Go Bottom Go Bottom

agracat 2920 3pt hitch problem-hydraulic

View my Photos
my82cam
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-25          161388

i have an 05 2920 4wd agracat. i'm having a problem with the 3pt not lifting anything at all. when it is running it will drip fluid out of the vent tube but when it is shut off, after it sits, there is nothing on the dip stick. is there a valve that is stuck or filter that is plugged? i havent found a spin on type filter. the tractor sat for the last 6 months and i'm just now getting it going again. any advice would be awesome! thanks, brian. feel free to call 615 429 2196

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
my82cam

2009-03-25          161392

a little side question...when i'm checking to fluids is it when the dipstick is screwed in all the way or just unscrew wipe it off than stick it in until the bottom of the threads touch the housing or what? ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-25          161395

On Asian equipment - when the dipstick is threaded - you don't screw it back in to check levels. Unthreaded, push it all the way back in to check.

If your dealer changed out the Chinese fluids for proper AW32 hydraulic fluid, it's as clear as water when clean. I can't see mine on the dipstick either. So I use a clean rag. Rag in one hand, remove dipstick with other. Lay dipstick flat on rag, the wet spot will indicate where the fluid level was on the dipstick

Fluid coming out the vent usually means
1. overfull sump
2. air in the system
3. you've just gone up a steep slope

The fact it doesn't lift could be many things;
1. insufficient fluid
2. air leak
3. divertor valve in the wrong position
4. defective lift valve
5. bad cylinder
6. bad pump
7. clogged suction filter
8. and the list goes on

//greg//

View my Photos
my82cam

2009-03-25          161399

where would the suction filter be? i was really hoping that the problems were connected to each other. since i havent gone up any big hills i would have to say it might be air or over full. i think i mihgt drain and refill and see what happens. if the divertor valve is stuck is it rebuildable? or just replace? is that the valve by my right foot? ....

View my Photos
my82cam

2009-03-25          161405

the dipstick looks like it has been broker and than welded back onto the cap of the 3pt check-fill. the stick is about 2inches. do you know how long a normal one is? i have all 4 books but they don't seem to help that much. i think the chinese to english isnt the best translation. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-25          161409

Suction filter is inside the sump. There's a steel line that goes into the sump from the top. I think it's held in place with a triangular piece and 3 bolts. The suction screen is below that. You may find that it's collapsed. That occurs either when it's irreversibly dirty, or has sucked too much water - or both. If it's not collapsed, you can soak it in diesel fuel. If you have an air compressor, blow dry it from the inside. If not, just let it drip dry. If it's collapsed, replace it.

Divertor valve - if yours is even equipped - is either a hex head fitting on the left side of the sump, or integrated with the flow control valve below the seat front. The lift control valve is on the right side, but not by your foot. I'm not sure what that would be.

2" is about right for the dipstick. Mine only has one line on it, I consider that the full mark. I don't top up the sump until the dipstick is dry.

I have four books too, hopefully similar. Can you point out in one of them what you're calling a valve by your right foot?

//greg//

View my Photos
my82cam

2009-03-26          161415

thanks for all the information. talking to you has been more helpful than reading the books for 2 hours! lol according to the manuals it is just called a valve(behind the brake pedal on the right by my foot) but it has 2 lines that go over to the steering valve, the return line from the 3pt goes to the valve before it goes back to the hydraulic pump. i'm going to try to change the fluid and clean the sump screan. thanks for all the help! ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-03-26          161416

Ok, that's the priority valve. It has a different job than the diverter valve I mentioned earlier. Never saw one in the location you describe, usually it's underneath the right side of the fuel tank. Turning the steering wheel activates that valve to divert fluid to the steering controller. When you stop turning the steering wheel, full flow returns through the main loop (which in your case is the rear lift). One test of a dirty priority valve is if the rear lift only works when you play with the steering.

Not saying this is your problem, it's very seldom reported. But there's a remote chance that all the fluid is being looped through your steering - and none getting to the lift cylinder. The priority valve itself is pretty simple to remove for cleaning. But based upon your descriptions so far, that would be low on my own troubleshooting list.

As part of your fluid change, I would strongly recommend a kerosene flush. Diesel fuel will work too, but kero leaves less residuals. Drain as much hyraulic fluid as possible, clean the suction screen and replace. Fill sump (to the mark on the dipstick) with kerosene. Start the tractor and drive in figure 8 a few times. Raise and lower the rear lift at the same time. Shut down the tractor and drain the kero. Strain what comes out through a cheese cloth or screen. You can examine the big chunks as they come out, and make up your mind whether to run the kero through for another flush. When you're satisfied, clean or replace the suction filter again, refill with AW32 hydraulic fluid. Go through the figure 8 thing again, check the level, top off fluid if required.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
my82cam

2009-03-26          161418

that sounds like a good plan of attack on the tractor, thanks. how do i get all the kero out of the hydraulic system? if i just drain it, it wont get it all out, is it ok to leave some in there? do i take a line off and pump it out of the hyra system? i have been thinking about selling it when i get it all fixed. i don't have much need for it. i have a koyker 160 FEL a 5ft box blade and a 5ft bush hog. tractor has less than 75 hours on it and was $13K+ when it was new. tractor is in good shape, what would be a good asking price for everything together? 8500? more, less? i don't really know what it's worth. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-03-26          161419

The reason I recommend kero is twofold; (1) the specific gravity is heavier than both diesel and hydraulic fluid, so it's right there when you remove the drain plug. And (2) it's more volatile than diesel, so what little is left under drain level will evaporate faster than would diesel.

So you drain and refill with AW32. Work the system to thoroughly mix the remaining kero with the AW32. Park the tractor overnight. The kero and AW32 will separate in the sump, with the kero at the bottom. I'm sure you can take it from there.

As far as resale value - in the current economy - it's a buyer's market. Don't be disappointed at offers less than $8500. I say this, because AgraCat obviously saw you coming. If there was nothing else involved except tractor/loader/bb/mower, that package used to go for under $10k

///greg// ....

View my Photos
my82cam

2009-03-26          161428

well i guess i will take the first reasonable offer on it....:) ....

View my Photos
my82cam

2009-03-27          161447

update.....flushed it out with some good old kero, cleaned the filter that was about plugged up put it all back together...now it will actually pick the mower up with no problem!! thanks greg, you are the tractor king! since the filter was plugged up, it was returning more fluid than it could suck out because the pickup filter was clogged. now just gotta let it sit so i can drain the last little kero out after it sits for a while! thanks again! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-03-27          161454

Boy Greg, hope your hat still fits: "Tractor King". :)

I did read your comments and really thought you did a good job in explaining. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-03-27          161463

Quote:
Originally Posted by my82cam | view 161447
since the filter was plugged up, it was returning more fluid than it could suck out because the pickup filter was clogged.
Actually, the blocked suction screen was starving the pump - which in turn was pushing air back towards the sump - which in turn created foam - which then bubbled out the vent.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
my82cam

2009-03-27          161467

like i said....tractor king! lol ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This