutch dog disconnect would make the feed stronger. Beside the factory lever for stopping the feed roller simply doesn't work under a load. I designed mine a little differently using the same idea with the ability to adjust the whole thing upward with chain links, works flawlessly. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-03-18          152247

I found to my relief that the hitch on my little 22HP tractor would lift it OK, but winter arrived before I could chip much. My impression from setting it up was that it was designed and assembled by a high-school shop class: can't take anything for granted, like everything's mated properly and there's oil in the gearbox. ....

View my Photos
trekkertje

2008-03-30          152595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture93 | view 152059
The improvement actually is quite brilliant, i have added it to my Jinma chipper. The pipe bar extending downward from the back gives a foot operated feed roller release, pressing down on it raises the feed roller manually. The clutch dog type disconnect for the feed roller doesn't work under load when you need it most. I use my improvement constantly to let the rpm's catch up and to adjust something that is not feeding quite right. This should be a factory improvement, doing away with the clutch dog disconnect would make the feed stronger. Beside the factory lever for stopping the feed roller simply doesn't work under a load. I designed mine a little differently using the same idea with the ability to adjust the whole thing upward with chain links, works flawlessly.

recently bought a jenma chipper expierenced the same problems as posted on this forum. the feeding driveshaft knuckle broke yesterday and that was the end of my chipping.
venture93 could you please give me more information on your mods as described above please so I can modify my chipper.
paul
the netherlands ....

View my Photos
Venture93

2008-03-30          152597

Earlier in this forum somebody else posted a picture of his version on the "foot release", i started with that picture and adapted it for materials on hand. His was welded in a fixed position, i hinged mine so it could be raised for uneven ground or travel. I can take a picture and add it to this site if it will help. Still think the feed is the likely weakest point and will probably remove the factory in/out clutch dog arrangement should i have a failure. That would allow for a slightly longer driveshaft with u-joints. But at this point i have generated quite a few cubic yards of chips with no malfunctions. Hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
trekkertje

2008-03-30          152600

thnx very much venture
found the post you mentioned but it would certainly help if you could add a picture of your hinged version if that is not too much trouble. Found out that the feed knuckles can be replaced with proper parts. just find the parts and some welding seems to do the job. there is a video on youtube featuring just that mod ( watch?v=Od0mElAjmMg ) anyway i am a lot further in restoring life to my chipper.

paul the netherlands

View my Photos
Venture93

2008-04-01          152655

There are 3 pictures now attached to my above post, hope it helps. Started by simply welding 1/2 nuts on the side tubes, then 2 half chain links at the back. Paint match is Massey Ferguson Red. ....

View my Photos
1whoknows

2009-04-20          162198

I have one. Got it for 800 a few years ago on Ebay. Cost another 800 to get it shipped to me from Jinma, China. Still way cheaper than the locally produced ones of similar size and way more capable than the 4" DR type of similar price. Big downside and surprise was it arrived 60% unassembled and the instructions were not good ones. The delivery man simply left the crate in my driveway, about 800 pounds. Up side was my JD 770 loader (with a brace and a hook welded to the bucket) was quite capable of picking it up once a chain was wrapped around the crate. Second item of good news was finding a website with step-by-step assembly pictures that could be downloaded and color printed as a do it yourself guide. There was some concern over the 40 HP requirement on the instructions, but both my Farmall C, and the JD 770 were/are enough power to work it. Each is a 20 HP unit. The unit works well, about as well as their video of the guy feeding a board shows. There is no blower on mine. Since there is no emergency cut off switch, I do endorse using the lower end of the horsepower range. I can (barely) pull a 4 x 4 log back out of it, and am not sure this would be true were I battling a 40+HP machine. It has been about 4 years now. There are some hidden zerks that have to be lubricated now and then. Knife blade replacement (every mile or so of lumber) requires dis assembly and is a pain. Yes, the tractor PTO powers a multiple belted pulley. Belts can go bad now and then. Buy some spares and tuck them away. There is a smaller belt in the rear to turn the feeder. Green vine fragments can find their way to this area and cause clogs, but periodic shut downs and 3 minutes with a pair of long nose pliers plucks the vine fragments out. Dry vines don't seem to be a problem. Dead brush chips better than green stuff. Fragments with new blades are almost a powder, most 1/8 inch or smaller. As the blades dull (about 18 hours of steady use) the chips climb up to 1/4 square, then with another 3 8 hour days of chipping we start seeing 2 inch strips of bark. Time to replace or sharpen the blades (available from several online sources). I consider the wind when I use it as lots of the stuff comes out as fine sawdust and nothing like inhaling powdered poison ivy vines to teach you to stand upwind of the chute next time. My biggest complaint is that the discharge chute was flimsy and some sheet metal required a little beefing up with my MIG welder. A picture of it on my JD 770 in one of my forest clearings is attached.

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/superc_2006/DSC00832.jpg[/IMG] ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login