Go Bottom Go Bottom

2014 Honda CRV to have CVT Transmission

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-06-05          187233

As a long time Honda and CRV owner I heard that Honda may put the Accord CVT transmission into the CRV starting in 2014. I assume that this is intended to help up the miles per gallon rating.

As my experience with CVT on other cars is very negative I wonder if this move will ruin the Honda CRV ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-06-06          187265

Not the biggest fan of Consumer Reports in the world but found on autos a good source where they show the real owners experience. They gather than annually and show how major areas are in many models to cost of repair and such. Learned when there was a problem with a model there to really stay away. Has worked well for me.

I bought a Dodge Dakota about 92 and had great service from it as I avoided the auto transmission due to those reports. Must has failed to check it when I bought full size Dodge about 5 years later. Oh well I have owned two Dodges, one very good and one very bad. Or my first and my last. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-06-07          187268

I've never driven a car or pickup with a CVT, but have driven tractors with them. I can see where having an engine operate in it's most efecient RPM range may help with fuel mileage, but whether the cost of the CVT will be greater than the fuel savings, I don't know.

Some of you may be thinking "Hydrostatic" when the term CVT is used, but no they are two completely different animals.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-06-25          187494

From what I have read the Accord CVT gets very good reviews for a CVT, good for gas mileage... nicer to drive conventional automatic.. supposedly will put in CRV in fall 2014 model. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-02-13          188946

Simple well laid out instrument panel ....

Picture Link
Autos SUV Trucks 2014 Honda CRV to have CVT Transmission

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2017-04-19          196531

Revisited this post now that I actually have had a Subaru Crosstrek CVT for three years. I have paddle shifters on mine. Paddles so far good for hill decents, not that much fun for accelerating.

They have changed the CVT operation on the Crosstrek since I bought mine so the new ones may be better.

In terms of the CVT allowing automakers to allow a small engine to perform the best it can, the CVT does do that.

The mileage is outstanding and hill climbing does not do much damage to MPG like it has on other cars I own.

View my Photos
greyhorse

2017-04-25          196584

I absolutely refuse to drive any those Rubber Band boring gutless MPG squeekers. CVT Completely Vacuous Transportation...

It is laughable they add paddle shifters to to these econ boxes in the spirit of sportiness. there is simply no sport in them at all PERIOD.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login