Go Bottom Go Bottom

Can tractor generate electricity

View my Photos
Tim
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-06-07          4817

Just got a new compact; its first job is to dig a pit/slab for generator for house. I got to thinking (a little painful): Can a tractor PTO be hooked up to something to convert to 110V electricity? Or maybe alternator output to converter? I'm thinking of backup/construction use. Or how about to make air pressure?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Tim

1999-06-07          4819

Answered my own question (but pricey!). See link. ....

View my Photos
Tim

1999-06-07          4820

http://www.ssbtractor.com/PTO_generators.html ....

View my Photos
Jeff

1999-06-07          4823

Northen Hydraulics has some cheaper ones in their catalog their address ishttp://www.northern-online.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/;execmacro/main.d2w/report ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-06-08          4847

Does anyone have experience using a PTO driven generator on a compact? All the dairy farms in my area have large gen's, they run off 100hp tractors. Is this setup better worse than a stand alone/self powered unit? It would be nice to have a generator, withoutthe maintainance of "ANOTHER" motor to take care of.I have the 20hp JD4100HS,(16hp PTO I think). ....

View my Photos
al

1999-06-08          4858

i have a pto gen. made by generac. this is a heavy duty unit, rated at 25Kw. my tractor will only output about 10KW. these units are used a lot by farmers in this area, they swear by them, not at them. there are some things you need to know about these units, mine has a built in frequency meter and voltmeter, so that the throttle can be adjusted properly, if you use one of these be sure to observe voltage and frequency output, low voltage and low frequency can be detrimental to your electronic equipment. if you buy one without the meters, you can get a multimeter that reads volts and freq. from harbor freight for about $30. mine weighs 535lbs without the trailor. the operating manual states it should be bolted down to a slab or to a wide axeled trailor so it does not flip over when load is applied to the generator. i9 did not want to service another motor, and if i upgrade my tractor i can increase my gen. output, you get about 1KW for each 2 pto hp. if you need to know more e-mail me. ....

View my Photos
Norm

1999-06-08          4861

I don't have one yet, but will one day. Here is another point that I think is up there with not having another motor - the motor on your generator (i.e. you tractor) is constantly being tested for availability when you need it! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login