Go Bottom Go Bottom

2003 Farmpro 2420 Water in Oil

View my Photos
The5zops
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-06-23          184006

I just bought a 2003 farm pro 2420 with only 249 hours on it and the radiator was empty so I added water and antifreeze . I was using the tractor and it suddenly stalled.I noticed it was blowing oil from the holes in the oil cap and the oil was grey. The tractor was able to restart to get back to the barn can someone please tell me what the problem may be ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-06-24          184007

I'd say best case scenario would be a bad head gasket. Too many first-time owners - for whatever reason - fail to perform the 50 hour maintenance which includes re-torquing the head bolts. Hopefully that's all it is. Because we could also be talking about warped head, cracked block, etc.

I can understand if someone had given you this tractor for free. But you used the word "bought". I would think basic things like checking fluids and starting the engine would come BEFORE the sale.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-06-24          184008

Especially if the dipstick reads high, I'd suspect the engine had overheated (for any of a number of reasons), which damaged the head gasket and/or warped the head, which allowed the coolant to pass into the engine, which overfilled (and degraded) the engine oil. ....

View my Photos
The5zops

2012-06-24          184010

I did check the fluids and run it before I bought it and it ran fine I have never had a tractor but seeing so many old ones around I didn't!t figure I would have to go and tighten every single nut and bolt on it before it could be put into use . ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-06-24          184011

Well, never having owned a tractor before explains a lot. If you thought everything was fine when you bought it, then who do you figure is to blame for the current situation? And yes, there are lots of old tractors still around. But did you see many old Chinese tractors among them? You can be reasonably sure that most of those old tractors that you did see, were owned by folks who understand and provide the necessary care and feeding

Treat this as a learning experience, and we'll help you with the diagnosis and (hopefully) repair. So. You've already described grey oil (that's typical of water contamination) and wet blowby. What do you see when you take off the valve cover? What comes out on your finger when you stick it into the coolant?

//greg//

View my Photos
The5zops

2012-06-24          184013

This post is to ask for help not to be told how friggin stupid I am for not ever owning a tractor or being a tractor mechanic so you can take your personal bashing post and put them where the sun don!t shine . ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-06-24          184014

He sometimes gets a bee up his butt, but his answers are considered, articulate and detailed, and nobody knows Chinese tractors better. Just take the bad with the good. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-06-24          184015

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5zops | view 184013
This post is to ask for help not to be told how friggin stupid I am for not ever owning a tractor or being a tractor mechanic so you can take your personal bashing post and put them where the sun don!t shine .
Your loss. Would I be wrong in guessing that you didn't read all the way through both Operation & Maintenance manuals before putting the tractor to work?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2012-06-25          184020

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5zops | view 184006
I just bought a 2003 farm pro 2420 with only 249 hours .......

Hi, sorry to hear of the problems you are having with your tractor purchase. I have been running this site since 1998, and in 1998 I don't think we had any discussions on Chinese tractors. When the first Chinese tractors started landing here, the low price attracted buyers as sometimes they were half the price of the Kubota or comparable John Deere Tractor.

But then the problems would start coming in. It seemed the Chinese tractors required the owner to have a much higher mechanical knowledge, a desire to tinker, and a much more active role in keeping the beast running.

This was unheard of in the Kubota and Deere tractors, which required little and just the basics of fluid changes.

So for those of us who have been following the Chinese Tractors on TP, the assumption is that if you are buying a Chinese tractor you need to be an ace mechanic, and you plan on tinkering with it on a regular basis.

Greg has gone through Chinese Tractor ownership, and is an expert on their care and nurturing. He has helped so many Chinese tractor owners we have lost count, you would be wise to avail yourself of his assistance.

Dennis

View my Photos
The5zops

2012-06-25          184021

I dont mind getting help from anyone that's why I posted the message I just don't feel like I need to be belittled for not knowing much about tractors.Thats why I was asking for help.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2012-06-25          184023

You see to Greg and the rest of us who have followed the Chinese Tractor market, only a tractor expert mechanic should buy a Chinese Tractor. If you are not an expert you need Gregs help desparately, and then you might think about selling it and getting a John Deere, Kubota, New Holland, Kioti, Cub Cadet .....if you want to run a tractor with very little trouble.

Just my opinion! ....

View my Photos
The5zops

2012-06-25          184024

Ok thanks ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This