Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rebuild Yang Dong Y385 Tractor Engine Settings Manual

View my Photos
Terrymc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-11-25          167030

I am in the process of rebuilding my Yang dong Y385 engine can any body help me with a operation & maintenance manual or the settings for Cylinder head tensions and big end caps Timing etc

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-11-25          167031

Cylinder head bolts 160 Nm (~118 ft-lb)
The following are listed for the Y485, but it's a Y85 manual. Stands to reason then, that they apply to the Y385 as well. Only physical difference between the two engines is one cylinder.
Main bearing cap bolts 185 Nm (~136 ft-lb)
Connecting rod bolts 120 Nm (~89 ft-lb)
Flywheel bolts 65 Nm (~48 ft-lb)
all values are +/- 10 Nm (~7 ft-lb)

Bell housing bolts don't have a torque spec, but several owners have found them to vibrate loose. LockTite is recommended.

//greg//

View my Photos
springcity

2009-12-04          167195

Rebuilding the 3 cylinder Y385 engine
Wow your torques spec are far bigger than mine.
I received the following from Northern tool.
Main bearing housing bolts 65-75 Ft/lbs
Flywheel bolts 65-90ft/lbs
Cylinder head bolts 75-95 ft/lbs
Connecting Rod Bolts 65-75 ft/lbs
Rocker Arms bolts 14-16 ft/lbs
intake and exhaust 12/14 ft/lbs
Hydraulic Pump 12-14 ft/lbs
I believe the torque spec you are using are for the 35 Plus horsepower engines. Not being critical, just concerned for I am rebuilding the same 3 cyl. Y385
I have also had the bell housing bolts vibrate loose, so I agree loctite all the bolts. There should be more engine specs information on the internet but for the life of me I haven't found much. This engine has been produced since 1999 and it the biggest engine producer in China. It worries me that we have such different torque values for the same engine. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-12-04          167196

Quote:
Originally Posted by springcity | view 167195
I believe the torque spec you are using are for the 35 Plus horsepower engines.
No, the numbers are directly out of the YangDong Y85 engine operations and maintenance manual. There has been talk in the past that Northern converted the metric numbers incorrectly in one or more of their early manuals. The same talk indicated that corrections were likely written into in a later manual. But since this is 2nd hand info, you might want to phone them before you get too far into your rebuild.

My YangDong manuals are titled Y85, because they cover both the Y385 and Y485. Other than the fact that one is a 3 cylinder and one is a 4 cylinder, they're the same basic engine. I previously owned two Y385T-powered tractors (circa 1999-2001), and currently own one Y485T (2006) and a FD395 (2004).

//greg// ....

View my Photos
yangdong

2010-04-13          169970

Torque specs, for Y385 as given to me by JM Parts.com....
I used these specs in a build, and these are the results. All specs in Foot Poundsrather than Newton Meters.

Flywheel 36-44 Foot Pounds---About Right
Head 110-125 ---------- 125 is close to the failure point of bolts
Rod 36-44-------------About Right.. Note-for this bolt diameter,
80 foot pounds or so will ruin the bolts
Mains 81-95----------- Don't know, didn't change the mains.

Please be patient when researching data, and it might be wise to compare
torques and bolt diameters for high test bolts with fine threads, to see if the
specs seem right to you. The head and rod bolts are not marked with numbers to indicate their tensile strength, but I would assume they are high test. ....

View my Photos
harpojake

2012-01-06          181929

does anyone know what kind of compression readings i should get on a y385? and has anyone experienced a 385 that wont start and sucks your hand to the exhaust pipe when cranking? i have no broken timing gears and the camshaft key is in tact. thanks for your info

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-01-06          181930

1. Compression ratio is 22:1 and 22 atmospheres = 323 psi.
2. Pretty sure most Jinma owners have had difficulty starting at one time or another, we'd need more details to help troubleshoot.
3. Aggressive intake vacuum is normal for diesels.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
richwaugh

2012-01-06          181932

Greg,

He said that the engine sucked his hand to the EXHAUST pipe. I've no idea how that could happen unless the exhaust valve(s) was open on the intake stroke while the intake valve was closed. Normal valve timing would have the exhaust valve open on the piston's upstroke, not the downstroke, right? So either the cam is wacky or the crankshaft is in upside down (joke).

In any event, it is going to be necessary to pull the valve cover and observe the actual valve action when the engine is cranking. Something is obviously very wrong. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-01-07          181933

My mistake on the exhaust versus intake, sorry. The muffler will suck air if one or more exhaust valves are stuck open for any reason. I'm guessing that's why you asked about the compression test.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Grampsinnm

2012-01-08          181941

Is it feasible the engine is turning over backwards? Like being wired backwards. ....

View my Photos
harpojake

2012-01-08          181942

what i origionally thaught was exactly that. that valve timing was off and the piston(s) were going down with the exhaust valve open causing the sucking, ive pulled the valve cover, timing cover and cam bolt to check for broken parts and found none. all valves are moving. i tried to do a compression test on #2 cylinder and my guage jumped up for a second then shot back to zero... like a vacume against my guage?? i used two different guages to make sure it wasnt my tool.... im thinking the next step is to pull the head and look for burnt valves or blown head gasket allowing vacume travel between cylinders. i tried to do a leak-down test and for some reason couldnt get a good reading... anyone against or for any of this?? comments? reasons why? why not? am i on the right track? thanks for your help. its been quite frustrating. ....

View my Photos
harpojake

2012-01-08          181943

i have never heard of such a thing... not sure how the starter could turn the engine over backwards. its just a hot wire from the solenoid to the starter. couldnt see that happening but your right that would explain the symptom haha ....

View my Photos
Grampsinnm

2012-01-10          181960

Well it seems all our experts here have never heard of such a thing either. Being a simple person I first look for simple answers. Has anything been recently rewired/replaced? Could a bad switch cause this. Have you actually ascertained that the engine is turning over in the proper direction? If you can confirm that then I would look to engine internals but not before. ....

View my Photos
richwaugh

2012-01-10          181961

If the starter ran backwards the Bendix unit would not throw the pinion gear into engagement with the flywheel. The engine won't turn backwards unless you physically reverse the starter motor on the flywheel and I sincerely doubt that happened.

Vacuum at the exhaust indicates an open exhaust valve on the piston down stroke - that, or an internal engine block/head leak between the cylinder and the exhaust passage. However, a mere crack would, I think, whistle or scream noticeably and not actually create much suction at the exhaust. I still say a valve problem. ....

View my Photos
harpojake

2012-01-11          181988

ok. i pulled the head. all the valves were fine(not burnt anyways) i rotated the motor and the #2 cylinder sleeve came up out of the block with the piston. so not machined correctly. but how would this cause suction on the exhaust? prob time to price a new engine. between diag. and repair/machine shop cost its probably more practical for the customer ....

View my Photos
richwaugh

2012-01-11          182019

It's not unheard of for a cylinder sleeve to pop up like that - may just mean a bad O-ring on a wet-sleeved engine. I'd suggest you call Tommy at Affordable Tractor Sales in Texas. He's a great source, and would likely be your best bet for assistance with information and/or parts, up to an entire engine if need be. Good odds that you don't need a new engine though - call him. 979.865.4002 ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login